Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA - Bourbon Barrel Aged

overall
RATINGS: 10   MEAN: 3.88/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 267   ABV: 8.9%
Bottled and draft

Our year-round hop bomb aged in bourbon barrels with fresh Citra and Pacifica hops has an aggressive nose of tropical fruit that precedes coconut and vanilla.

Most RecentTicked By

coastercraze (13) - - JUN 12, 2017
A smooth finish after that complex citrus, pine and herbal character of the IPA. I thought it would be too hoppy but it full of flavor and smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

drfabulous (8488) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - APR 26, 2015
Sample thanks to Evan. Big malty bourbon taste with some sweetness. Very tasty.

Westmeister (2129) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAR 9, 2015
HMOG. I actually liked Doom so I was excited to try this one. And frankly didn’t know this existed. I one would think, vanilla/bourbon/oak and equal parts hops pine/bit dank and medium bitterness. The bourbon wasn’t too overpowering which made for a really nice combo.

Cybercat (6046) - Georgia, USA - MAR 3, 2015
Pours hazy caramel with eggshell head. Hoppy, woody aroma has bourbon tones. Hoppy, woody flavor has a bourbon note and a hint of pomme fruit. Fairly firm texture leaves a somewhat fizzy and bourbon-ish finish.

thirdeye11 (6162) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JAN 17, 2015
(750ml bottle) clearish deep bet, fine white bubbles along the edge and wisps across the top. Nose of butterscotch, west coast hops and caramel. Taste of caramel, lager yeast, dry and well carbonated, light herbal hoppiness, cola like carbonation.

joeneugs (6371) - Livermore, California, USA - JAN 17, 2015
On draft at the Torpedo Room. It pours a deep golden color with an off white head. The aroma is mostly big tropical hops with mango, blueberry, pineapple and hints of vanilla. The flavor is the same with big tropical fruit, spicy hop bitterness with oak spice and vanilla. Thankfully, not a lot of bourbon comes through at all, mostly just the oak. The IPA is very much intact and the barrel adds an interesting side note. Well done.

ben4321 (6678) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JAN 6, 2015
Location: 750 ml bottle from Sierra Nevada Mills River, 1/6/15, I was pretty excited to have gotten a hold of a bottle of this, looks like I’m the first to rate off of a bottle!

Aroma: The aroma starts off bourbon, wood, and vanilla, with tropical/citrus sneaking through
Appearance: A bright, clear orange colored beer with a nice froth of beige head and drippy lace
Flavor: Bourbon and hops, there’s a mid bitterness, and closes with a mild vanilla sweetness
Palate: The body is medium-plus, a touch of heat, but the burn is light, and it finishes pretty dry
Overall Impression: I had mixed feelings on this one. IPAs don’t always do well with the bourbon barrel treatment, but I thought the Torpedo held up reasonably well. Still, it loses some of the hop beauty that you get from the original version (which I definitely need to update my rating of considering that rating is from ’09). Anyway, it is a great looking beer, and I think the nose and flavor are enjoyable, but I’m not sure it completely worked for me. I can’t believe I’m saying "didn’t completely work" about a beer I’m scoring this highly, but it is really well done. The bourbon flavors are well developed, I just wanted the hop flavors to be a little less muted underneath.

brokensail (16633) - Dublin, California, USA - DEC 15, 2014
On tap @ The Torpedo Room. Clear amber pour with an off-white head. Smells decently hoppy at least. Orange peel, lemon zest, pine, and some grapefruit. Pretty sweet, though. A bunch of caramel malt, bourbon, and vanilla. Flavor is sweet and caramel forward and has some of that stale hop note to it. Decent enough citrus zest and peel. Somewhat bitter and piney. A bit of wood and booze. Sweet bourbon and maybe some toffee.

skoisirius (1909) - Earth, Washington, USA - DEC 7, 2014
Nicely done! Tap at the Brewery. Hints of vanilla, citrus, and oaky bourbon on the nose. Sweet with oaky coconut up front, citrusy bourbon on the back, pretty dank, flavors mix well, and nothing is overdone. Snagged a growler of it ;) .

bhensonb (15624) - Woodland, California, USA - DEC 6, 2014
Tap at the brewpub. Pours hazy amber with a white head. Aroma is a little bourbon a little fruity/citrus. Med body. Flavor is moderately bourbon, pretty ctirus/fruit hoppy. Maybe some resin. Nice; the bourbon is not overdone.