Southern Tier Blackwater Series: Creme Brulee Stout

overall
RATINGS: 1586   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

Dacrza (1086) - Great Meadows, New Jersey, USA - FEB 18, 2018
DATE: February 17, 2018... OCCASION: a long, strange, happy day that began with the end of Will's eleventh birthday sleepover, an intense snow storm, and a nice dinner with friends for a good cause... GLASSWARE: Duvel tulip... alright, another Blackwater offering! pours its ominous pitch-black body and a resilient, thick, off-white three-fingered head that laces with a ring of clustered bubbles... first whiff evokes eggnog, shortbread cookie, vanilla bean, lactic aromas, and the suggestion of light coffee bean... sips at a medium-bodied mouthfeel, textured and slightly warming... a long, lingering finish tells its 10% ABV--though flat at the middle--and bolstering in its presence... big vanilla and smooth milk make this an eggnog kind of dessertif, worthy of small, chewed sips... the malts are toasted enough to suggest the flame that accompanies the creme brulee itself, while supplying a thickening measure... sweet but not off-putting, tempered in its approach, with its late life suggesting cinnamon and cardamon... the coffee liquor reminds me of the coffee brandy I tried to impress my college roommates by drinking... butterscotch is the lingering memory--a smell that haunts my turning-twenty-one self to this day, but is welcome in the profile of this beer... this is probably my least favorite Blackwater offering--not a slam--as it weds flavors that I am not personally inclined to... still, quite a profile for an ABV this stiff, and fresh from the grunt... solid, not spectacular, but at nine and change for 32 oz., more than worth the money...

Bill Becker (2054) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 7, 2017
From Aug 2008 I got this bottle in a trade with zapata. Thanks Ben! It pours a really dark brown bordering on black. A 1" head of foam with some good lacing. The smell is wow. I've had a few vanilla brews before but this one takes the cake nose wise. I can't smell anything else. The taste has the big vanilla there but I also get some butterscotch, chocolate and cream. A dessert brew? You betchya! And as such, I won't be able to finish the bottle at one sitting. It has a thick syrupy mouthfeel and the carbonation is on the light side. It finishes supremely sweet and full of the vanilla. Great taste but like I said, I can only take it in relatively small portions and I don't really factor the abv much as it's pretty well hidden. It's more of the overall sweetness thing going on here. Bottom line: This is an extreme beer for sure and though I can't say its drinkability is up there with the best of them, it *is* a treat to drink. I can't do anything but place this one firmly in the highly recommended category.

ads135 (5235) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 9, 2017
Dark black, thick and uncannily similar to the flavor of creme brûlée. Quite nice as a dessert beer, but too sticky sweet for anything else.

rbrew85 (5) - - SEP 28, 2017 does not count
I really enjoyed this beer. The flavors were great and the drinking experience was smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BrewBroFla (34) - - JUL 30, 2017
I know I am drinking the big beer the wrong time of the year but couldn’t resist and can say I didn’t regret my decision. Creme Brulee Stout. Very creamy and delicious with the definite taste of a hard-coated custard just as advertised. Why order desert when you can have a Creme Brulee Stout,

Lager43 (54) - Watertown, Connecticut, USA - JUL 19, 2017
Great after dinner stout. Had at Eli Cannons. Beautiful, rich malt flavor. Chocolate stands out with a sweet dry finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

rkwhitehouse (11) - - JUN 22, 2017
Mcscrooges purchase. Drank June 22 2017. Don't remember the price. Recommended by Jason. Beer bought back in the fall. Sat on it awhile. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

DWestrick (864) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAY 15, 2017
Bottle. Super sweet imperial milk stout. Not my favorite but very unique and interesting. Definitely craft

Westy1130 (110) - New York, USA - APR 1, 2017
Incredibly sweet, with no detection of hops or bitter after bite (definitely not a beer you want to mix with something savory). Aroma/Taste: vanilla, burnt caramel and sour milk. A definite try for dessert beer lovers.

teamsale (317) - Washington, USA - MAR 7, 2017
Bomber pours a black coffee color with a one finger dark brown head and medium lacing. Aroma is sweet caramel medicine. Taste is not quite what I expected, very medicinal, some banana, light vanilla, very syrupy. Bitterness is a mild medium. The aftertaste is the best part of this one. Definitely tastes better as it sits and the temperature increases.