overall
RATINGS: 1623   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

tsullivan04 (2) - - DEC 27, 2017 does not count
I thoroughly enjoyed this Blackwater Series Choklat Imperial Stout. The taste and chocolate flavor was exactly what I was looking for. So many try but this delivered deliciousness. :-) ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

2OLD4BS (22) - west windsor, New Jersey, USA - DEC 18, 2017
It is a very nice smooth beer. It is very good! Rate beer has it at 100! Well I do not think it is that good. But still a very nice well put together beer. The flavors and the whole package. It is very good! Sorry not a 100 in my book.

GregMooreNH (267) - Bedford, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 13, 2017
Pour thick black with medium, dense head. Aroma is dark chocolate and a hint of vanilla. Taste is rich, sweet chocolate, warming to a bitter, dark chocolate. A smooth, even finish. A great desert beer.

jmjordan (5) - - NOV 11, 2017 does not count
It is apparent why this is described as a dessert beer. Though it is sweet and rich, I would not preclude it from other occasions. Holiday celebrations come to mind. During the high heat of summer, this could also be refreshing. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Bill Becker (2010) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 3, 2017
From Feb 2008 I got bottles from both nutbrown and orbitalrOx. Thanks Alan & Don!! It pours a very dark brown with reddish hues and a 2 finger head of tannish foam. The smell has great notes of milk chocolate, toffee, and a touch of coffee. The chocolate is ruling it here. The taste is...so damn tasty! First and foremost, it's the chocolate. I'm tasting both sweet, which has the bigger role, and dark chocolate which, along with a small amount of coffee, give me some bitterness that helps prevent the over all flavour from becoming *too* sweet but hell, sweet is surely is and I'm loving it. There's plenty of toffee flavour here as well. Wow. I know that 1 bottle at a sitting will do it for me but the 22 ounces in that bottle are disappearing at an alarming rate. ;^) The full mouthfeel and lowish carbonation is working its magic while the abv just gives me a little warming after the swallow. Great job in hiding the 11%, for sure. Btw, the head retention is better than average and there's plenty of lacing hugging my glass. Bottom line: This is, by far, the most chocolate-y brew I've ever tasted and is a real treat. If you have a chance to try some, do so!!

hitemwitthehein (45) - - OCT 29, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 8, 2017 ABV - 10.0 IBU - 65 .Appearance: Black, lingering one finger brown head. .Aroma: Roasted dark chocolate, coffee notes, malt. .Taste: Rich dark chocolate combined with sweet milk chocolate, roasted coffee, cocoa, slight bitterness especially on the finish. .Mouthfeel: Creamy, Rich, full bodied. minimal carbonation. .Overall: A. .This is a well crafted stout. Enjoyable throughout. As soon as it's poured you can smell the chocolate sweetness. Perfectly sweet, with a slight bitter aftertaste. Taste lingers. Alcohol is slightly noticeable, but in a very enhancing way. Very creamy, velvety texture. Full body. Awesome choice for after dinner. Solid A.

Happy1 (1) - LANCASTER, Alabama, USA - OCT 17, 2017 does not count
Nice beer, leans towards a hoppy stout. The "Chocolate citrus flavor" is Definitely a very LIGHT 'hint' as advertised. If you're an IPA or Belgian fan, this is a great fall beer for you! If you're like me & you like to actually taste the flavors advertised on the label- please don't waste your time!nuts, roasty, roasty,