overall
RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Don’t let Tripel’s light color and delicate aroma fool you, this is one serious beer brewed with maximum effort. First, we introduce freshest barley to crystal filtered water. Second, we add the best hops shipped directly for Europe. Third, our special yeast is the catalyst for fermentation, gobbling sugar and creating alcohol as it works. Some say that the Belgian monks who first brewed this style called it triple to denoted its high alcohol content. Still others believe triple’s origins lay in its triple fermentation; twice in the brewery and once in the bottle. Whatever the answer, ours is the Tripel threat.

shadey (2174) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 5, 2005
Pour is a very active bright orange. The head is thin and soapy in appearance. The aroma is citrus and other fruit with a hint of alcohol. The taste and mouthfeel begin smooth and fruity but the finish was a little piney and alcoholy. Would have been really good if the finish had been a bit smoother.

BBB63 (6567) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JAN 23, 2005
bottle via DocLock: Golden hue with small head and little lace, some oily cling on the glassware. The aroma has notes of pear, currant, apple, toasted malt, aromatic hops, candi sugar, vinous (white wine) and moderate phenols. The taste starts with a sharp fruit nature on top of a heavy sweet sugary syrupy character. Big old biting bitterness on the finish. There seems to be a lack of depth however on the palate, never meets my expections for the style. The alcohol dominates the flavors too much. The feel is also just average. Maybe some aging would do this beer a world of good. Kudos for trying all those style however Southern Tier, keep it up!

MrBeer (276) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 5, 2005
Has a nice fruitful aroma to it, very pleasant. Also had a nice fruity taste to it that wasn’t too strong but was just right. I am really starting to like the Southern Tier brewings.

TheBeerGenius (154) - Pittsburgh, PA, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 3, 2005
This was my favorite of the Southern Tier beers I had. It had a light fruity taste that was not overwhelming. I liked that it wasn’t too heavy and it went down smooth.

Cornboy (424) - Eastampton, New Jersey, USA - NOV 12, 2004
I have to agree with DocLock, they are an up and coming brewer, but Belgian tripels are not their best. IPA and Porter were outstanding. This one poured golden, nice big full head. Belgian sweet malty aroma was promising, but the finish was a little off. I picked up a grapefruit rind taste that didnt compliment the rest of the beer. Might be because it was very fresh, I will rerate, much promise in this one.

DocLock (11236) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Another winner from Southern Tier. These guys are an up-and-coming brewer. Pours great deep dark straw with a medium, creamy, white head. Aroma of malt, light fruit, hops, chardonnay, slight barnyard. Tastes malty, hopcity, fruity, with some candi sugar and barnyardiness at the finish. Great complexity and balance. Not as dense and overpowering as some Belgian Tripels I’ve had...which is a good thing in my estimation. This one is excellent.

obxdude10 (2395) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 7, 2004
Very good tripel, dark gold color, minimal white head, very little lacing around the glass, sweet malty nose with a little note of lemon & grass, full in body, very sweet flavors, maybe a bit too bitter, slight alcohol notes in the body as well, pretty strong & very complex, very well done

alehead (17) - womelsdorf, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 7, 2004
This tastes pretty good.The only other tripel I’ve tried was golden monkey and thought that tasted a little too over the top for my taste. This tripel, on the other hand, I found to be much more subdued and pleasant. The 9 % is hidden better and this one has a overall better drinkability than the monkey IMO. Maybe I don’t care too much for this style, but I would drink THIS one again. Got this in a variety case along wih the harvest ale,(also known as phin and matts extraordinary ale, which is my favorite southern tier brew so far...very tasty pale ale!) porter, and IPA. This is one of my favorite variety cases and a pleasant surprise, considering I didn’t know these wonderfully tasty beers existed until a few days ago. Other favorites include TROEGS, VICTORY, NORTHCOAST, YARDS, DOGFISH HEAD, and I guess... BROOKLYN and STOUDTS and maybe even FLYING DOG variety packs. I have to buy full cases where I live cause we don’t have a specialty beer shop. So if you don’t either, then check out these variety cases. damn... this arrogant bastard is kicking my ass! later..and keep drinkin’

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 29, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2005 Re-rate 6/05 This new recipe is fookin great. Nose is vanilla, lemon, orange, yeast, grapes, toasty malt lingering in the earthy background. Golden body with a frothy head that takes off quickly. Tingly up front then a rich sweet malt hit. Odd for the style but wonderful. Plums, alcohol, strawberries, butterscotch/caramel. Tangy malty finish. Rich mouthhfeel. This stuff needs to be available in 6 packs. For some reason this makes me think of De Dolle. -- below is a rating of the 1st batch sampled @ Brews & Blues 2004--- Dark fruit, a surprising amount of hops in the nose, some yeast. Quite earthy and rich, plums and dark fruits, hops, a solid alcohol presence. Grows as it warms, showing vanilla and oak which mellow out the hops.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2004
Hazy golden color, thick andf firm white head. Fruity, estery, and yeasty. A decent dose of hops for a tripel but it blended well. Smooth and creamy, some alcohol cam e through but it was more of a warm and inviting alcohol warmth than an off putting type. Very good. I went back for thirds.