overall
RATINGS: 1859   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 65 IBU’s, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that’s not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

bennygazooks (2) - Alabama, USA - JUN 23, 2004 does not count
Finally a world class IPA on the east coast. The NY Times was correct in naming this the best IPA in the world. It’s fairly new to the market so I would imagine a lot of folks have not tried it. Big nose, lace like fine Irish linen, bursting with grapefruiy, citrus, hops, an explosion of flavor in the mouth. The finish? Long, subtle, dances on the tounge. I want more!! I want my Smuttynose!!!

ScottD71 (1) - Beverly, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 20, 2007 does not count
Absolutely one of the best IPA’s I’ve ever had. Great for all seasons. Cloudy dark gold color, armoa that pucnches you in the nose, and a bitter taste from start to finish.

MusicManBr (2) - São Paulo, BRAZIL - MAY 7, 2012 does not count
My favorite IPA. A lot of flavor with a lot of hop. A strong IPA for IPA lovers. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

trollcat (20) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 5, 2014
Apart from some high quality unique big bottled beers, smuttynose IPA can’t be beat. Magnificent IPA gifted by God with hoppy goodness and a crisp grapefruit aftertaste. Know smutty, know beer.

humanekt (6) - - MAR 16, 2014 does not count
I’m fairly new to beer and am really enjoying figuring out what I like. It didn’t take long to discover that a strong hoppy, bitter taste topped my list. IPAs are my current passion and I haven’t found one (locally) that beats Portsmouth, New Hampshire’s Smuttynose Finestkind IPA. It’s bright with delicious citrus notes, and a most pleasant bitter finish that lingers at the back of the throat and up into the sinuses. Exactly what I love! While I do like some of the double and triple IPAs that are out there, I find that they lose some of the ’bright’ character that I enjoy so much in this IPA.

gauchacho (1) - Berkeley, California, USA - APR 20, 2016 does not count
Aroma: Weedy; Malt: Cereal blend with toast tones ;Hops: grassy, herbal blends; yeast: barnyard, earthy; alcohol taste not a factor, and leaves smooth smokey blend on palate

drugsbunny (3) - USA - APR 5, 2005 does not count
This is an incredible beer, very balanced yet quite a stong hop flavor. Not overly pine tasting, nor overly cirtus. Great color and fantastic smell to this IPA. Smuttynose is one of the best breweries out there. You must try this.

AlexM84 (2) - - SEP 19, 2012 does not count
As a long standing IPA fan, this may be my new favorite. I got a hold of it at a beerfest at home in Cincinnati, OH and it changed my world. It not only has the classic IPA balance of spice, earth, and hops that an IPA drinker desires, but it may be the most perfectly balanced IPA I’ve had to date. We ordered it for the bar and it is a top seller... The only bad part is we run out before we’re done working... We have it mounted next to the Dogfish 60 Minute as competition (my previous favorite) and it’s outshining.

BOSSbrewer (2705) - Arkansas, USA - AUG 12, 2013
This ipa doesn't disappoint. Full bodies and great hop aroma. Grapefruit is up front and I like that a lot. Very nice.

ordybill (1758) - Douglasville, Georgia, USA - JUN 6, 2015
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Aroma- Hops, Malt & Citrus; need I say more Appearance- A very inviting clean gold color with a small white head Taste- Big citrus flavor well meshed with hops, excellent. Palate- A medium bodied beer with mild carbonation Overall- An outstanding IPA