overall

RATINGS: 109   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
When I think of the word “Stout,” all the words and images that are conjured have one thing in common: LARGE SIZE. I believe a stout should be a celebration of all the robust flavors of its signature style. Therefore, I created the Sixpoint Otis as an accentuation of the distinguishing characteristics of stout beer: roasted flavor, full body, and hop bitterness. My favorite style of stout is Oatmeal Stout - a rare variety that earns its name from brewers adding whole flaked oats to the mash. When added in small quantities, I find the oats do not typically add much flavor to the stouts, but they have an incredible impact on the mouthfeel and body. Celebrate our Oatmeal Stout by enjoying its texture! The oats provide a silky, velvety mouthfeel. Celebrate our Oatmeal stout by enjoying its roastedness! I add extra quantities of roasted barley – the malt that lends stout beer its dark color – to provide a flavor of rich coffee. Celebrate our Oatmeal Stout by enjoying its balance! The deep caramel, toffee, and molasses flavors are complimented by even additions of hops throughout. Celebrate by ordering a pint of the Otis!

msojka (457) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2010
On tap at Rattle n Hum. Pours black with a lasting tan head. Smells of sweet coffee with some chocolate notes. Tastes mesh well on the tongue with some carbination as well. Taste is overall similar to nose, very enjoyable.

Jow (4125) - Orlando, Florida, USA - MAR 29, 2011
On tap at Beer for Beasts. Otis is delicious. Silky smooth and velvety tastes of chocolate, coffee, some caramel and hints ofhops bitterness. Very drinkable stout.

maneliquor (3514) - Perth, AUSTRALIA - APR 24, 2011
Draught at rattle n hum. Pours a very dark brown with some red hues as well as a small white head. Toasted aromas are prominant with grass and mint coming into play with some typical coffee and wood flavours. Pine, wood and ripe berries are on the tongue. Good beer

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2011
Otis! My main man! Multiple pints of this at Blind Tiger, NYC. Thanks to my Brazilian homeboys for serving me up a few and for toasting Sepultura. This was the best of the many beers I tried from Sixpoint this spring, a superb session stout that’s perfectly to style and filled with character. Pour was delectable, with a thick sedimental look to it, and a fat creamy head. Nose of very understated chocolate, abundant (but not over-assertive) roast malts, and some hops. Mouthfeel is really lush and inviting, not a milkshake but thick as hell, with a chalky dry finish. Tastes are more or less what’s promised in the nose, but - with the great texture of the mouthfeel and the finish, and complemented by an addition of mild smoke - even better. Great stuff.

stangger (619) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 7, 2011
From Iron Abbey Sixpoint beer dinner. Notes only. I actually have no relevant notes, though I remember this being quite good. The only thing I have written down is "I never liked Jes. I have no idea how she got invited to the wedding."

Travlr (26276) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - OCT 17, 2011
Draft. Dark brown, thick brown head. Interesting pine aroma. Smooth chocolate and subtle coffee taste.

Goodgrief (2062) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - DEC 13, 2011
On tap at Pinocchio’s. Dark pour, floofy head, lacing all up and down the glass. Lots of oat the nose and flavor. Just a mild bitterness from roast, subtle hints of coffee. Smooth on the tongue from the nitro pour. Enjoyable.

gnoff (11100) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - FEB 3, 2012
Draught at Rattle ’N’ Hum, NYC, on January 30, 2012
Black color, light brown head. Sweet, smooth, malty, roasted, grainy taste. Medium, a bit moussy, still sort of smooth grainy mouthfeel. Grainy roasted aftertaste. Dry, roasted scent.

bp (923) - New York, New York, USA - JAN 19, 2014
Draft: pours dark black with a thick foamy head, roasted malty aroma and taste with some coffee notes. Extremely smooth bodied beer.

beerbill (3618) - Laurel, New York, USA - MAR 1, 2009
On cask at Bellport Cold Beer and Soda. Thank you to Dave for letting me tap the cask, my first one! My virginity has now been broken. Pours very dark brown, not quite black, with a thin, bubbly, tan head. Pleasant aroma of roasted malt and a few notes of coffee as well. The flavor is char, roasted malt, and perhaps a touch of coffee. Characteristic bitter Sixpoint finish. If there are oats in here to lend smoothness, I’m not getting any of it. A solid stout nonetheless.