overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 55   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 126   ABV: 4.2%
Created with pale, malted barley, European hops, and special aromatic hops and a subtle touch of blueberry in the finish. The best selling blueberry ale in America

0.8
Shadallion (534) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAY 13, 2003
Truly awful swill! Not at all a pleasant mixture of blueberries and ale. Tastes like someone tossed a few blueberry sweet-tarts in an inferior pale ale, shook it up, urinated in it, and then sold it to me. I'd rather drink Skyy Blue.

Blake (396) - Orange, California, USA - MAR 1, 2003
Had from bottle on March 1, 2003
An interesting beer, I picked this one up out of sheer curiosity. How many blueberry ales are there (I'm sure I could search and find out, but this is one of two I know of). The beer poured a hazy yellow (a bit darker than the normal ale) with a normal sized, quickly gone head. The aroma has a strong blueberry scent which is a sweet smell that accentuates the positives in this beer. The beer has a pleasant blueberry flavoring with a slight hint of malt. I'm not a real fan of the fruity beers (other than <a href=ShowBeer.asp?BeerID=1195&FanOfID=5164>Rode Alexander - which to be exact isn't a "fruit beer"). But this one was a pleasant surprise and was easy to drink with a sweet aftertaste. Recommended.

microdyke (360) - Portland, Oregon, USA - DEC 25, 2002
I only gave it a high mark because I was pleasantly surprised. Fruit beers can really be fake in flavor sometimes. This beer tasted like real blueberries. It was almost peppery.

stephen (308) - California, USA - DEC 2, 2002
Bottle. Bottle conditioned. Copper with coarse head. Way over carbonated. I can’t stop burping its so bad. But for a fruit beer the flavor is subtle and the base beer is very simple and clean. Crisp with a hint of bitterness. Tone down the carbonation and I actually might try this one again during the summer.

burpfrank (299) - carpinteria, California, USA - MAY 27, 2007
Had at the new Santa Barbara Downtown brewing co.,which took over Slo brewing.This beer had an unnoticeable aroma.Color typical amber beer color.The taste was quite surprising at first.It had a subtle blueberry taste,which didn’t overpower the beer.I think what ruined this beer for me is they used a too heavy of a bodied beer.The beer taste was too strong for the blueberry taste.I think a good pale ale would be a better match for this blueberry beer.Not bad though,just could have been much better.Nice concept.Will probably drink again.

akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2003
Blueberries up the wazoo! a dark golden body with poor clarity is not really exciting. the aroma is bluebarry pancakes, not bad if it is sunday morning but this was monday night and i wanted a beer! the flavor almost had some malt in it but then the blueberries came back to haunt me. they were everywhere, no balance here. at least the body was on the light side and the carbonation was moderate so this scooted out of range of the taste buds farely quickly.

BeaverBrown (245) - Portland, Oregon, USA - MAR 24, 2003
This is a gold clear beer. I could not taste the blueberry in this beer. I felt it had more of a peppery taste and you could tell it was from a bottle.

666seth (229) - California, USA - JAN 17, 2003
Decent head, pours in hazy amber in color. Didn't like the aroma of Blueberry, didn't like the disturbing taste of blueberries. But thats just me

rodolito (163) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 6, 2003
Poured a hazy yellow/gold with a thin white head. Aroma chock full of sweet blueberries. Blueberry dominated the flavor, with a light malt and faint hop aftertaste. Moderately carbonated (fizzy on the tongue) and moderate mouthfeel. Less blueberry and more of other flavors would make this more appealing to me.