Small Town Not Your Fathers Root Beer (5.9%)

RATINGS: 460   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
5.9% version sold in 6 pack 12 oz bottles.

1.4
Zilverenmaan (308) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - DEC 14, 2017
Poors like cola with the same fizzing short lasting head. Aroma like root beer, not bad. Taste like rootbeer at first, then artificial and bad, sweet, no malts, no hops... They fooled me, this is not beer, any soda version is just as tasty and probably contains the same amount of sugar/ artificial sweetener too. Any alcohol content in this "brew" is totally unnecessary. Had two of these, gave me a headache.

kajser27 (2065) - Zagreb, CROATIA - NOV 15, 2017
Deep amber to dark brown colored, no head. Aroma is of some vanilla, peppermint, strong enough to feel like mouthwash, some spice, sugary feel to it. Taste is very sweet and sugary, again peppermint mouthwash, vanilla, spices, caramel. Medium bodied, soft to flat. I suppose some people like this kind of stuff...
(bottle)

Marko (6183) - Split / Zagreb, CROATIA - NOV 13, 2017
Thanks Ivan P.! Shared with him, kajser and others from their firm. Erm, okay, Dark brown body with an ephemeral brownish head. The aroma is... wow. Never having had actual root beer (I think) I had no idea what to expect. My friends insisted it was Listerine, but I haven't really smelled that either. But I'm quite sure I'd experienced that same taste in some toothpastes I've used randomly here and there. Sorta like bubblegum, vanilla underneath and sweet. Whatever sweetness there was in the aroma (and there was plenty, it's exponentially larger in the taste, especially when it warmed. I actually dug this "root beer" taste (won't even try to venture a guess if it's sassafras or sarsaparilla), accentuated by the vanilla, but in the end it was too sweet to bear. Surprisingly respectable, different, but... I completely and utterly see and respect people not liking this at all.

LeChuck beware!

ELREDSKINS (1) - Hanover, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 22, 2017 does not count
Tastes just like root beer. Smooth flavor, no bitter after taste. $12 per 6 pack. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

willisread (3703) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 11, 2017
Bottle shared with my bro-in-law. Pours a cola-like brown with a finger of foam that dissipates quickly. Licorice, nutmeg and ginger nose. Sweet on the palate, slightly cola-like stickiness. Good amount of spice, but quite sweet. Alcohol is noticeable.

PotjeBier (3783) - Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS - OCT 7, 2017
12 oz bottle. Been curious about this for a while, as a root beer lover. Pours dark brown, like cola, with a brownish head that immediately disappears. Aroma's are sweet, vanilla, tooth paste, honey, in other words: root beer. Flavor is heavy sweet with a touch of (nutmeg?) bitterness. Alcohol is definitely noticable, but it still drinks deceptively easy, probably because of the sweetness. Light bodied. Just a hint of herbal bitterness in the finish. A nice novelty, and I like it cause I like root beer, but it doesn't beat Virgil's.

aaron2213 (3) - - SEP 5, 2017 does not count
First of this type of beer for me....very strong stuff (for me). Highly recommend this for those that like root beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

natejgood (531) - Bozeman, Montana, USA - JUL 29, 2017
I’m drinking this in a glass over ice as the label suggests. I would have guessed that this was a flavored malt beverage rather than a beer. Looks and tastes like root beer. A bit sweeter than some craft root beers but pretty typical for a large scale root beer. Aroma - smells like root beer. Appearance - looks like root beer. Taste - tastes like root beer. Palate - like you are drinking a root beer. So the story is that this is pretty much like root beer with an ABV. If that is what you are looking for it is quite good. If you are looking for a typical beer, even a flavored or spiced beer, this is probably going to be a little sweet and syrupy for you.

BlackBeerPG (940) - Darien, Illinois, USA - JUL 19, 2017
Taste: sweet spice, root beer, vanilla, and some alcohol bite. same with the nose. Dark Brown, clear, no head at all. Medium body. Slight artificial aftertaste in the finish.

ManVsBeer (10973) - Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND - JUN 26, 2017
Bottle from IGA, Cookeville, Tennessee. Not so much strong tasting in strength, but certainly in its medicinal character, which lingers long. Has a sticky-sweet texture.