overall
RATINGS: 2057   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Before Sierra Nevada was a reality, our founders brewed beer at home and dreamed of building a brewery one day. Back then, they brewed the beers they wanted to drink—bold and full of flavor. Stouts had always been a favorite, so when we needed a big and rich beer to test out the brewing system at our fledgling brewery, stout was the obvious choice. Thirty years later, not much has changed. We’re still brewing the beers we want to drink and our classic Stout is the same as it’s ever been—big, rich, bold, black as night and filled with the wild-eyed passion of which dreams are made.
Yeast: Ale yeast
Bittering Hops: Bravo
Finishing Hops: Cascade, Yakima Golding
Malts: Two-row Pale, Munich, Caramel, Carafa, Black, Chocolate & Roasted Barley

Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2008 I grew up within 50 miles of this brewery and have been drinking their beers for many years. It’s nice to see their distribution has increased just in time for me to move away. This is what I would consider my session stout. I feel this beer is underrated as well, possibly because most stout drinkers don’t like the hop bitterness this beer has. I prefer to refer to it as an extremely dark and roasted APA. All I can say is SN, as you get bigger, please don’t let the quality slip. I can see signs of that, but I hope it is just a phase.

whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 29, 2003
Black with red-amber edges. Aroma of anise, sour coffee, and some char. Chocolatey notes appear in the flavor along with coffee and smokiness again. Plus there's a nice dose of those hops that SN has lying around. I love the combination of sourness and bitterness that this beer provides. Rich medium to full bodied but very easy going down. SN has several great beers with nice, wide distribution and that makes me happy. A less modest brewer might call this a porter. Regardless, I still think that this beer is exceptional and underrated.

wnp22 (698) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 28, 2003
Tasted in DC from Cairo. Dark colour - opaque. Slightly tangy scent, with hint of molassis. Taste is slightly on the bitter side, and slightly thin.

roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2003
I only realize that this is a twist-off after I pop the top. Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a dark brown to black liquid that light can not penetrate with generous off-white head that collapses but lingers. Aroma is of hops and pine needles - just how I remember SNPA. Flavor is a disgustingly brutal hop and pine needle - much like SNPA. Unenjoyable enough to be a drainpour. Smells and tastes terrible. Sampled at 71 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suttree (6484) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - AUG 23, 2003
Black with a dark tan head. Dry, but also a little sweet. Mild coffee and just a touch of chocolate flavor. Dry, flinty, hoppy finish. Nice and full flavored.

carboloader (674) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 21, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2003 Pours opaque, with a small brown head. Aroma is coffee, chocolate, toffee. Taste is similar, but has a lively hoppy flavor as well. To me, more exciting than a guinness, but I love hops (even in a stout). Among my overall favorites, although I haven't yet had many in the stout category. I LOVE this one though. Re-rated 9/17/03; After drinking several more of these, this stout isn't as good as I thought with respect to the mixing of hoppiness and roastiness. Still very decent, but true stout drinkers might find it to be a confusing beer that mixes in too many ale qualities.

adrenalin112 (57) - Lake Forest, California, USA - AUG 18, 2003
Not very big, but definitely has a strong roasted flavor. Lots of hops & adequate malt. Not a bad beer & but not my favorite stout.

21iceman40 (1735) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 18, 2003
I really didnt see this as being of such high quality, but i guess im more used to the bigger stouts. Has more of a subdued roasted feel in the aroma. Pours itself as a very dark chocolate color with a thin head. Does taste quite hoppy for a stout along with some roasted peanut m'n'm notes. Too much pine, not enough coffee/ chocolate for me.

RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - AUG 17, 2003
Opaque with a thin head. The hops and alcohol dominate the taste. Good drinking, but not the best stout I've had.

motelpogo (7704) - Plzen, CZECH REPUBLIC - AUG 16, 2003
more like a dark ipa. amazingly little evidence of malt for a stout. just shitloads of cascade, typical cookie dough aroma, threatens to show some roasted fruits but they are quickly washed away with ridiculous hops. needs a little more oomph and some burnt, salty flavours