overall

RATINGS: 976   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.85/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
blended hoppe & unearthly High in the winter sky, two parallel stick figures are visible & known as the twins, or the constellation Gemini. The astronauts of the 1960s flew as teams of two in a program named after the celestial pairing. At Southern Tier, we have our own fraternal twins, Hoppe & Unearthly. Blended together & placed in this vessel, the mission of our Gemini is to travel high & take passengers on a journey far into the heavens. 10.5% abv 5.8L * 22 Plato
2-row pale malt, malted white wheat, cara-pils malt, red wheat. Kettle hops: columbus, chinook, cascade; aroma hops: amarillo; hop back: styrian goldings; dry hops: amarillo, cascade, centenial, chinook & columbus.

2012 vintage 9% abv

patrickfannon (1241) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 22, 2009
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2010 Bottle. 25.4 oz. (2007 Vintage) - Gold Wax Sealed - I purchased this hidden gem from Joe Canals West Deptford about six months ago. The bottle already had about two years of age on it, and I aged it vertically in my dark, damp, cool cellar for another six months. I decided to open this bottle in honor of my one and only brother Seans 21st Birthday. The aroma seeped out strong and heavy as soon as I cracked the cap. Pours an immense, glowing ruby-orange with a thick, sturdy, pillowy white head. Full, beautifully arranged lacing fills the walls of the glass. Nose is at once aggressive and inviting; light maple syrup and caramel give way to Belgian candied brown-sugars, molassess, caramel, and honey, and follow through with a firm, yet soft and accomodating body. Extremely smooth, supple, cleanly-sweet palate. I have not the words to capture the perfection of this brew. Brewed perfectly, aged perfectly. One of the best, genuinely gratifying beer experiences of my life. Thank you Southern Tier.

hophead1234 (46) - - APR 9, 2015
Bottle at home. Pours orangish with white head. Taste citrus, sweet, fruity. I thought this was good. I would drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
bialover (10) - Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2011
Great piney hopppy nose. great hoppy malty body, great balance of sweet and bitter. finishing smoothly

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
Gymsox (1) - High Bridge, New Jersey, USA - FEB 21, 2008 does not count
Amazing hop aroma and much cleaner palate than Unearlthy, definately more balanced. Nice creamy texture which allows a small amount of bite from the hops to emerge. Subtle floral and recognizable fruit flavors. A finish that begs for more.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
JeremyScott (2) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 1, 2009 does not count
Not much else to say about the Gemini but just drink it and love it!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeantownVol (4) - USA - FEB 22, 2010 does not count
This lovely blend of hoppe and the delightful Unearthly IPA gives this great bear a fresh nose and a citrus pop with a very strong hop flavor on the tip of you tongue. Its a great bear for the incoming spring and summer months.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Balazs (787) - Den Haag, NETHERLANDS - JUL 31, 2010
This one is just pure heaven, I wont be able to describe how good this one really is. Amber color with an off-white, lacing head. Citrus, grapefruit, honey, pine, and some almonds in the aroma. Dense, well matching carbonation. Overall, this one left me speechless. Outstanding!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
BeerBelcher (972) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JAN 12, 2008
An awful lot of Southern Tier beers have come into my life lately. They are mostly excellent, and this one is especially so. Appearance is not as great as other Southern Tier beers Ive had lately. Appearance is a straw color which is transparent but hazy. There is a ton of very fluffy, sturdy, and appealing head on this beer. Aroma is fantastic; light and very citrus-y balanced with some maltiness. Flavor is also fantastic, balanced but highly hopped, citrus-y, and sweet. There is also some nice piney-ness. I thought it was great. Mouthfeel is appropriately a bit thick and sticky. I really enjoyed this beer. In fact, I thought it was fantastic. I got this 22oz bomber at 3 Cellars.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
ElGaucho (2400) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - FEB 16, 2008
Bottle. Love the wax top! Wonderful, sweet, fruity, hoppy aroma with near perfect balance. Its hard to imagine a more perfect aroma, so i will go ahead and give it the perfect 10, which I dont do so lightly. Slightly hazy dark gold body with plentiful visible carbonation rising from the middle of the glass. Similar in this way to STs Big Red. I love a beer that has carbonation like this because it confirms that the beer is alive and fresh. Beautiful lacing that leaves layers on the glass, revealing the succession of consumption, like a tree stump reveals its rings of history. If youre an IPA/Double IPA nut like me, you get to a point when youve had a couple hundred of them where its hard to determine, without comparing side-by-side, where the top entries rank. When you taste an outstanding one, you just know its outstanding. But how outstanding? Its sometimes hard to say. Is this the best Double IPA Ive ever had. I dont think so. Can I be sure of that? Not really. Im not sure Id even be able to say its better than one of its blended elements, UnEarthly, is on its own as I recall liking that better. Although Im pretty sure I like it better than the Hoppe on its own. Reminds me very much like Three Floyds Alpha King, even given the considerable difference in strength. Gemini hides its strength whereas Alpha King accentuates its. I would love to put this brew up against the likes of Dreadnaught and Ruination. I think it could hold its own and wouldnt be overly surprised if it beat out one of them in a taste test. Im generally a beer purist and shy away from mixing beers together. Without a lot of experience in doing this, I have still seen where it has created a beer better than the sum of its parts. That isnt the case with this beer, as it doesnt surpass the UnEarthly, at least i dont think so without comparing them directly, but the product is very impressive indeed. Whats perhaps not logical is that Alpha King is that my rating for Alpha King is still one of my few perfect 5s. This brew is better, yet doesnt get the top rating. I bought 3 other bottles to bring with me for beer enthusiast friends of mine in MN. For their sake, lets hope they make it there.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
KornDogg (570) - Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 5, 2009
hoppy aroma... hoppy/bitter with a nice smooth blend and a surprising sweet aftertaste .... one of my new southern tier favs