overall
RATINGS: 1812   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 65 IBU’s, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way that’s not easy to find. We think they’ll be quite pleased.

bennygazooks (2) - Alabama, USA - JUN 23, 2004 does not count
Finally a world class IPA on the east coast. The NY Times was correct in naming this the best IPA in the world. It’s fairly new to the market so I would imagine a lot of folks have not tried it.

Big nose, lace like fine Irish linen, bursting with grapefruiy, citrus, hops, an explosion of flavor in the mouth. The finish? Long, subtle, dances on the tounge. I want more!! I want my Smuttynose!!!

ScottD71 (1) - Beverly, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 20, 2007 does not count
Absolutely one of the best IPA’s I’ve ever had. Great for all seasons. Cloudy dark gold color, armoa that pucnches you in the nose, and a bitter taste from start to finish.

MusicManBr (2) - São Paulo, BRAZIL - MAY 7, 2012 does not count
My favorite IPA. A lot of flavor with a lot of hop. A strong IPA for IPA lovers. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

trollcat (20) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - JAN 5, 2014
Apart from some high quality unique big bottled beers, smuttynose IPA can’t be beat. Magnificent IPA gifted by God with hoppy goodness and a crisp grapefruit aftertaste. Know smutty, know beer.

humanekt (9) - - MAR 16, 2014 does not count
I’m fairly new to beer and am really enjoying figuring out what I like. It didn’t take long to discover that a strong hoppy, bitter taste topped my list. IPAs are my current passion and I haven’t found one (locally) that beats Portsmouth, New Hampshire’s Smuttynose Finestkind IPA. It’s bright with delicious citrus notes, and a most pleasant bitter finish that lingers at the back of the throat and up into the sinuses. Exactly what I love! While I do like some of the double and triple IPAs that are out there, I find that they lose some of the ’bright’ character that I enjoy so much in this IPA.

gauchacho (1) - Berkeley, California, USA - APR 20, 2016 does not count
Aroma: Weedy; Malt: Cereal blend with toast tones ;Hops: grassy, herbal blends; yeast: barnyard, earthy; alcohol taste not a factor, and leaves smooth smokey blend on palate