overall
RATINGS: 1666   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.06/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
the ancients called it food for the gods The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, were not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Pours to an extremely dark brown body with a thin rapidly dissipating tan head. The aroma is unmistakeably a milk chocolate caramel filled Hersheys Treasure. The flavor is more grainy barley under the chocolate base than I would have thought given the aroma. Liquid chocolate and barley brownies. Some sweet caramel. The palate has a lingering sweet mouthwatering medium body. Oily. Too much of everything. This isnt balanced well.

heemer77 (5351) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 23, 2008
Bomber. The body was black with a dark tan head. The aroma was obvious from the moment I opened the bottle. It is like a strongly made hot chocolate with lots of cocoa. There is also a light tobacco hint, but the chocolate is the star. The tast is like hot chocolate with some lightly roasted peanuts. Wow, I have had lots of chocolate beers and this one tastes more like chocolate that I would want to want to eat than any other. Amazing what they have done with this beer. As I drink, I tried to get more character, but it is as dominated by chocolate as anything I have tasted. Southern Tier has a unique winner in this brew. Absolutely intense and one of a kind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - JUN 21, 2008
bottle: pours a very dark chocolate brown colour with a good tan head. aroma is an amazing pure milk chocolate, almost hot chocolate like with touches of cocooa powder. awesome. flavour is absolutley great all milk chocolate upfront plus a littel bitter cocoa mouth feel is so smooth and creamy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
presario (4916) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 20, 2008
Big bottle. Thick light brown head on black. Huge intoxicating dry chocolate cake liquor aroma. Each sip is an expensive dry 75%-90% unsweetened chocolate piece. An amazing beer but not one that you would drink on a daily basis or even pint afte pint on one night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 17, 2008
The truth is that I really wanted to like this beer, but in the back of my mind I knew that I wouldnt. And... I didnt, really. I guess I kind of did. Nearly black pour and barely any carbonation to speak of. Nose of chocolate milk, malt (in the sense of Whoppers), cheap Easter candy, Hersheys chocolate syrup, and some decent fruit (cherries? orange Russell Stovers nougat?). Maybe a little nuttiness. More sweet fudginess on the tongue. Much more sweet to me than the other reviews indicate, perhaps because I had a very bitter De Dolle Export Stout beforehand. Nice aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden, but certainly felt. Overall, feels a bit one-note as the chocolate hits you over the head, but hey, I guess thats the point. Growing on me a little as I drink more, but thats probably just the buzz. Cant really imagine drinking this again, but if chocolate is your thing, this is your beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (12770) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 17, 2008
Sample at the Most Honorable SuperHappyFun Stout Tasting. This brew is a glossy black color with a thick and foamy tan head that dissipates slowly. Rings of lacing. The aroma is chocolatey with light roasted malt and vanilla in the background. Rich body with a nice dark choclate character, as well as some cocoa, malt and hops. Alcohol is well-masked throughout. The finish is chocolate and roasted nuts. Chocolate beers, like Fruit and Smoked beers, walk a fine line with me as far as going overboard. This beer is wonderfully balanced and enjoyable throughout.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - JUN 17, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2009 Wow, Ive tasted chocolate in my stouts before, Ive even tasted chocolate in belgian strong ales before, but this was the first beer Ive ever had that tasted entirely like a food and not that of a beer. It actually tastes like pure chocolate milk, in an absolutely ridiculously fashion. The 11% abv is totally absent, and I didnt really like that because the flavor in this beer is so overwhelmingly strong that I really needed a strong oomph to churn and burn the flavors in my mouth but the alcohol just isnt there to help thin out this super heavy beer. There were a number of things I didnt like about this beer, mostly how foody it is by the way it tastes exactly like chocolate syrup, but it still accomplishes what it aims for remarkably well so Ill give a nice rating. This beer is truly an experience.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Dorwart (2581) - Robbinsville, New Jersey, USA - JUN 12, 2008
Had to pour from about 10 inches to get any kind of a head on this brew. And then it was only about a quater of an inch. Brown in color and consists of small bubbles. WOW, distinct chocolate aroma. Maybe the most distinct that I have ever had before. Loads of milk chocolate, rich toffee and some roasted grains. Smells just like hershey syrup. Color is essentially black with some brown around the edges. Super smooth and creamy flavor. Loads of chocolate in there again. Not just a hint of chocolate but a whole friggin hershey bar! Vewy sweet and silky smooth. You have to really like chocolate to enjoy this brew. Fiishes sweet and syrupy. Really over the top chocolate stout. Hides its alcohol really well. I am sure this is going to f me up later!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
marchcow (664) - Coralville, Iowa, USA - JUN 11, 2008
Strong chocolate aromas and fudge. Deep dark black color. Strong chocolate flavors. Bitter acidic, middle with a light saltiness. Mild light palate with strong carbonation.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
dutch23mp (317) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - JUN 8, 2008
Wonderful stout, full of flavor and as it name satessouthern tier choklat a great blend aroma ispowerful and there is no doubt or. great job on this brew the high ABV is well hidden.