overall
RATINGS: 1580   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
“a stout of great contention” We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; it’s all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crème Brûlée, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv • 25º plato • 195º L • 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

brewblackhole (1588) - Muskego, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 18, 2008
The vanilla and Creme Brulee are overpowering both in the taste and aroma,,sweet,full and slightly bitter in finish,a little to much for me

cakanator (452) - South Hadley, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 17, 2008
On tap @ Sierra. Poured in snifter very dark followed by a slap in the face of carmel and vanilla aromas. Took me a long time to knock even the snifter of it down but the flavors are so rich as if you were drinking liquid creme brulee. This is not an everyday drink, but I would be interested to see its aging capability.

dmtroyer (431) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 17, 2008
22oz. Pours a not very appealing dark brown with a light brown head. Smells like burnt coffee with way too much vanilla creamer added. Body is extremely sweet butterscotch with a blast of ruby red grapefruit for good measure. Palate is surprisingly light with some decent carbonation, I expected it to be much more viscous. Very intense, split this one with a few people.

Maverick34 (3248) - New York, USA - SEP 16, 2008
Draft at blind tiger. At first I thought it smelled like vanilla then I realized it was like burnt butterscotch. Alcohol was not well camouflaged and it burned on the way down. Hard to drink really.

SuzyGreenberg (1603) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 16, 2008
draft @ sunset grill - my excitement to try this brew quickly faded as it was just an overly sweet mess; jet black with huge aromas of caramel and butterscotch; spot on for the aromas; nothing offensive in the brew, just way too sweet and i couldn’t finish; body is on the light side despite all the sugars; most of the stout characteristics are just simply overwhelmed rather than complimented

jredmond (8338) - New York, New York, USA - SEP 15, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 8, 2012 Several Four oz glasses at NYBrew Fest. Pours dark brown with small brown head. The aroma is strong vanilla, caramel and deliciousness. Once we got to the Southern Tier section we whored out for a good 45 minutes. :::SECOND TRY::: Bottle Split with RyGuy. Pours pitch black. Aroma is incredible - vanilla, sugar, creme brulee. The taste starts off sweet, finishes with a mildly bitter, roasty flavor which is a great contrast. No alcohol present. +0.1

paytoplay (146) - , California, USA - SEP 15, 2008
High rating as this is what it is. Creme Brulee in a bottle. Sweet, tons of rich carmel sugar and vanilla. Take hold of the palate and lingers for hours. Mission accomplished.

thejoeshow (232) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours a very rich chocolate brown with a tan head. There is a huge nose on this thing! Strong aromas of vanilla overwhelm the bouquet. This beer is SUPER tasty!!! There are very big flavors running around on this thing. Lots of vanilla cream, cheesecake, and even a touch of maple syrup flavors. Very rich, I’m not sure I could drink an entire bottle by myself. This beer is great, the only thing is that I felt it might be a little too thin on the mouth feel to be called a stout, but who’s counting.

madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Bottle. Pours oily black with a thin light brown head. Overwhelming aroma of vanilla and caramel. Smells like dessert. Taste is pleasant, coffee, caramel, vanilla, slight bitterness. Not bad. I could imagine this as a Starbucks beverage.

ganache (5958) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Finally time to crack this sucker out of the fridge; she counts as my 50th impy rating, at least as things are classified now. Bomber. Aroma is immediately and powerfully vanilla, both beany and medicinal, spilling over the lips and flooding the room. Dead on custard with the sweet caramel sauce spooned onto ice cream (vanilla bean, of course). Light lactose. A liquid candy bar! Pours a very dark ruby, essentially pitch black, with a scant light brown head. Tastes as it smells, but with a little unrefined booze and even a few burned / smoked sensations. Butterscotch. Kind of a syrupy, goopy mess, and though I appreciate its uniqueness (this is instantly identifiable, and pretty true to the stated Crème Brûlée target), but I didn’t even get through a quarter-bottle before the cloy turned me off for good. Perhaps better appreciated among four or five friends after dinner.