overall
RATINGS: 1289   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.46/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Sierra Nevada uses malt within days of roasting at the peak of its flavor to give Tumbler a gracefully smooth malt character. Two-row pale, crystal 40, chocolate and smoked malts give it a malty complexity. Challenger hops in the boil add balancing bitterness, while more Challengers and some Goldings give just enough hop flavor in the finish to balance all that malt.

GreatDane1632 (1169) - North Dakota, USA - NOV 23, 2014
Rated from notes taken 18 Sep 2012 -- A great fall beer. Drinking this makes me feel like the leaves are changing colors around me and I need to bundle up. A great fall seasonal, one of the best (that isn’t a pumpkin).

aumentm (452) - North Carolina, USA - NOV 23, 2014
So smooth and silky. It has a nice roast smell and malty taste. Good autumn color and nice balance.

KansaiBeerLvrs (5147) - Kyoto, JAPAN - NOV 12, 2014
Ok I love seasonal beers and it is almost time to switch over to Winter Warmers & Christmas beers so I figured I move fast and have my Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale. This is my first Sierra Nevada in quite a while! Bottle served in a pint glass it pours a clear deep mahoganey brown with a foamy beige head that lasts quite a long time. A nice aroma of toasted malts, some nuttiness, brown sugar and maybe a touch of cacao. Medium bodied with quite a lively carbonation makes it pop in your mouth. The taste is sweet toasted malts, a bit bready with some nuttiness and a mild coffee bean/cacao bitterness in the finish. It is quite a satisfying beer for a not terribly exciting style - good work.

ZacM612 (716) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - NOV 2, 2014
Clear, dark amber/brown with a little beige head. Caramel, malty flavor with a little hint of chocolate. Nice.

Cakes (436) - New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 28, 2014
12 oz bottle. Probably the best looking brown ale that I have ever seen, and easily the best brown ale that I have have over the past two years. Pours an amber brown color with off white head.. Tastes of:Malt, nut, caramel and toffee aroma. Caramel, nut, toffee, malt and biscuit flavors. Medium light body and moderate carbonation. Toffee and biscuit finish. Outstanding.

foyle (421) - Wyoming, USA - OCT 25, 2014
Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Appearance: 2+" frothy cream colored head, mostly clear dark reddish-brown with tons of streaming carbonation. Aroma: yeasty bread dough, a bit of smoke, some floral and citrus, a bit of toffee and raisin. Mouthfeel: medium bodied, somewhat slick, with a dry finish. Flavor: rich roasted malts, some citrus rind and floral hops, a bit coffee and raisin, a lingering smokey finish. Overall: I really enjoy brown ales, but am not a fan of smokey flavors. I can’t really criticize the beer, but it not to my particular tastes due to the smoke. I would probably rate it much higher without the smoked malts.

AirForceHops (7233) - Epping, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 12, 2014
12 oz. bottle purchased at Julio’s Liquors. Deep brown color, slight fading head. Aroma is chocolate, toasted nuts, and a very mild smoke.

The flavor is a mirror of the aroma. The body is really hearty for such a low ABV brew. Drying texture. Easy to drink and I wouldn’t turn this down if offered a bottle.

bubblehouse (1527) - louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 11, 2014
A nice and malty brown ale that pours closer to a black color. Light aroma but a really good flavor.

Shaggy4 (14) - Maryland, USA - OCT 4, 2014
Nice pour, tall thick tan head, light sweet aroma. Medium brown in color, clear. Toasted malty and caramel flavors. Slight hops finish.

JohnGalt1 (1721) - Boise, Idaho, USA - OCT 3, 2014
I would never put this in the American brown category.... This should be an English Brown. Pours with a nice tan head.. 1" ... The brew is crystal clear polished chestnut. Nose is slight roasty qualities.. some good nutty notes and deep toast... Flavor is very balanced... toasty malts... some roasted malt elements toward the finish that combine with a bit of minerally notes and seem only mildly (maybe in my head) astringent.. still plenty of roasted nut qualities throughout.. nice punch of earthy hops keep the whole brew in check. Lite/medium body with a nice smooth carbonation. Edit: I really like this one.. I am not sure about some of the negative reviews.. but I honestly really dig the malt driven brown ale right now.