overall
Brewed by Sinebrychoff (Carlsberg)
Style: Baltic Porter
Kerava, Finland

RATINGS: 1279   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.86/5   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Sinebrychoff Porter is a dark unfiltered beer manufactured by using top fermentation. Munich malts and plenty of hops impart a strong flavour to the beer.

Sigmund (7468) - Tau, NORWAY - MAR 22, 2003
(Bottle). Pitch black porter, even held against the light. Tan head. Complex aroma of coffee, cocoa, dried fruits, ensilage(!) and oak. The full and rich flavour has coffee, bitter chocolate and loads of roasted maltiness. Not too sweet, just the right bitterness in the aftertaste. This must be a world class porter!

seuinoz (257) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - JUL 26, 2003
very dark color (black as night.) coffee smell when bottle was opened, coffee smell got stronger once in the glass. very iffy taste at first, then a very pleasent taste after it warmed up a bit. a very tasty porter. shocked that something from finland tasted that good. not a cheap bottle eather(but well worth the money.

Braudog (6712) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - MAR 2, 2004
Wow, what a presentation ... thick black beer with a dark tan solid head, like I'd dropped a scoop of coffee ice cream into it. The beer is elegantly creamy, wonderfully roasty, lightly hopped with a light sweet finish. This is the best porter I've ever had.

Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - AUG 29, 2004
After having a couple of lackluster-to-awful porters, I was only too happy to rush into the arms of this little Finnish beauty, whose depth and character I’d already been acquainted with, and the reunion was most satisfying. Color, a thorough black, firmly opaque, with a flourishing, brown, cakey head, puffy, crusty, elegantly crumbling down. A bewitching brunette. Aroma is sinfully dark, and smooth, carefree, untroubled, untrammelled. Espresso notes, rich and bitter, emerge and dominate, but not suffocating the essentially smooth and creamy character. Smooth and bitter, it may seem contradictory, but that is the way with complex personalities. A pleasure to drink deep into the nose, offering further complexities the furhter along we go. On first taste, a great blaze of bitterness, that soon mellows. Excellent texture, perfect play ont hetongue, long, tasty finish. Full-bodied, full-flavored, sturdy and spectacular mouthfeel, giving away associations of molasses, rum, raisins, chocolate, warm, rich, lush, giving. This is the stuff, I kept thinking, and felt the desire to nothing but luxuriate in it’s company. Let the world shut off around me, neglect thoughts of duller cares, and let this magnificent creation perform it’s work upon me. The heat and the flavor grow more intense and powerful and the glass grows empty, making the the final sips strain slower, eking them out at miniscule increments, that I might savor every ...last...drop...ah!

green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 6, 2005
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2005 3/6/05:Maybe I was delirious. I tried a Alpha Klaus before this one and the Sinebrychoff (koff or whatever it is) just floored me. What a dream of a porter. Cellar Temp. Black with a brown head, pours like motor oil. Great aroma of chocolate and dates. Light but creamy body avoiding the “isn’t this a stout, pitfall”. Wonderful complexity in the flavor profile. At this point my notes drift into incoherent babble of pure bliss. I returned to note that as and added bonus there are interesting and equally delightful changes as the beer warms. Bravo! 3/27/05 Rerate Was not delerious on first rating. This is one of the best beers I have ever had.

pege58 (2) - FINLAND - NOV 22, 2006 does not count
Winter and cold weather are the friends of this dark and tasteful beer. Try this 50/50 Koff porter/light lager(any) and you will find something very special enjoyable year-round.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - FEB 10, 2007
This was bottled in 1997. I don’t think I’ve had a beer nearly this old before. It’s delightful. Cocoa aroma, delicious-looking head, blacker ’n a steer’s tookus. Medium to thin body made up for by strong doppelbocky, Scotch-aley malt presence, with a combination of sweet and smoky finish. Strong finish has flavor particles crisply dancing on the tongue. (Medium-thin body actually works well on this - moving the palate score from 4 to 5.) I’ll gladly have another. Worth seeking out. Subsequent tastings might make this come down some, but right now it’s right up there.

I love the malt flavor of Weltenburger Asam-Back. This is the closest I’ve seen a beer come to that. Scarily close.

I think I may come to really love this style.

elgiacomo (745) - Ringgold/Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, USA - OCT 29, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 23, 2009 33cl bottle. A very good lookin’ beer, pours very dark brown with a big frothy brown head. Plenty of sticky lacing. This really came to life after about 15 minutes in the glass. Aroma is a powerful blend of dark chocolate, dark fruits, malt, coffee. One of the best I’ve encountered so far...I find myself drinking it very slowly so I can continue to take in the aroma. Shoulda bought two... Flavor is more of whats in the aroma, very chocolaty. Sweet. Very smooth and rich, but not overly heavy. I’ve been hunting a Baltic Porter for a while, and this Sinebrychoff is an amazing beer. One of the best I’ve ever had.

ordybill (1758) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - OCT 18, 2015
Poured from a 330 ML bottle into a snifter at the World of Beer in Cary, NC. Wow, the appearance is pure black gold with a small creamy tan head . The aroma is full of malt, coffee bean and cocoa. . . outstanding. The flavor is pure malt heaven and is very rich. An outstanding porter.

bboeckl (142) - Grafton, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 30, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2009 Bottle. Dark black body with tan head. Retains head well. Head was bubbly at first and later turned more creamy. This is one of my favorite styles. A taste reveals, dark roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, baker’s chocolate. Powdered cocoa. There are plums, raisins, nuts. but I am most struck by the dark chocolate. Hmmm, I wonder what this one would taste like brandy barrel aged? Only complaint might be that the finish is a bit weak and abrupt. Excellent Baltic Porter. This is how it is done right!