overall
RATINGS: 1638   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
a stout of great contention We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; its all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crme Brle, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv 25 plato 195 L 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

nerdrocker101 (102) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 17, 2009
Bottle. This is a very unique beer. Black pour with a tan, creamy head. Notes of vanilla, burnt sugar and chocolate malts. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Certainly full bodied. Take the time to enjoy this one, because there just arent a lot out there like this one.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
DukeBrewDevil (732) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - SEP 17, 2009
Bomber. Deep, thick black beer with a big sturdy brown head. Smells amazing. Lots of vanilla, some coffee, and hints of chocolate. For the first few sips, I enjoyed the flavors that consist of dark chocolate, coffee with a lot of cream, and vanilla. The more I drank, though, the more glad I was that Id split this bottle with 3 other people. The sweetness and vanilla completely dominate the palate, eventually wearing down my mouth. Its an interesting beer and I can see why some people would love it, but everyone who split it with me agreed it was too overpoweringly sweet to buy again.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
slimweebs (163) - Los Angeles, California, USA - SEP 16, 2009
This is an incredible beer. It really tastes like an alcoholic creme brulee. The vanilla bean aroma dominates the nose and it is very inviting. The alcohol is 10% but it is covered very well, mainly by the unfermented lactose sugar. This is a very heavy beer and difficult to finish a 22oz. bomber, but if you have a couple of hours to sip this all night it is well worth the purchase.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
nealblind (1770) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - SEP 15, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2013 Rating 4.7 date 8/31/2013: Dark brown smells like the dessert, milk caramel. Tastes like it too. Well balanced though with a slight dry and bitter coffee finish. CLASSIC Rating 4.5 date 9/15/2009: For me there is no such thing as too sweet. I eat marshmallows like other people eat potato chips. For me this is a tier one beer all the way. The only thing that could make it better would be a thicker mouthfeel and longer lasting head. The carmel milky flavor more than makes up for it and the bitter roasted finish encourages you to have another sip. I will have this again when I am trying to seduce someone.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boamr (310) - Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2009
Pours black with just a slight tan head to it. Has a sweet vanilla smell to it. Has a sweet, vanilla and coffee taste to. Little to sweet for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BroSpud (2125) - , Massachusetts, USA - SEP 13, 2009
Large Bottle. I really like the Southern Tier stouts. While this one is not one of my favorites it is still well done and very unique. I found it to be a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Definitely cannot drink too much of this at a time. A snifter after dinner makes for a good desert though.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Jblauvs (1357) - Chester, Vermont, USA - SEP 12, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2012 Pour is Dark Brown. Aroma Is Baileys, cream and burnt sugar, custard. Flavor is Super sweet sugar and coffee. Way too sweet to drink, I cannot handle more than a few ounces of this stuff and I choose not to drink even that much. If you are looking for something intensely sweet and sticky you may enjoy this, but it is not something I enjoy.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
DeeBee21 (51) - NH, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 12, 2009
Dark black pour, tan thin head. Aroma is soooOOoo sweet! Lots of vanilla custard, and burnt sugar, and chocolate also that boozy Bailys scent, it actually smells more like tiramisu . Flavor is soo sweeeet but actually not as bad as I would of thought, Still takes a lot more like tiramisu then creme brulee. Has that lady finger flavor, still custardy and cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate. Pretty much just smells like it taste. Taste just how I assumed, sweet but not overpowering. Nice treat.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goldfish19 (50) - Long Island, New York, USA - SEP 11, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2009 ~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to its last. Even if imperial milk stouts arent your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
matthewjk (1089) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2009
Sometimes you just have to make a stand. This beer is not drinkable. Syrupy-sweet artificialness all over the place overwhelmed me. I thought maybe this would mellow out, but it did not. I will give credit to Southern Tier for having the gumption to try something different, but this was a drain pour for me. Considering the price, I really didnt want it to be. Southern Tiers Jav-ah stout is excellent, so I know they make good stuff.