overall
RATINGS: 1585   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

Bill Becker (1908) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - DEC 7, 2017
From Aug 2008

I got this bottle in a trade with zapata. Thanks Ben!

It pours a really dark brown bordering on black. A 1" head of foam with some good lacing.

The smell is wow. I've had a few vanilla brews before but this one takes the cake nose wise. I can't smell anything else.

The taste has the big vanilla there but I also get some butterscotch, chocolate and cream. A dessert brew? You betchya! And as such, I won't be able to finish the bottle at one sitting.

It has a thick syrupy mouthfeel and the carbonation is on the light side. It finishes supremely sweet and full of the vanilla. Great taste but like I said, I can only take it in relatively small portions and I don't really factor the abv much as it's pretty well hidden. It's more of the overall sweetness thing going on here.

Bottom line: This is an extreme beer for sure and though I can't say its drinkability is up there with the best of them, it *is* a treat to drink. I can't do anything but place this one firmly in the highly recommended category.

ads135 (5053) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - OCT 9, 2017
Dark black, thick and uncannily similar to the flavor of creme brûlée. Quite nice as a dessert beer, but too sticky sweet for anything else.

rbrew85 (5) - - SEP 28, 2017 does not count
I really enjoyed this beer. The flavors were great and the drinking experience was smooth. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone