overall
RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.38/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 147   ABV: 4.9%
Take a break from the Sturm und Drang of modern life, with this elegant, refreshing pilsner. Our brewers created Vunderbar! with both feet grounded in tradition, focusing on authentic German pilsner malt and spicy Czech Saaz hops. The result just might get you to shimmy into your favorite lederhosen, bust into a quick schuhplattler and loudly proclaim, “Das ist Vunderbar!” Formerly known as Shortbatch #11

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - DEC 27, 2010
I am reviewing this with notes, and yes I had it from a bottle in October. I was fooling around with the smutty brewers saying they were trying to one up Tod Mott on this one, after the great Pills Tod brewed. So they slipped me a bottle to try. I poured this into a Pills glass and I was greeted with a two finger head on top of a clear golden yellow brew. The bready aromas of yeast starts this one off followed with some nice lemon citrus hops. I did get a slight, I mean slight toast or roast in the nose as well. I love lagers I wish my local breweries’ did more. The subtle sweet bready malts along with the delicate grassy hops are delightful. I think the clean and crisp aspect of the brew make this an awesome drinking brew. The slightly drying hop finish completes it. This brew would be way to easy to drink mass quantities of. I hope to see more of this next year. Serving type: bottle

bob_w (378) - new york, New York, USA - JUL 4, 2013
one of the finest american versions of a german pilsner. crystal clear, super pale straw yellow color, reasonable head, though head fades quickly. nice malty, grainy, slightly bread-like aroma. clean malty flavor, with just enough saaz to balance out the flavor and give a little bitter kick. wonderful beer!

Glouglouburp (6103) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - DEC 18, 2012
Note: This rating is for the first batch when it was called “Shortbatch #11”. Not sure if the if the mass-produced Vunderbar measures up to this small experimental first batch, I sure hope so because this was kick-ass.
In short: An exemplary refreshing uber-clean pilsner that doesn’t feel too ‘Americanized’. Excellent.
How: Many bottles 12oz (first batch called “Shortbatch #11) consumed fresh the day after purchase from a NH store not far from Smuttynose.
The look: Cloudy yellow-blond body topped by a medium white head with medium retention.
In long: Nose is bursting with freshness, fresh hay and cereals, pineapples and lemons fruitiness, noble dry grassy hops. Nothing intense here but this soft aroma is irresistible. Taste is exemplary refreshing, an unsweetened pineapple upside down cake, low sweetness crisp biscuist, hay, just the right amount of lemony tartness, fresh pineapples and other tropical fruits, just enough grassy noble hops to dry out the finish without impairing too much bitterness. Mouthfeel is spot-on with a velvety slender body with many soft bubbles. To compare it to a well known example of the style I’d say it is similar to Bitburger, and it was better than the most freshest Bitbuger I’ve had in Europe, and I’ve had a few excellent fresh Bitburgers. A surprising effort from Smuttynose, or from any American brewery for that matter. Truly excellent simple summer thirst quencher. This clean pilsner will probably not get much love on ratebeer, but that’s the cool thing about the internet, people are free to express any opinion they want, yet it amazes me how many chose to come to ratebeer to express the opinion of people with bad taste in beer.

nealblind (2019) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - JAN 11, 2015
Slight cloudy gold. Dense creamy head. Aroma barley, honey, mint, wintergreen. Tastes honey, barley, a little spicy. light palate slight grain spice.

PilsnerPeter (3049) - Flushing, New York, USA - SEP 25, 2010
Tap Mission Dolores: Hazy golden. Dry bready aroma. Clean and creamy body. Dry crackery and zesty. Wow I can drink this all day!