overall
RATINGS: 1644   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

nealblind (1864) - Seattle, Alabama, USA - SEP 15, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2013 Rating 4.7 date 8/31/2013: Dark brown smells like the dessert, milk caramel. Tastes like it too. Well balanced though with a slight dry and bitter coffee finish. CLASSIC Rating 4.5 date 9/15/2009: For me there is no such thing as too sweet. I eat marshmallows like other people eat potato chips. For me this is a tier one beer all the way. The only thing that could make it better would be a thicker mouthfeel and longer lasting head. The carmel milky flavor more than makes up for it and the bitter roasted finish encourages you to have another sip. I will have this again when I am trying to seduce someone.

boamr (310) - Allentown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 15, 2009
Pours black with just a slight tan head to it. Has a sweet vanilla smell to it. Has a sweet, vanilla and coffee taste to. Little to sweet for me.

BroSpud (2188) - , Massachusetts, USA - SEP 13, 2009
Large Bottle. I really like the Southern Tier stouts. While this one is not one of my favorites it is still well done and very unique. I found it to be a bit on the sweet side for my tastes. Definitely cannot drink too much of this at a time. A snifter after dinner makes for a good desert though.

Jblauvs (1358) - Chester, Vermont, USA - SEP 12, 2009
UPDATED: NOV 20, 2012 Pour is Dark Brown. Aroma Is Bailey’s, cream and burnt sugar, custard. Flavor is Super sweet sugar and coffee. Way too sweet to drink, I cannot handle more than a few ounces of this stuff and I choose not to drink even that much. If you are looking for something intensely sweet and sticky you may enjoy this, but it is not something I enjoy.

DeeBee21 (51) - NH, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 12, 2009
Dark black pour, tan thin head. Aroma is soooOOoo sweet! Lots of vanilla custard, and burnt sugar, and chocolate also that boozy Baily’s scent, it actually smells more like tiramisu . Flavor is soo sweeeet but actually not as bad as I would of thought, Still takes a lot more like tiramisu then creme brulee. Has that lady finger flavor, still custardy and cinnamon, sugar, and chocolate. Pretty much just smells like it taste. Taste just how I assumed, sweet but not overpowering. Nice treat.

goldfish19 (50) - Long Island, New York, USA - SEP 11, 2009
UPDATED: OCT 7, 2009 ~Purchased this 22 oz bomber from Big Z Beverage in Huntington, NY. You are either going to love this concoction or hate it. I actually enjoyed every moment of this gem from the first sip to it’s last. Even if imperial milk stout’s aren’t your thing, you should give this beer a try at least once – you will not be disappointed! The 10% ABV is undetectable, so drink carefully. Wonderful beer! ~

matthewjk (1101) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 10, 2009
Sometimes you just have to make a stand. This beer is not drinkable. Syrupy-sweet artificialness all over the place overwhelmed me. I thought maybe this would mellow out, but it did not. I will give credit to Southern Tier for having the gumption to try something different, but this was a drain pour for me. Considering the price, I really didn’t want it to be. Southern Tier’s Jav-ah stout is excellent, so I know they make good stuff.

madsberg (11770) - Søborg, DENMARK - SEP 9, 2009
Bottled. Pitch black coloured. Fluffy light brown head. Aroma is sweet, full of molasses, chocolate, loads of vanilla, vague liqourice. Reminds me a lot of Baileys Irish Cream. Flavour of chocolate, vanilla, light alcohol, light coffee, light roast, light caramel. Very nice and again this Bailey feeling. Medium to full bodied. Ends on a sweet and chocolaty note. Quite nice. Hides the alcohol very well.

ScottyP (425) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - SEP 8, 2009
Pours a clear dark brown with tan head. Jesus the aroma on this one is great. Creme brulee all the way with candy corn, vanilla, caramel. Great lacing. Taste is wonderful I almost want to drink this out of a spoon. A nice bitter finish as well. Forget dessert, I would drink this for dessert every day.

MmmcKay (1052) - Brentwood, Tennessee, USA - SEP 8, 2009
Creamy dark brown almost black color. Creme Brulee, funnel cake cake candy jumps out of the nose. Awesome! Candy corn. Confectioner sugar. Wonderful nose. "Good shit!" says Jabo. Tastes amazing too. Maybe too sweet for some. This is the epitome of a dessert beer. It’s fucking candy man. Hides the 10% abv well. Can’t say enough good things about this brew. Now tied with Stone Ruination as my highest rated beer!!! Salud!