overall
RATINGS: 1622   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

TheRoot (38) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - APR 21, 2008
Courtesy of DuctTape,
It was a bottle shared 4 ways and I had to drive home at the end of the night so I didn’t have as much as I would have liked but it poured a nice toasty black/brown with an unmistakable tootsie roll nose. It was truly a thing of beauty.. There was a thin head which was a tad disappointing but I was also having a small sample in a small glass so it was not optimal pouring conditions. I will definitely be seeking this out next time I am State side!

DuctTape (15) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - APR 21, 2008
When i first tasted it on draft, my initial reaction was that it smelled and tasted like a tootsie roll candy. When i have had bottles the Tootsie Roll aroma is still present, but the taste is more complex with more roast than the chocolate that i tasted in the draft version. Pours dark brown to black with a thin head.

BOLTZ7555 (3027) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 17, 2008
Rating #200!!! Southern Tier isn’t subtle in their liquid homage to Godiva!!! Deep rich mahogany body with a small whipped latte head. Flavor is undeniable, unmistakeable, and uninhibited CHOCOLATE. This one isn’t extremely complex but done with such conviction that it must be applauded. A dash of vanilla, a pinch of brown sugar, and a pound of cocoa powder. Palate was thinner that Oat (but so is every other beer in the world). Loved it!!!

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 16, 2008
22oz bottle. Dark brown-black with a small light brown head. Rich, chocolate malt aroma, some alcohol. Chocolate, vanilla, toasty malt flavors. Roast malt astringency, some coffee bean character. Residual chocolate sweetness and roasty bitterness in the finish, with some alcohol heat. Mouthfeel is heavy, unctuous, slightly hot.

AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - APR 15, 2008
Bottle courtesy of adrian910ss. Pours deep brown with a thin, tan colored head. Not as viscous as expected. Nose is like a Whopper, not from BK, but the malt ball version! Flavor is similarly sweet, but not over the top. This one could be trouble! It’s incredibly creamy on the palate, with just the slightest alcohol burn that diminishes to a sweet and smooth finish. Somewhat one dimensional, but oh, do I loves me some chocolate!

hellbilly (3306) - scottsdale über alles, Arizona, USA - APR 14, 2008
gracias to the guys at the BA tasting for letting me in on this one... let me start by stating that i don’t go for gimmicky flavored brews... this pours nearly black but still brown at the edges with a frothy brown head which leaves some spotty lacing. huge aroma of dark chocolate, dark grain, woody/ grassy hoppiness and a touch of cream. it reminds me of hershey,pa. the palate is sweet. but for me, in this case, worth it... dark and milk chocolates, malt, vanilla and a coffee like edge that draws the sweetness away. it finishes with bitterness to keep everything in check. creamy carbonation gives this a soft texture and almost airy mouth feel. this is bitchin’ poured over some vanilla ice cream...

somehow there is a bottle of this in my fridge after the phx gathering??... lucky me!

sirpsycho (396) - Murrysville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 12, 2008
Bottle via trade with lukin013. Pours a very dark brown, almost black with a small, thin tan head. Aroma is a bittersweet chocolate, maybe some vanilla in the background, smells great !!! Flavor is more of the same, but doesn’t quite live up to the aroma, bittersweet chocolate, vanilla and also a touch of roasted coffee (could be the bittersweet chocolate). The finish is chocolate and roasted coffee, a touch of alcohol.

msante79 (2244) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - APR 11, 2008
Bomber. Pours black with little tan head that disapears except around edges. Aroma is of corse chocolate and malt. Flavor is sweet malt, chocolate, and vanilla. Mouthfel is smooth and creamy. Liked the Oatmeal IS better. Little disapointing as I liked everything I had from Southern Tier.

EricE (1372) - Seattle, Washington, USA - APR 11, 2008
Black pour with a white head. Smells like a tootsie roll and bittersweet cocoa. Very creamy and chocolate taste. Slightly sweet at first, but a bitter malt taste takes over with some hops on the finish. Very good.

emacgee (4708) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - APR 8, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2009 Thanks swoopjones. Pours a dark black that allows some light through. Nice and viscous. Not as dark and thick as I expected. Nice one finger creamy tan head. The nose is definite chocolate, sweet chocolate, not as cloying as I expected, roasty, molasses. The flavor is chocolatey, roasty, waxy bitter chocolate, light alcohol. Thick waxy mouthfeel.