RATINGS: 1839   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Púca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Púca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow it’s alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let it’s deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

humulushound (244) - British Columbia, CANADA - OCT 23, 2009
Brilliantly crafted, first time trying and loved it. Pours into tulip deep orange with little head. Aroma is amazing - rich baked pumpkin, cardamon, nutmeg and allspice, light toffee and a hint of whipped cream. Taste is much the same with full, rounded flavors, late bitterness and hidden alcohol. Mouthfeel is almost perfect, smooth, creamy and resinous with a little hop bite that I’m sure with smooth out with age. This ale is liquid pie perfection.

neepsntatties (2041) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 23, 2009
Bomber. Colour.... orange with no head at all. Nose... roasted pumpking and roasted pumpkin seeds, pie spice. Palate... more roasted pumpkin and seeds, brown sugar, gently pie spice. Truly a pumpkin ale and not a, "pumpkin-pie-spice ale" like so many pumpkin ales really are!

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - OCT 23, 2009
First off, I dislike pumpkins, my wife’s mother bought this for me because they didn’t have one of the beers I told her to get, so a lad a Austin Liqours picked this out instead. I infact, don’t like pumpkins, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, or pumpkin pudding, if it’s a food that starts with pumpkin I have a natural loathing towards it. That being said, this beer isn’t bad. I wouldn’t ever buy it again, because, like I said, I don’t like pumpkins, however, it IS a well crafted brew, and that much I can appreciate. The beer pours a manuka honey gold, with a shortly lived head. The aroma is....oh my stars.....pumpkin.....pumpkin pie to be exact, and i do mean EXACT. The flavour follows suit with a liquid replica of pumpkin pie. with an underlying sweetness that I find to be very well balanced with a sour/bitter hop bite all the way through and on to the finish. I very decent brew from one of my favorite brewing companies. God Bless You Southern Tier, for making life worth living.

MrChopin (4305) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 22, 2009
Amber color with a foamy white head, heavy lacing. Nose is doughy and sweet, with faint sugary cookie, pumpkin, and light cinnamon and ginger. Overly sweet flavor loses some of the nuance from the nose, the cookie and ginger dominating. Light bitterness in the finish, but still sweet and bordering on cloying. Rather short finish that retains a hint of cookie. One of the best pumpkin beers I’ve had, and incredibly malty, yet this doesn’t go beyond "good" when considered in the context of all beers.

chriso (21656) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - OCT 22, 2009
On tap at Kinsale Irish Pub, Boston MA, 2 October 2009. Murky orange colour. Outrageous spicing. Drenched in vanilla. Also cinnamon and something like Parma violets. Way over the top. Distinctly sweet mouthfeel. I’m not generally a huge fan of pumpkin beers and this didn’t do anything to change my mind. The redeeming feature was that it is a big beer so there is an alcohol warmth and some other elements (touches of fruity malt?) to provide token competition for the spices. But I can’t say it was a particularly enjoyable experience overall.

GarrettB (1658) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 21, 2009
Pumpkin beers are reason #3646 to love the Fall. It’s not hard to market a beer that tastes like a drinkable pumpkin pie. But the flipside of this seasonal treat is that there are a lot of pumpkin beers out there that don’t taste like pumpkin at all. And sadly, Southern Tier’s Imperial Pumking is one of them. And what’s more, this beer came as a recommendation from my local Whole Foods beer monger as a complement to a bottle of Elysian Night Own (my favorite pumpkin beer of all). Like others, the Imperial Pumking develops a thin, white head, and the body is a plain, unadorned orange, with a semi-transparency that does little to hint at the particularly and iconically orange ingredients involved. And from this unassuming orange puddle comes an intensely sweet, perfume-of-candy-shop and creamy aroma. Clove, pumpkin spices, and, in something of a trailblazing move in pumpkin beers, a heavy scent of whipped cream. I also detect heavy caramelized aromas, most especially the distinct smell of baked pie crust. But when the Pumking’s flavor tries to imitate the aroma, it becomes a disaster. Immediately the flavor is pronounced cloying - far, far too sweet, like a cream soda with pumpkin and vegetal notes, but the pumpkin is faint, its decrees a tinny echo in overcrowded room. Thick, sweet flavors like yam repeat their mantra, again and again, muting the pumpkin and covering my palate with the flavor of that ubiquitous Thanksgiving treat: marshmallow and yam casserole.

joemomma (1) - New Jersey, USA - OCT 21, 2009 does not count
Rather dissapointing considering the price tag on a bomber of this stuff.Aroma was marginal and the mouthfeel was thin.Color is a decent medium amber with a head that dropped way to fast.Think I’ll pass the Pumking next time.

jameswolfe (160) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - OCT 21, 2009
Definitely the best pumpkin ale I have ever had and the only one that deserves the name. Smells just like pumpkin pie and tastes as well. Not for everyone, but very festive.

VillageBeerVin (17) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 20, 2009
Bottle from Village Beer Merchant. Alright, this became one of top 5 favorite beers 2 years ago and cemented my love of Southern Tier Brewing, so I might still be biased......Pours a straightforward clear golden color with a small beige head that dissipates in a few minutes. Aroma is soooooo nice: Toasty malt, pumpkin pie spice, and the faint vegetable scent of pumpkin innards. Mouthfeel: Creamy with average carbonation, light alcohol burn that is not as well hidden as last year. Taste: Hoppier than last year...Southern Tier just can’t stay away from the hops. While this isn’t neccesarily a bad thing, fans of the last few vintages’ pure sparkling pumpkin pie flavor might be a bit letdown. The hop bitterness kind of binds itself with the spice bitternessm in the middle, but the finish is the same toasted malt and pumpkin pie as previous years with a more noticable, but not overwhelming sweet alcohol flavor and burn. Still one of my favorites that I will highly recommend, and still my favorite pumpkin ale. I love hops, so the addition of more of them didn’t change my love of this autumnal treat. Since the hoppy Harvest Ale from the same brewer uses some similar hops, adding a splash of ’King to it actually works. Although, trying this beer with vanilla ice cream brought out all the vegetable qualities to the forefront in a strange way...I think I’ll be sipping my Pumking untainted from here on out.

livelaughlovep (108) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2009
Just not for me. Smells like a pie, tastes like a pie. WIth a weird aftertaste of beer. So its like you ate pie, and then belched up some beer with it. Heavy on the pumpkin pie spices and even a note of crust. I just couldn’t drink this one.