overall

RATINGS: 1102   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   IBU: 103   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
It’s been less than a year since we released our four core beers in cans, and we’re ecstatic to announce a new addition to the flock. This isn’t a seasonal release, like the Autumnation of last fall or Diesel, still going ’round this winter. It isn’t our upcoming spring seasonal can, either. It’s a never-before-released, big beer in a slim, 12 oz. can with a potent burst of hops and as strong as an ox: Resin. We zeroed in on the botanical structure of the hop cone to get to the essence of this beer. When hops are at their peak maturity, their cores swell up with a sticky, golden, resinous substance that is the flavor you crave from an IPA. WIth an IBU of 103 and ABV of 9.1%, Resin can be loosely described as a double IPA — but rarely do Sixpoint beers adhere to any strict style demands.

alcaponejunior (438) - Texas, USA - NOV 20, 2013
Orange, a touch of haze, good head and sticky lace. Aroma and flavor match the name, very resiny hoppy, with a touch of malt backbone just for a hint of the semblance of balance, and the lightest sweetness. Hops mostly dominate tho, with pine, citrus, a touch of spice perhaps. Body is very nice, almost chewy, much thicker than many double IPAs, but that doesn’t take away at all, if anything it’s a plus. Resinous, bitter, oily finish. Very nice, I’m glad I picked up a four pack. I will try another four pack of a different sixpoint beer next time I shop for commercial beer. My only suggestion for the brewery is that their packages aren’t clearly labeled as to what style of beer is contained within. I was a little hesitant to pick up a four and try them because I wasn’t sure which one was which style. Decided to just take a chance on this one, figuring resin COULD mean IPA or IIPA (but I suppose it could have meant other things too). Overall, a very tasty and interesting take on a IIPA. I will certainly buy this one again. I like the slim-line cans too, they fit on the door of a fridge more efficiently.

Mep3222 (1560) - East Greenbush, New York, USA - NOV 11, 2013
Aroma of malt and hops. Mostly malt but some piney hop aroma as well. Taste is very piney. Like chewing a pine tree. Almost oily hops. But very piney flavored and bitter resinous finish. Much too far on the pine hop aroma for me, but if that is the hop profile you are after this could be an amazing beer for you. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

MrBeerFanatic (1057) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - NOV 10, 2013
Pours a medium amber orange hues that is a little cloudy with a decent head. Aromas grapefruit, citrus, caramel, fruity all around. Flavors grapefruit, citrus, little pine and some caramel in the back. Medium to high bitterness and medium sweet. A great all around DIPA with some great fruity aromas.

fishonmyplane (505) - Newington, Connecticut, USA - NOV 6, 2013
Very bitter. Medium malt backbone, which gives it at least a hint of balance. Resiny, dank, sticky, citrusy hops. Not much subtlety or complexity, just an in-your-face DIPA. I don’t think it’s as unique as they make it out to be, but it’s a good representation of the style. Unfortunately I haven’t really been into the ultra-bitter IPA’s lately, otherwise I might have rated this one a bit higher.

Strife21 (338) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 5, 2013
Pours copperish amber with a finger of thick foamy head. Head laces glass. Smells of resin, hops, pine and citrus. Bitter danky hop flavor with notes of resin and pine. Not much if any malt presence. Not much sweetness either. Medium body, lightly carbonated. Not as complex as I’d prefer.

burg326 (5482) - Florida, USA - NOV 2, 2013
Poured an amber orange color with aromas of huge pine and citrus. A very nice hop unchain the aroma. Flavors are pine, resin, citrus, hoppy as hell, but enjoyable. I think ill have another.

mverity (294) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - NOV 1, 2013
I really like the head on this beer... Great retention, but larger bubbles than I’m used to seeing from IPAs; but the lacing is fairly poor. The aroma is very floral and super hoppy but with a candy-like sweetness behind. The taste is great for the style, but this isn’t my IPA. Too much of piney/resinous hop character. I admit that it is well balanced and has the great hop forwardness people enjoy in DIPAs; however, I just can’t get into this beer. I find this beer a tad thin for a DIPA too. I do enjoy the hop bite on my tongue. I’ll definitely suggest this beer for people who like more pine or resin or earth in their IPAS.

SpringsLicker (3638) - Tennessee, USA - OCT 30, 2013
Slightly hazy medium yellow body with a fleeting white head. Sweet, spicy fruity malt aroma. The flavor is slightly to the sweet side, but balanced nicely by the hop bitterness. Really hides the alcohol well.

Xaltotun (5) - Bern, SWITZERLAND - OCT 24, 2013 does not count
from "drinks of the world" in Bern. Aroma: Intense Hops , grass and some citrus. Taste suprises with an unexpected sweetness, followed by fruity hops and a very bitter palate. nice!

luttonm (6271) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 22, 2013
Thanks to my friends Gretchen and Glen who had a can of this waiting for my arrival in Queens last week. Turns out to be a super tasty beer. Can in New York City. First real beer of the trip. Very tart resinous hops way up front (they want me to say that, right?), good earthy, floral hop flavors are the backbone of the beer. Very Good bittering and super tasty, with residual sweetness making it a sticky beer, with a bit of a juicy body to meld together the heavy hops and alcohol. Its a very nice tasting beer, that I would be happy to have around any time. Very drinkable for this profile, great freshness too. 3.8