RATINGS: 1926   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 258   ABV: 8.6%
Pumking is an ode to Púca, a creature of Celtic folklore, who is both feared and respected by those who believe in it. Púca is said to waylay travelers throughout the night, tossing them on its back, and providing them the ride of their lives, from which they return forever changed. Brewed in the spirit of All Hallows Eve, a time of the year when spirits can make contact with the physical world and when magic is most potent. Pour Pumking into a goblet and allow it’s alluring spirit to overflow. As spicy aromas present themselves, let it’s deep copper color entrance you as your journey into this mystical brew has just begun. As the first drops touch your tongue a magical spell will bewitch your taste buds making it difficult to escape the Pumking.
2007 - Brown Label 7.9% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2008 - Brown Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2009 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/text & logo on bottlecap
2010 - Orange Label 9.0% ABV w/logo only on bottlecap
2011 - Orange wood grain background label 8.6% ABV and Southern Tier logotype in two lines.
2012 - Same as 2011 label 8.6% ABV, silver/black/white bottlecap.
2013 - Same as 2012 label and bottle cap 8.6% ABV, date stamp in green text.
2014 - New label design w/orange/white/green, 8.6% ABV

ChadPolenz (1821) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - SEP 26, 2016
2015 BJCP Category: 30B Autumn Seasonal Beer (base style: ?)

AROMA: Strong cinnamon graham cracker scent. Nutmeg is quite prominent along with a general autumn spicy aroma. Alcohol is present, but mostly as a background note. No distinctive malt or hop presence. 10/12

APPEARANCE: Pumpkin skin bright orange. Very cloudy body with sediment floating in suspension. Small, beige, soapy foam dissipates quickly. 1/3

FLAVOR: Mild base of pale and amber malts, though they are not especially sweet on their own. A honey/lemon flavor indicative of oxidation emerges towards the middle (though it blends with the palette). Cinnamon and nutmeg gently bite at the end with slight cracker/crust taste. Alcohol imparts a liqueur-type sensation. Palette has diminished with age but is still quite flavorful. Faint spicy hops. 14/20

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body; low carbonation. Feels a bit flat in the mouth (but not slick). Alcohol warmth is fairly subtle and easily tolerated. Clean, dry aftertaste. 3/5

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Tastes very good for a year-old vintage, but nothing was gained by aging this beer. Spices faded; mouthfeel is a bit dull. 7/10

TOTAL SCORE: 34/50

DISCLAIMER: The author is not a certified BJCP judge; therefore, this score sheet is not necessarily indicative of proper BJCP judging techniques and protocol. The author is grading to 2015 BJCP Guidelines in order to prepare for examination.

unclemike (3124) - Ft. Riley, Kansas, USA - SEP 23, 2016
Pour is a bright amber/orange with a very minimal head of small white spots. Aroma is rich with spices, especially allspice and nutmeg. I can see how others don’t enjoy it, but I find it very enticing. The flavor is pretty much the same thing. Pretty nice spicy pumpkin beer with some pleasant doughy malts.

Darwenus (1140) - Virginia, USA - SEP 17, 2016
After trying and enjoying Warlock, I thought it possible that my palate is changing and maybe I’ll enjoy Pumking more now. I checked for my review at ratebeer.com and I was surprised to see that I’d never reviewed Pumking before. To be honest, I haven’t tried it in years, so I decided to get a bottle. I don’t remember enjoying it much in the past, but I think it’s pretty good now. It pours amber with average head and carbonation, the aroma is pumpkin spice and rich, sweet malt. The flavor is malty, rich, and warm. The pumpkin and spices are all over the finish. I don’t think I’ll wait another four or five years before I have this again.

rosskyle (723) - Denver, Colorado, USA - SEP 15, 2016
12oz bottle. Clear orange Amber color with a white head. Sweet pumpkin spice aroma. Pumpkin spice smokey earth slight hops flavor. Medium heavy body. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bulldogops (2507) - Edmonton, Alberta, CANADA - SEP 15, 2016
Rating #2110- 2015.10.08. Bottle from BevMo,Clear dark-amber pour, that produces a bubbly foam. Aroma is potent, lots of nutmeg, cinnamon, hint of allspice. Taste is malty, lots of sweet and grainy notes, moderate alcohol warmth. Balanced at 8.6%

ryrpat (372) - Illinois, USA - SEP 15, 2016
I am not a huge pumpkin beer fan but I can appreciate what this beer is. Right in flavor but not too overpowering. Had it on draft so that made it easier to Deno for me ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

willisread (3350) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle shared. Thanks Winton! Big pumpkin pie nose with some chocolate and vanilla quietly sitting in the background. Hides the booze so well. Decadent piece of liquid pumpkin pie.

jinroh (1605) - ESTONIA - SEP 3, 2016
Nice golden pour. Aroma has loads of pumpkin, spices, cinnamon and some vegetable feel to it - which actually feels also nice and complements the bouquet well. Taste is full on pumpkin, cinnamon, not too sweet nor cloying. Sort of perfect pumpkin beer, heavy but still drinkable.

muzzlehatch (4959) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 30, 2016
22 ounce bottle from Woodman’s in Rockford, IL, consumed a bit below cellar temp in a Konig Pils glass. Hazy bright orange, little head, fully diminishing...sweet pie-spice aroma, more spice than pumpkin probably - basically pumpkin cookies...on the tongue it’s booze immediately, and it doesn’t let up; this is one of the more overtly alcohol-dominant beers of it’s strength I’ve ever had, and it’s sort of a raw alcohol not all that well mixed with light vegetable/fruity notes and a bit of sharp hops towards the end (just a bit), with very little malt evident; touches of dark chocolate roastiness do appear eventually with some warmth, but it’s not enough. Rather thin - yet syrupy from the alcohol - low carbonation. I loved this beer when I first had it, probably 2009-10 or so, in part because it was a lot more "pumpkiny" than most other beers of it’s type that I could get then - Smuttynose was the only other one I remember liking at the time. And I usually bought it a couple of times every fall and still enjoyed it, but last year things started to change, possibly in me or possibly in the beer - or both as they have changed the recipe over the years - and this year’s model I find pretty hard to choke down, and probably won’t finish the bottle. Sigh.

FlatAffect (1) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 27, 2016 does not count
Usually I jump along for the ride with all of the fanfair surrounding the annual pumpkin beer craze. Pumking always stands the tallest as the best and most remarkable. First tast this year, 2016, was from a four pack of 12 oz. bottles. Not sure if there has been a recipe change or if there is a freshness issue with my local purchase. It does not tast skunked, however, it has an umistakable bitterness of hasty handling. Maybe the smaller bottling is not an ideal delivery of the stuff. If it tastes like this again, it will be my last sampling of southern tier’s pumkin beer till next year. If it keeps tasting like this? I’ll move on to the other exploding variety of seasonal fall beers and leave this one in the past as a "has been."