overall
RATINGS: 591   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 153   ABV: 5.1%
Most folks from the Northeast go to Florida when November arrives. But not the Southampton brewmaster, Phil Markowski. Back in 1995, Phil headed to Düsseldorf, Germany to taste the famous altbiers of the region. "Alts" are unique: less fruity than most ales but with a crisp drinkability of a lager. So what did Phil bring back from his trip? Authentic German ingredients and a recipe for an altbier that will surprise your senses. One taste and you’ll be happy that Phil decided not to go to Florida, too.

Bill Becker (2055) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 24, 2017
From Mar 2006 Poured from 12 oz.bottle(room temp) a nice deep gold with a fairly large head of foam that dissipated slowly leaving about a 1/8" layer in my brand new Secret Ale glass. ;^) The smell is sweet to my nose telling me there's some malt character there. The taste is definitely malty up front but it's not at all sugary sweet and then..there's the hop character moving in with the offsetting bitterness(I sense some lemon notes) creating a nicely balanced and very drinkeable Alt beer of which, I must admit, I've had very limited exposure to.(Alaskan Amber and a German brew whose name escapes me) Bottom line: This is a very smooth yet tasty brew that would be on my regular rotation if it were available to me locally. My thanks to Nutbrown for including this in our trade!

hopdog (13315) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 13, 2016
12oz bottle. Poured an amber color with an averaged sized head. Caramel, some earthiness, bread and some nuttiness.

micronaut129 (241) - chalfontborotowntonbergville, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2014
Pours with a amber brownish color and a good foam head on a vigorous pour that fades fast. Average carbonation. Smells of sweet malt slightly roasted. No hop notes are present that I can detect aroma wise. Drinks well, roasted malt is present. Nutty with some bready notes that can be picked up, maybe a slight hint of toffee, too. Hop presence is low in taste, just there for bittering aspect. Crisp and dry on finish refreshing. A bit watery in the mouth. Drink well my friends.

Tonkun (1306) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 25, 2014
Tap. Amber pour. Toffee, caramel. Sweet herb. Lighte to medium body. Easy to drink but a bit sweet for me

merc7186 (3160) - North Tonawanda, New York, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Aroma: Caramel, Toffee, Bready Appearance: Amber/Brownish Hue, Passes Some Light, Thin White Head Ring, Some Lacing Taste: Sweet Bread, Caramel, Mildly Smokey, Mild Pilsner Yeast Mouthfeel: Average Carbonation, Medium Bodied, Mildly Sweet, Mildly Smokey

Itzjerm (3239) - Taft, Tennessee, USA - NOV 3, 2013
Nice licorice flavor and aroma. Very thin head. Watery maltiness. Thick to watery mouthfeel. Sorghum flavors. Light sweet enjoyable.

puboflyons (3563) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 24, 2013
From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. It is an attractive looking beer with a dark amber pour and a modest off-white head. The aroma is full of sweet malts and a little smoke. The hops are crisp, clean, and laid back. The body is medium and smooth. The taste is nice and sweet with a low bitterness that does not linger terribly long. It is an enjoyable beer.

Nickls (2642) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - NOV 8, 2012
Bottle. Mostly clear darker orange with a thin mostly white head. Some toffee, light malt sweetness and leafy hop notes. Flavor is a bit lackluster, with more malty sweetness coming in and missing any interesting leafy or minty hops that I like in the style. Lighter flat body.

DrSilverworm (10000) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - SEP 7, 2012
12oz bottle. Date on the bottle is 6/01/09. Thin khaki head, with bubbles on the side of the glass. Murky brown color. Smooth lightly smokey flavor. Not as bad as expected, for a 3 yr old bottle. Light carbonation, dry finish, with kind of a strange chalky creaminess, though. Aroma is vey toasty, lightly metallic. Not great, but at least there’s flavor there, and it’s not entirely awful. Some dark fruit, bitter taste, and some funky sweetness. Interesting enough to be tolerable. Some malty / hoppy fermenty fruitiness, here. Not bad despite the age, I’d really like to try this fresh if I can find a bottle. I guess I just have to visit the brewpub some day.

kryon (4019) - Hässelby, SWEDEN - MAY 20, 2012
On sample at southampton publick house. Im not an altbier fan and this doesnt make me change my mind. Ok maltyness but nothing out of the ordinary