RATINGS: 1839   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Púca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Púca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow it’s alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let it’s deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

sinkr (323) - Odenton, Maryland, USA - AUG 20, 2008
Bomber->lager glass: Pours an average, frothy, white head that exhibits excellent lacing atop an amber body. There is a earthy yeast aroma, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon aroma emanating from the glass. The body is medium, texture is oily and creamy and no carbonation. The flavor’s duration is average-to-long, and lightly sweet. Really makes me think of pumpkin pie--an excellent beer.

Zbong (38) - Lansing, Michigan, USA - AUG 20, 2008
Pours clear orange with a thin fizzy head. This is one of the most unique beers I’ve had. Tastes like eating the crust of pumpkin pie. Very good, but towards the bottom the taste gets a little doughy. Overall a nice beer.

jetzler (622) - oklahoma city, Oklahoma, USA - AUG 19, 2008
Bottle, pours a clear golden orange color with no head to speak of. Pumpkin pie aroma, spice and sugar and lots of pumpkin. Great pumpkin flavor very clean alcohol is present as the only detraction, but other than that its really nice.

walleye (1102) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - AUG 18, 2008
My 1st pumpkin beer for this year and what way to start. poureda clear amber with a small off white head. aroma pumkin pie spice brown sugar, cinnamon, and all the other wonderful spices that go into a pie. Flavor If I wasn’t drinking this I would swear it taste just like the pumpkin pies I make for thanksgiving dinner.

dmac (6459) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - AUG 18, 2008
22 oz bomber purchased at Spirits RB. After being let down by Choklat and utterly disappointed by Creme Brulee I wasn’t sure what to epxect with this one. Well Southern Tier nails this beer by giving it a good dose of pumpkin and spice but not making it to over the top a la Creme Brulee. The noe has notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg. The flavor is pumpkin and cinnamon that balances nicely with the base beer. I can’t stress enough how nicely balanced this beer is and by no means do you notice the 9% alcohol that I’m sure will easily sneak up on some people.

Damico (3150) - Royersford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 17, 2008
Wow, this beer is awesome! Just like the menu said, it tastes like pumpkin bread right off the bat. There is the perfect balance of malt and pumpkin flavor and just the right sweetness. It’s the best pumpkin beer I’ve tasted, no wonder why I’ve matched it with my Chimay white rating.

User29624 (1687) - - AUG 17, 2008
I am not a huge fan of pumpkin beers, but I would have to say that this is the best one I have had so far. Really strong aroma, spices, cinnamon, brown sugar, and pumpkin. Good flavor. Actually really smooth and easy to drink, didn’t seem like 9% beer to me. Good stuff. Can’t say I would drink a ton of these, but very good for something different. Worth a try.

fiver29 (1112) - Cleveland, Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2008
On tap pours a clear copper ’pumpkin’ color with a orange like head. The aroma on this beer is awesome. I can smell pumpkin spices of cinnamon and nutmeg with crust in the background. After smelling this I taste a pumpking pie in a glass. I taste the spices with full pumpkin flavor throughout. Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. Overall this is easily my favorite pumpkin ale. The combo of smells and flavors combine to make drinking this a true pumpkin pie in a glass. I need more!

nuplastikk (6452) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 15, 2008
22oz bottle. Medium orange hue with a moderate head, semi-transparent. Intense cinnamon-nutmeg aroma. The taste is equally intense, not unlike pumpkin pie. The body isn’t quite as thick as some of the Pumpkin Ales I’ve had, which is a good thing in this case. Comes off quite quite easy drinking, with a sweet natural aftertaste. This is certainly one of the best Pumpkin beers you can find.

12many (277) - Alaska, USA - AUG 12, 2008
Bottle. Hazy orangish copper with a fine head and good lacing. Aroma is pumpkin, nutmeg, some other spices, and brown sugar. Reminds me of Autumn and the trees changing colors. Really digging this aroma. Flavor is mostly sweet but I can taste some bitterness which makes me think of hops although I couldn’t pick any up on the aroma. Palate is medium bodied, very smooth, moderate carbonation, and leaves a little aftertaste which makes a second sip inevidable. Alcohol is well hidden but is slightly warming a few seconds after swallowing. Expectations exceeded.