overall
RATINGS: 86   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.51/5   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%

beerbaaron (1998) - Arizona, USA - DEC 21, 2013
Aged about a year. Pours dark brown to black. Small brown head that dissipates to a fair soapy lasting beige topping. Interesting and unique aroma. Someone said mint chocolate ice cream and that’s right there. Theres some smooth bourbon there as well. I think the age has helped take some edge off. Flavor is much the same but much less substantial. Body is a bit light, thin. Finish is sorta tangy, light roasty with some mint. A good beer but does not compare to the big boys.

andyhwcinc (1884) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 11, 2011
Purchased at Discount Liquors in Milwaukee, WI; enjoyed on my 30th birthday with a good friend before watching the Home Run Derby. Appearance pitch black, like black coffee, with thin tan/cream head that rims around the glass. Aroma like a hodge podge of coffee, bourbon, peppermint, chocolate, and lactose...except that I can’t identify each ingredient separately, just smells like all those ingredients thrown into something. Taste is pretty good, its slightly smooth, very strong. The bourbon really comes through, each sip is somewhat shot-like. Seems like the peppermint provides a slight bite, coffee notes also apparent in the finish, leaves a slightly sour feeling. Also, the lactose/milkyness of this fades in the flavor, doesn’t taste very thick to me. Its pretty good stuff, happy to have given it a shot.

tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - OCT 1, 2007
Draft at ABR. Roasted malt and mint dominate the aroma. I picked up a bit of bourbon, but I didn’t think that it was overpowering. Creamy malt, cocoa, wood and mint on the palate. Fairly rich and creamy. I like it!

tennisjoel (1459) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - OCT 11, 2007
Autumn Brew Review ’07
Very interesting idea here. I’ve never had mint as a flavor in the brew, but the concept seems to work. It’s like they dropped an altoids into the beer. I can see how some may consider this a love it or hate it type of beer. Refreshing to say the least, and one I’d drink again.

pete4999 (1445) - Buffalo, New York, USA - AUG 15, 2011
Had some big pours from this out of the bottle recently. Not sure how old it was. I was extremely impressed with this. Strong mint scent that fades into vanilla and chocolate sweetness as it warms. Really enjoyed this.

kbutler1 (1381) - North Carolina, USA - AUG 26, 2011
Bottle. Been sitting on this one for a while and finally cracked. Pours a dark brown color with a light tan head. The mint is very noticeable as soon as I poured the beer. Dark roast, chocolate, and mint all in the nose. Slight minty start that stays the whole time. Light chocolate and roast notes. Easy drinking and somewhat refreshing. The only let down is that the bourbon notes are pretty minimal. Medium bodied. Ever so slight lace. Overall, decent.

Steasy66 (1155) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 19, 2012
Bomber into snifter. Black with medium tan head. Aroma is crazy, like mint chocolate chip ice cream. I really don’t know what to say about the taste. The mint and coffee are strong. The beer is really sweet, but its a sugary sweetness, not a malty one. I don’t get the bourbon barrel at all. Not sure what to say, interesting beer, but not up my alley.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 10, 2011
Pours a deep dark brown with frothy, creamy- tannish head. Aroma of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, and light candied peppermint. Taste is much the same. Peppermint is well hidden and not as explosive as I was expecting. Very tasting offering from South Shore.

DasBierChef (1083) - Hudson, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 20, 2011
A very nice stout. The mint is subtle and compliments the chocolate nicely.

Lemke10 (981) - Waukesha, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 24, 2013
Pours a smooth dark brown color with a slight bit of carbonation. Proclaims on it’s bottle to be a "Bourbon Barrel Coffee Mint Stout." From the scent I can definitely pick out the peppermint and coffee along with some robust malts. There is an explosion of flavors in it’s taste. Mainly sweet caramel malts stand out with the taste of coffee and a dash of sweet peppermint. Perhaps what makes this beer the best is it’s bourbon barrel process in combination with the ingredients used. Fairly robust and delicious. Granted I’m drinking this in the summer but this would make a great Christmas present as a stocking stuffer.