Smuttynose Really Old Brown Dog Ale (2008 and earlier)

overall

RATINGS: 206   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
The Smuttynose Big BEER Series: big beers in big bottles, released seasonally in very limited quantities. Olive,iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label & has returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied "old ale" featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

Bill Becker (1915) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 26, 2017
From Jun 2007

his was aquired in a trade with jwc215...Thanks, Joe!

The beer pours aclear light brown-amber with a nice big head of foam that stays around forever as a solid 1 finger layer with lots of lacing.

The smell has some caramel malt, fruit, and some floral hop in the nose.

The taste is very complex and not what I expected. Lot's of caramel and dark fruit in equal quantities for me and it's very nice and very tasty. The dark fruits I notice are plum, raisin, and fig and hey, a touch of cherry is there as well. And boy, there's definitely some warming going on here but that's not interfering with the good flavours that are dancing on my palate. :^)

A few more sips in there's some vanilla and some floral hop bitter goodness that's most notable when I swish the brew in my mouth. It finishes bitter *and* slightly sweet and leaves a good long lasting aftertaste. Yummy. I like this a lot and I'm finding that it's very drinkable. Every time I take a sip and put my glass down, the flavours beckon me to take yet another sip and I obey their command!

Bottom line: I'm very impressed with this Old Ale offering from Smuttynose and can easily recommend it. See it? Buy it and sip on it. Thanks again Joe!!

dnstone (3592) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - SEP 24, 2016
Poured an amber-copper color with suds of head. Malty boozy aroma with notes of the age on this one. Rich malty flavor, approaching chocolate, and finishing with a slight booze note. Age has definitely affected this, but still has great flavor. Notes: '08 vintage on tap in '16 at Sehkraft ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

solidfunk (9444) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - NOV 13, 2015
Some caramel and musk. A little roast. Pours cloudy maroon with OK head. Light sweet finish. Thick consistency. A little more even than the 2012 version I just had. Tap at Churchkey.

GenDV138 (7764) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - NOV 12, 2015
4 oz pour on draft at ChurchKey. Dark brownish with beige head. Aromas of dark fruit, malt, caramel. Tastes of dark fruit, toffee, light caramel. Medium body with a dry finish.

Travlr (26268) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2015
Draft at Churchkey. Really brown color, tan edge head. Aroma of boozy butterscotch, vanilla, toast, lightly metallic. Taste is rich burnt tiast, burnt briwnies, toasted caramel, booze, candied fruit. Very nice seven year old.

Mikeyaponte (76) - Chicopee, Massachusetts, USA - APR 26, 2015
In draft at Smiths, Springfield Mass. Delicious. Won't disappoint. 75 fucking characters my ass. ...................:::;@$$((?) - via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Bengibbs6 (65) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 20, 2013
Baby bourbon! Ruby copper in color and a nice heady aroma. Sweet vanilla up front with a boozy backside. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Butters (4176) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 24, 2013
Sampled at Raleigh Rare and Vintage 2013. Vintage 2007. Hazy amber pour with ring of offwhite head. Sweet, but lightly hoppy nose. Almost syrupy on the flavor. A little boozy. Citrusy and a bit oxidized. caramel. alright, but overall, kinda meh.

TURDFERGUSON (4068) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 30, 2013
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2013 2007 bottle at rrbf. Pours a slightly murky mahogany with low to medium carbonation, thin off white cream colored head. Nose is dark fruits, raisins, light oxidation, brown sugar, light vanilla.

Rrauth (1196) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 26, 2013
2007 at raleigh rare beer fest. Nice full bodied beer that has enough rich taste to overcome a tired palate. Would like to have tried this side by side with a newer one to see how it held up but alas i couldnt. Glad to try it though.