overall
RATINGS: 141   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.89/5   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
Nelson and Citra hopped IPA

IPagan5 (106) - San Marcos, California, USA - MAR 21, 2015
Perfect balance of the hop usage, simco and nelson seem to be a great air. Smooth caramel malt backbone to round this guy out. Super nice crips bitterness. Taste and finish of pine. One of best in SD.

Alemaker77 (5) - California, USA - MAR 23, 2016 does not count
This is a perfect beer. My only issue is that Societe doesn’t bottle or can it.

MetalNHopHead (2068) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - DEC 17, 2016
Oh, SD. Is there any limit to your tasty IPA’s? Evidently not. The Pupil’s hoppy gifts are complex and endlessly juicy. Gold color. Vibrant, fruity aromatics. Leafy, grassy, floral, and fruity. Bubblegum, apricot, peach, mango, lavender, and vinous grape hop qualities. Refreshing mineral finish and a lingering bitterness.

Schmaltzy (13) - Indiana, USA - JUL 20, 2012
Honestly this is my new favorite IPA. I have filled my growler at least 7 times with this beer, awesome. Basically just take alpine nelson and lose the rye and blend it with some zombie dust and you are tasting The Pupil. West coast IPA using my two favorite hops, just great.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - DEC 29, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2013 On tap at Churchhills Pub in San Marcos; big nose of citrus pungent hops, dark yellow; huge taste that is very clean and refreshingly bitter, grapefruit and kiwi flavors. Great crisp finish, totally delicious beer from this new brewery. I had this at a 4.2, todays tasting is higher. One of the best West Coast IPA I’ve ever had. There with Elder and Nelson and a few others. I think its a 4.6 or better now

TheHOFF43 (2052) - Robbinsdale, Minnesota, USA - FEB 24, 2014
Tap at Societe. Pours a hazy golden with white head. Aroma is diesel onion, awesome. Pine, some orange citrus and resiny hops on the tongue. Great beer. This is the type of IPA I enjoy most, had multiple pints during my time in San Diego. The citra hops are crucial for this and just fabulous.

Ibrew2or3 (8748) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 2, 2012
Poured up on tap at GABF 2012 with a pure gold slightly opaque body (can you say, “drool inducing hop haze my friend?”) supporting a near white head, a dirty white head let’s say. The aroma is big and citrusy and tropical . . . yummy! Around the edges of those terrific fruity notes I get a bit of floral hops and just a touch of sweet maltiness. Man, the taste is rich and delicious with citrus like hops consisting of a little bit of grapefruit and tangelo mixing with a mango tropical note. Like in the nose around those rich fruity notes I get a thin ring of floral hops being supported up by a wafer thin yet firm sweet malty body. Just a terrific IPA as it is rich and bold yet smooth enough to be dangerously sessionable. Wow!

dsnow23 (11) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 28, 2013
Most recently at Toronado SD. I love it. It’s got a big citrus hop nose. Big citrus and spice flavor with a nice hop bite. Doesn’t taste like it is a high alcohol IPA. Not too malty, but enough malt that it doesn’t taste watered down. It doesn’t get much better than this.

50belair (3670) - Florida, USA - APR 2, 2013
Growler thanks to Hopscotch. Clear yellow pour with a white head. Florally hop aromas. Fantastic florally hop notes with just enough of a malt backbone to maintain the balance. Wow, really impressive. Good body, mouthfeel, and carbonation. I could drink this all day long....

LtDan (1806) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - JUL 7, 2013
Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow gold with visible rising carbonation. Not much head even during the pour, but a dense white cap remains throughout the session.

Aroma: Super dank sativa, slight fruit punch, tangerine.

Taste: Bitter citrusy hops, tropical fruit, fairly dry malt presence with subtle sweetness. Finishes with lingering earthy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Rough, medium bodied. A touch astringent.

Overall: My first Societe beer, and was very impressed. I am a sucker for New Zealand hops, and this was no exception.