overall
RATINGS: 1859   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 65 IBU’s, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that’s not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

EKGoldings (664) - Radford, Virginia, USA - MAR 10, 2007
There are so many nice IPAs being brewed these days its hard for any to truly stand out. This one is tasty, not over the top but not underpowered either. I really like the hopping on this beer.

Drink4Satan (677) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - MAR 2, 2007
There are some particulates floating around in the golden body. The smell is of strong pine and lemon rind. Tastes the same with a bid of bready malts. The balance of malt and piney hops is incredible. The booze is hardly detectable, but the after taste is a bitter smack in the face that catches you off gaurd if your not prepared. I don’t recomend this beer to people just getting into micro-brew beer. It’s a bit extreme.

markgugs (86) - Wood Ridge, New Jersey, USA - FEB 27, 2007
poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip pint glass A: Not terribly impressive to look at, at least not compared with many of the other IPAs I’ve seen/drank of late. Pale, golden yellowish in color, very little head, though nice lacing. S: Considering the appearance of this beer, the scents are more of the malted biscuit variety, without a lot of the obvious hop presence coming forth. Nice, though. T/M: Now we’re talking. For a beer that didn’t look that great, and didn’t smell all that robust, it’s all made up for in the taste! I guess that’s all that matters anyway, right? BIG chunks of bitter hops dominate this brew (so much so that I thought the beer had gone bad after my first sip) and are kept in check nicely by a quality bready, biscuity malted sweetness. The finish is ALL bitter grapefruit though, so be prepared. D: If you’re a hophead (like me), this is a delicious beer that seems to get better with each sip, and then each bottle. Probably too much alcohol to session with, but I’d put this back every chance I got. Excellent.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 26, 2007
At the 2007 Big Beer, Belgians, & Barleywines Festival in Vail. Pours flocculent orange with a thin white head. Relentless hop barrage to the nose. Flavor is like eating the grapefruit rind, but tossing away the fruit. It needs more malt to boost the balance and increase the heat for this much IBU.

rocbyter (2124) - Waterbury, Connecticut, USA - FEB 24, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 26, 2010 Citrus hop aroma. Pours a cloudy golden color. Lots of stuff floating in this one. Head dissipates quickly. Nice hop bite with a bit of an acidic finish.

blinesam (235) - USA - FEB 22, 2007
i agree that this is not a training-wheels ipa but this beer more of an "extreme" beer than anything else. The beer is so hoppy that each sip give you a soapy taste. not my cup of tea...or beer

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Orange, with some sediment floating around. Nice little head. Aroma is fresh citrus. Flavor is pretty good, but not incredibly smooth. Nice . . . for an East Coast IPA.

Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - FEB 15, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2009 What a freaking GEM. I could write a book about this beer. But I won’t. Beautiful chunktastic yeastpuff neon gold color with a starched white creamtoast head. The flavor of this beer is one of a brightly citrusy IPA with an even brighter future. When you saw this beer ride its first tricycle you thought "it doesn’t even need the training wheels!, that’s my son god damnit!" I thought that too--I was the creepy guy watching you watch your son ride his bike. I was drunk. On this, because it’s so good! Sprites of parched laundry detergent, and oddly enough it is that unique grapefruit-laundry detergent taste that keeps me buying this beer every summer and winter. Smutty brews have a unique undertone to every beer that shows it’s head the way homebrewer’s who get all their ingredients from the same source will have, and in this beer the Smut is at full sail, and for me, full boner. Your son rides good. I seen him.

lagomswedish (213) - Umeå, SWEDEN - FEB 15, 2007
Bottle @ Oliver Twist, Stockholm (thanks Thomas!) This is just what I needed on a cold, blustery night in the capital - a hop fix US style! Hazy copper coloured and short lasting head. Brutal hit of grapefuit and pine hop aromas that let’s the tongue know what’s it’s about to get itself into. Doesn’t disappoint either, with a blast of sweet grapefuit rind, grass and caramel. Mellows out in the middle, to leave a long, dry finish. Great beer, fantastic label!

Beerdedone (3408) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2007
pours a nice hazy blond with a decent head. aroma of citrusy sweet hops, with pine and spice notes. flavor is a bold and intense hop taste,with a touch of malt. finishes dry & bitter