overall
RATINGS: 440   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 248   ABV: 8.25%
You hold in your hand a stout for stout lovers. Buried Hatchet is brewed with a large quantity of brown malt reminiscent of a traditional pre-Industrial Revolution malt profile. This stout is full of robust, roasted flavors which intermingle with a bittersweet creaminess that concludes to a perfect, warming finish.

beerbill (3618) - Laurel, New York, USA - APR 13, 2010
12 oz. can courtesy of a trade with BMan1113VR. Pours black and allows no light to pass with a moderate tan head that fades to a film within the first two sips and leaves light lace. Pleasant aroma of roasted malt along with a few notes of chocolate. The flavor is roasted malt along with ample milk chocolate and a touch of tobacco. Fairly creamy mouthfeel. Not as full-bodied as I might expect in an imperial stout, but that would be my only issue, and it is a minor one. Overall, a very solid beer.

AndyReynolds (1085) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 9, 2010
Aroma roasted malts, dark chocolate, caramel, and burnt malts, also notes of vanilla and coffee. Mouth feel is creamy. Taste really brings out the coffee and it finishes nice and dry. Pretty damn good.

AmEricanbrew (7065) - Same Trailer, Different Park, Louisiana, USA - APR 8, 2010
Dark brown color/ lasting tan head. Nice deep roasted malt, coffee chocolate aromas. Rich creamy mouthfeel. Semi sweet chocolate, dusty deep roasted malt, vanilla, mocha flavors. all around great stout.

drowland (9164) - Georgia, USA - APR 7, 2010
Sampled at RBWG 2010. The aroma is all mild dark chocolate with layers of coffee, cream, and more. The flavor is amazing coffee and chocolate all the way. I really like this stuff.

IrishBoy (4238) - Bakersfield, California, USA - APR 7, 2010
12 oz can from a trade; can’t remember who sent it. Maybe Kaggie? Nose isroasty coffee, light chocolate, and yeast. Clear dark brown with a big tan head. Flavor favors coffee, roastiness, wheat toast, and hints of chocolate but no bitterness. Wish I could get this here in the cans for a goto stout; not as good as my favorite Kern River Class V, but excellent for being in cans. Great stuff!

GAManiac (1946) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - APR 5, 2010
12oz can.

Pours a deep chestnut brown out of the can and sits almost black in the glass underneath a really frothy beige head. It’s a little light for a stout and shows through as a deep copper in light.

The aroma is heavily roasted black malts with burnt espresso and a shot of sweet cream.

The taste is excellent for a sweet or export stout. It’s got a perfect balance of roasted malts, dark chocolate and coffee. There is a creamy sweetness that balances all the roasty character out in the taste.

The mouthfeel is seriously creamy and velvety smooth going down with lots of tiny bubbles and a super roasty finish.

This is an excellent stout. Admittedly, it’s not exactly big enough to be considered an inpy stout but it’s much more robust than most sweet stouts or export stouts. Not really concerned about the category though as it’s really good either way.

Ughsmash (7510) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 5, 2010
Canned. Poured medium, ruby-tinted brown with a towering cap of beige head. The aroma picked up toast and chocolatey malts with a bit of a buttery impression and some coffee accents around.. sweet and a little airy, with little semblance of "imperial" in there. The flavor found toast, semi-sweet chocolate, and a touch of tobacco with sweet vanilla and overripe coffee beans extending outward.. bitter and unnecessarily sharp on the finish. Medium-bodied with a scratchy and abrasive feel on the palate (there was smoothness beneath, but the other stuff took over).. just OK, and not so big.

zathrus13 (1776) - Mount Laurel, New Jersey, USA - APR 2, 2010
Can. Pours dark brown, with a light brown head. Aroma is roasted malt, hops, and chocolate. Flavor is chocolate, roasted malt, hops, na d alittle coffee. Nice, creamy body.

NachlamSie (3582) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 1, 2010
can from Binny’s. I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but here is a classic example of imperial stouts being overrated. Let me make clear that I love the style and most of my favorite all time beers are imperial stouts. But here are my thoughts on this particular beer. I cracked open a can and poured it into a glass on this fairly warm spring day. I wasn’t really in the mood for a stout, but I need to clear out the more winter-type beers before they get too old and I want to clear the way for more pale ales and hefes and the like. With this attitude, I was relieved that a more brown and lighter bodied liquid filled my glass. The aroma is mild, nutty, and milky with minimal roast. Pretty light palate on this one too. It’s almost, just almost refreshing in the heat. So my first thought is, "hey, I like this beer alright. It’s a nice lighter bodied,more sessionable stout. But I bet the ratebeer community is gonna score it kind of low because it’s not a roastier, heartier ale." That’s fine, people on the site like bigger beers, I’m not entirely exempt from that. So I log on to post my thoughts and I discover it’s rated a 96!! Now, I like the beer pretty well, but I thought 96 was kind of generous. Then I see it’s listed as an imperial stout. wtf. There is no way this is an imperial stout. This beer is simply too light to really be an imperial stout even if the alcohol is by some fluke actually that high. I can only assume that it’s rated so high because it’s labeled as being an imperial stout on the site. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t know. Anyway, this is an average, sweeter stout. I ponder if lactose is used in this because it certainly has a milky quality along with the malty, chocolatey flavors. The palate is creamy. Finish is quick with hints at hazelnut, milk, and chocolate. Decent lighter bodied stout.

Okay, okay. After I posted my rant/rating I read the other reviews. Many people made positive comments about it being a stout/brown ale hybrid, or being a sweeter stout masking the alcohol. Fine, that’s fair. I stand corrected.

ketchepillar (1199) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 31, 2010
Can. Lots of roasted barley and higher end crystals. Kinda harsh, particularly in the finish. It’s an odd malt harshness that isn’t quite astringent. Noticeably melanoidiny. Similar to my own RB stout