overall
RATINGS: 457   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.98/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Pour 422 Pale Wheat Ale into a pint glass, give it a long whiff and you’ll realize that this isn’t your average pale golden wheat. Preserved in its unfiltered state, 422 is a fantastic session ale in which flavors of wheat, barley and hops commingle to a refreshing and zesty conclusion. Hints of orange and sweet malts waft to the fore as a touch of bitterness contributes to a smooth finish. 422 is brewed as a tribute to preserving our precious planet and it’s environment. It is responsibly packaged with over 80% recycled consumer products and is completely recyclable. Enjoy 422 all year as to take one stride closer to a eco-friendly life.

Voodoo (696) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2013
Pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head. Aroma of sweet corn. Taste is slight graininess, lemon and very crisp.....finishing with slightly bitter aftertaste.

raradel (343) - Atlanti Beach, Florida, USA - APR 21, 2013
For the style it’s not bad. A little thin but very clean. Good to drink when it’s hot out but other than that, average.

justabeergeek (225) - Albany, New York, USA - APR 14, 2013
Appearance: It’s a slightly hazy orange color with about a finger of soapy white head.

Aroma: There’s a little bit of a wheaty earthiness to it, but it isn’t a smell that knocks me back. Some hops, but not much.

Taste: The flavor falls into a grey for me because of the fact that Southern Tier is billing it as a “pale wheat ale.” Unfortunately, I don’t get much of the American wheat beer style beyond a touch of a spiciness mixed with some fresh cut grass. I also don’t get too much hops in the palate, either.

Overall: My problem with this beer is that there isn’t really anything about it that makes me crave it at all. It is between two styles, and I’m not sure that it is adequately capturing either of the parts of each that I enjoy. By no means is this a bad beer, but I guess it’s a hybrid that doesn’t quite bring anything beyond the sum of its parts.

Score: 6/10

craig220 (313) - Crofton, Maryland, USA - APR 13, 2013
Poured a clear golden color with a thick and frothy white head. Aroma is pretty faint but I caught lemon, grass, caramel, and not much else. Taste is lemon, grass, honey, orange, and a sweet/sour finish.

DialSquare (5123) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2013
12oz bottle from ABC from Betton. Light yellow pour with a thin white head. Aroma is grainy malt and caramel. Tastes are bread, honey, wheat, yeasty. Ok.

ellolovey (483) - Georgia, USA - MAR 20, 2013
12 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden straw color with a thin white head. Aroma of burnt grains, sweet malts, and hints of citrus. Taste very light and refreshing. Earthy, dirt, leaves, caramel, roasted malts and barley. A nice balance between malts and the subtle hoppiness on the back bone. Very enjoyable. One of the only Pale Ale’s I have liked.

jzzbassman (1638) - Arlington, Texas, USA - MAR 18, 2013
Many of the low ABV ST beers have hit my market, and this was the more disappointing of the ones I’ve had. The aroma is grassy and sweet orange, starts off promising but has a flavor that is like a wrongly soured banana that is hard for me to get past. The crisp hoppy finish is a nice redeeming note that saves it from being a total miss for me. Take this with a grain of salt as I’ve had few in this style I really like.

olio (10470) - Tampere, FINLAND - MAR 4, 2013
355 ml bottle.
Originally rated on 20090808.
Pours hazy golden color with a large head. Aroma of hops, wheat, grass and yeast. Flavor of citrus fruits, yeast, hops and mild toffee notes. Pleasant.

charule (2286) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 3, 2013
Bottle. Poured golden yellow. Light head. Smooth wheat beer. Quite pleasant easy drinking.

SlackerMads (3478) - DENMARK - MAR 3, 2013
Bottle. Clear yellow with a medium sized bubbly white head. Aroma is earthy, metallic, light grain, hay, light citrus light strawberry and raspberry. Taste is light+ sweet and light+ bitter. Light/medium body, oily/watery texture, medium carbonation. Light bitter finish with pale malt and light citrus.