overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 56   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Created with pale, malted barley, European hops, and special aromatic hops and a subtle touch of blueberry in the finish. The best selling blueberry ale in America

BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - NOV 28, 2006
Bottle: Amber color, average head. Nose of light malt and some faint dry blueberry notes, almost like boysenberry. The flavor is like those little dehidrated blueberries in the instant pancake mixes. Thin, dry, so-so. I could use a bit more intensity (dry berrying?) and body. Fun though.

dankbrewqueen (41) - Morongo Valley, California, USA - NOV 27, 2006
One of the tastiest beers I have had yet. Just a hint of blueberry does the trick for this scrumptious ale!

dwyerpg (6378) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - NOV 6, 2006
Well, it smells strongly of blueberries and it tastes like blueberries too, but in the end this is not so tasty. On tap at the Yard House in Anaheim.

BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - SEP 7, 2006
I’ve been on a fruit beer kick lately so I picked this up. If it didn’t say blueberry in the name, I would have thought this was an okay amber. Zero blueberry in aroma or flavor for me, but it was still a smooth, drinkable beer. Lots of malt, semi sweet.

Saarlander (1686) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - AUG 6, 2006
Huge blueberry aroma, but thats about all, slight blueberry aftertaste, very watery, easy to chug, but nothing great.

OldMrCrow (2446) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 18, 2006
From the bottle. Pours clear amber with a moderate head.

I can’t understand the generally high ratings that this one has received. I think it’s pretty close to awful, but I got to try it in such a nice way that in the general spirit of Mother’s "If you don’t have anything nice to say...", I’d rather talk about that than about why I don’t like the beer.

<hr>

There’s this guy who sells fruit down near the beach. He’s always got marvellous fruit that’s he has driven over from the farms on the east side of the state --- the real stuff, strawberries that taste like strawberries instead of the waxy facsimile they sell in supermarkets these days, rainier cherries, peaches that take your breath away, glorious raspberries, the whole deal. Anyway, he and I shoot the bull every time I stop by to see him

The other day I asked how he was doing.

I’m doing great! I’ve got the best job in the world," he answered. "I just sit here in the shade and all day long, smiling women in bikinis bring me money."

"I know the feeling," I lied. "But money’s nothing. You know you’ve got it made when you can get them to bring you beer."

"They do" he answered, and I laughed. "No really, they do..."

So today I stopped by there again, and bought the usual assortment of fruit. He said "Hey...I’ve got something for you. This woman up the hill dropped these by for me today." He pulled out a SLO Brewing Co. Blueberry Ale (not distributed in Washington state, to the best of my knowledge) and handed me one. "Here - try this. I haven’t tried it yet, but she swears it’s good stuff." So along with my eight apricots, my pint of raspberries, and my pint blueberries, I got to try this beer that I’d never seen before. Pretty good deal!

<hr>

So that’s the story. As for the beer? Strong blueberry aroma. Flavor of melon, unripe papaya, and a bit of blueberry on top of a rather skunky pale ale. Bitter, metallic finish tinged with melon that does nothing to improve it. Yuck.

But who cares! What a great way to pick up a new beer. I’ll throw it a couple of points on the overall just for that.

bhensonb (15621) - Woodland, California, USA - JUL 15, 2006
Amber gold color. Smells of blueberries and yeast. Not much head, but delicate lacing (plastic pint glass). The start is grassy, passing through confusion, but the end, which persists, is blueberry. The hops tend to get lost in the fruit. Not so bad. Interesting. But buy another six pack?

SDalkoholic (2408) - Linda Vista, California, USA - JUN 9, 2006
Bottle: Pours a faded copper color with a small fizzy head. A strong aroma of blueberry and background of hay and hop. Flavor has gone flat from extensive shelf life but maintains a grain and hay flavor with artifical blueberry. I couldnt imagine this being that good even if it was from a fresh bottle or keg.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 18, 2006
Pour is clear ruddy amber with a thin white head...smell is blueberry, with an unpleasant warm soggy malt (like when you go to a brewery while they are brewing) smell...taste is bright, with some strange malty flavors, but the blueberry being acidic and metallic...blech...

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAY 4, 2006
Draught. Clear copper color with thin white head. Pleasant blueberry aroma and flavor. Slightly sweet. Not cloying as some fruit beers are. Crisp, effervescent, and very refreshing.