overall
RATINGS: 1638   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
a stout of great contention We are not the harbingers of truth as some may suggest but it may indeed be argued that our brewing philosophy is tantamount to a dessert with a bellicose past. How, you may ask, would a brewery determine a likeness to hard-coated custard? Our response is simple; its all in the power of history, and of course, the extra finesse needed to top off a contentious treat with definition.

By comprehending the labyrinthine movement of time, one would not think it strange to trace the errant path of an ordinary object such as a cream dessert only to discover that it has been the cause of cultural disputes since the middle ages. The British founders of burnt cream and from Spain, crema catalana, both stand by their creative originality and we respect that, but it was the French Crme Brle, amid the strife of contention, that survived to represent our deliciously creamy brew. 9.6% abv 25 plato 195 L 22 oz / 1/6 keg 2-row pale malt / dark caramel malt / vanilla bean / lactose sugar / kettle hops: columbus / aroma hops: horizon

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
thejoeshow (232) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2008
22 oz bottle. Pours a very rich chocolate brown with a tan head. There is a huge nose on this thing! Strong aromas of vanilla overwhelm the bouquet. This beer is SUPER tasty!!! There are very big flavors running around on this thing. Lots of vanilla cream, cheesecake, and even a touch of maple syrup flavors. Very rich, I’m not sure I could drink an entire bottle by myself. This beer is great, the only thing is that I felt it might be a little too thin on the mouth feel to be called a stout, but who’s counting.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
madcow75 (426) - Sun Prairie, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Bottle. Pours oily black with a thin light brown head. Overwhelming aroma of vanilla and caramel. Smells like dessert. Taste is pleasant, coffee, caramel, vanilla, slight bitterness. Not bad. I could imagine this as a Starbucks beverage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
EithCubes (5712) - New Jersey, USA - SEP 13, 2008
Finally time to crack this sucker out of the fridge; she counts as my 50th impy rating, at least as things are classified now. Bomber. Aroma is immediately and powerfully vanilla, both beany and medicinal, spilling over the lips and flooding the room. Dead on custard with the sweet caramel sauce spooned onto ice cream (vanilla bean, of course). Light lactose. A liquid candy bar! Pours a very dark ruby, essentially pitch black, with a scant light brown head. Tastes as it smells, but with a little unrefined booze and even a few burned / smoked sensations. Butterscotch. Kind of a syrupy, goopy mess, and though I appreciate its uniqueness (this is instantly identifiable, and pretty true to the stated Crme Brle target), but I didnt even get through a quarter-bottle before the cloy turned me off for good. Perhaps better appreciated among four or five friends after dinner.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
JK (5971) - St. Louis Park, Minnesota, USA - SEP 13, 2008
It is certainly intense. The aroma has butterscotch, caramel, and vanilla. Flavor has loads of vanilla and sweetened cream along with sugar. Incredibly sweet, and a beer can be sweet, that is fine by me. But why they would bottle this in bombers is a mystery to me. Put this one in a nip.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - SEP 12, 2008
Dessert was a vital and integral part of dinner when I was growing up, and not necessarily limited to just dinner. Any meal had the potential of finishing itself off with a deliciously decadent treat. Many times I would find myself wondering wistfully if there were a way to take some of my favorite deserts and bottle them up so I could enjoy them any time, at home or even on the go. While I don’t think on-the-go would quite work in this instance, one of my top three favorite desserts of all times has been brewed and bottled for my quaffing pleasure. Stout + crme brulee = beer ecstasy.
This brings me to Southern Tier Brewing who has accomplished such a seductively dangerous objective. Their Imperial Crme Brulee Stout. She came to me with her sweet seductive gaze and I was smitten immediately. An almost absolutely black stout, my Imperial Crme Brulee poured into my glass, filling its depths like a black hole as it sucked almost all light out of there. Her nose whispers to me of sweet, almost burnt caramel, much like you’d find on top of a crme brulee, tons of fresh vanilla bean, and fresh cream. If my eyes were closed and someone set this beer in front of me, I would swear on smell alone that a plate of fresh crme brulee had been beset before me. Her body is creamy and smooth like milk with vanilla bean and caramel caress my tastebuds. A bit of a bite right in the finish, as if to express her naughty side. Other than that though, no real presence of hops, just viscous, oily, and tongue coating imperial stout pleasure. A lingering chocolate and vanilla finish balances out this nearly perfectly brewed and bottled creation of a crme brulee.
Im all for a dessert brew, and the Crme Brulee Stout fits my desires perfectly. I could sit and smell this beer for minutes on end, taking in her mouth-watering aromas before I even touch her body with my lips. Delicious.

jercraigs (10133) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 12, 2008
2008-09-11. Pitc black body with a modest creamy tan head. Huge aroma, sweet, vanilla and caramel, slight spice note hiding in the back. Similar flavour, sweet prominent vanilla wit caramel touches, mocha notes? More of the light spice, barely there roast. Very smooth rich medium bodied palate, light carbonation suits it. (4+) Really nice, but I’d have a hard time drinking more than a little bit of it in a sitting. Bottle courtesy of swoopjones shared by tuqueboy

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - SEP 11, 2008
Bottle, thanks Harry. Very dark brown, not much of a head. Intense and lovely dessert like vanilla and butterscotch aroma - man, these guys can nail aromas - just as good as the Kuhnhenn I had a couple of years ago. Taste is initially superb - rich vanilla and butterscotch, some coffee bitterness mixed in and extreme heat - not so much in taste initially, but I could feel my ears warm and expand with a few sips. But I just did not find the body hefty enough to hold it all up - it did become cloying quickly (keep this one cold). It made for a lovely post dinner drink with my wife, but it was a challenge to get through half the 650ml. A neat creative effort from one of the more exciting brewers out there - not a home run - somewhere between a triple and a ground rule double (I really should have saved that as a pun for a Belgian rating)..

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - SEP 11, 2008
Thankfully I shared this beer since I poured mine out for being too cloying. This is no fresh Kuhnhenn Crme Brle. :( Dark body with a thin light brown head. Sweet chocolate and coffee. Flavor is disappointing and too sweet. Is not balanced like the Kuhnhenn beer. I could not finish this beer, let alone finish a 6.7 oz bottle if one existed.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TaktikMTL (7299) - Montral, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 11, 2008
Bouteille de 22 oz partage lors d’une dgustation Ratebeer Montral chez moi. Arme: Odeur de Bailey’s et de rhum au coconut. Apparence: La couleur est noire opaque. Prsence d’un mince col beige mousseux et d’une fine dentelle sur le verre. Saveur: Got de coconut, de caramel et de vanille. Dure moyenne de l’arrire got. Palette: Le corps est moyen avec une texture lgrement crmeuse. Faible effervescence en bouche. Lgre prsence de vanille en arrire got. (Rating #1946)

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
scraff (2121) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 10, 2008
22 oz Perfect Pour. Black, tan creamy head. Intense butterscotch and toasted vanilla bean aromas ride huge waves of creamy chocolate coffee and warm sugar cookies. Sweet rich caramel and bready vanilla flavors mingle with deep roasted chocolate and coffee tones throughout. Soft swirls of black currant round this off to near perfection. Full bodied, soft carbonation, bittersweet ending. This masterpiece makes for an incredible dessert beer. Just awesome