overall
RATINGS: 318   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Don’t let Tripel’s light color and delicate aroma fool you, this is one serious beer brewed with maximum effort. First, we introduce freshest barley to crystal filtered water. Second, we add the best hops shipped directly for Europe. Third, our special yeast is the catalyst for fermentation, gobbling sugar and creating alcohol as it works. Some say that the Belgian monks who first brewed this style called it triple to denoted its high alcohol content. Still others believe triple’s origins lay in its triple fermentation; twice in the brewery and once in the bottle. Whatever the answer, ours is the Tripel threat.

640oz (3) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - FEB 3, 2007 does not count
First, my rating is VERY subjective (there’s no other way to rate beer and still have fun). It doesn’t seem to be like all the other tripel’s I’ve tasted, more like a christmas ale. It’s a lot sweeter than what one might expect for the style, but I love it just the same. Lots of spice, kind of tastes like bubble gum, which might put some people off, if they’re not expecting it, but it’s still definitely worth trying.

rudolf (2360) - Buffalo, New York, USA - OCT 29, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 22, 2005 Re-rate 6/05 This new recipe is fookin great. Nose is vanilla, lemon, orange, yeast, grapes, toasty malt lingering in the earthy background. Golden body with a frothy head that takes off quickly. Tingly up front then a rich sweet malt hit. Odd for the style but wonderful. Plums, alcohol, strawberries, butterscotch/caramel. Tangy malty finish. Rich mouthhfeel. This stuff needs to be available in 6 packs. For some reason this makes me think of De Dolle. -- below is a rating of the 1st batch sampled @ Brews & Blues 2004--- Dark fruit, a surprising amount of hops in the nose, some yeast. Quite earthy and rich, plums and dark fruits, hops, a solid alcohol presence. Grows as it warms, showing vanilla and oak which mellow out the hops.

FROTHINGSLOSH (8362) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 5, 2005
UPDATED: SEP 1, 2008 Every time I try this beer I like it a little more. Sampled from a 12 oz brown bottle this beer pours a bronze color with a large tan head. The aroma is sweet and has a pineapple element. The flavor is sweet and fruity with elements of pineapple and grapefruit. The sweet fruity flavors linger on the tongue. Excellent!

patrickfannon (1242) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 28, 2010
Bottle. 24.5 oz. Pours a deep fuzzy Big Bird yellow with a fizzy white fluff head. Aroma of marshmallow, grapes, sour lemon zest, funk, bitter hops, Southern Tier malt, and Belgian candied sugars. Medium bodied with a full, thick, nearly overwhelmingly sticky mouthfeel. Solidly warm finish. Great tripel.

Cletus (6351) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 2, 2005
While at my favorite package store, I came across a 12 pack variety pack featuring this beer and 3 others for $10.99. I figured I’d give it a try as to my knowledge I’ve never had anything from this brewer before minus a quick sample after about 30 other samples at a beer fest. This is the first of the four I tried. Pours copper with a thin filmy head that accompanies the beer well in the form of light lacing. Smells of lemons, vanilla, cookie dough, caramel and sugar with some mild hints of grass. Tastes of cloves, toffee, straw and alochol. Slightly bitter on the finish. Excellent oily mouthfeel. I was pleasantly surprised with this one and will definitely seek out a few more of these.

coldbrewky (1731) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - NOV 21, 2007
UPDATED: NOV 22, 2007 Bottle: This may be one of the most apealing beers I have ever viewed in a glass. A clear and radiant amber with just a ring of head in the tulip. Nose is malts and candi sugar a bit waxy too. Solid carbonation but yet a minimal head. Maybe the glass had some residue left. First taste states a belgian style but again...you wouldnt know it from cellar temp. It does not hit you like most big brews do and is very drinkable. Bottle Note. I do enjoy the minimalist reserve on the labels of the 4 brewI hav etried from them... a similar motifof bubbles and wheat in separate clors. all bottles lack any commercial description or any pretentios scribblings. That sort of thing seems to be getting overdone in a frenzy of sales techniques. Anywho a very enjoyable interpretation of a belgian style. I agree with the slob...triple light

Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAY 19, 2008
I rather enjoyed this. Medium gold, slight haze, good lasting head. Aroma was fruity, oranges with a bit of a floral note. Flavor was lightly of gummy pale malts, with a nice citric finish, with a hint of spice and floral notes. Balanced, not cloyingly sweet. One of the better tripels I’ve had in a while. You could accuse it of being a pimped out wit minus the wheat, but this was a nice beer. Surprised by the low ratings here.

fiulijn (21528) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 8, 2009
Bottle 2007, 2 years old
Beautiful copper-amber color; small head. Sweet malt and delicate fruity aroma; maybe spices, but very light. Good body structure, it has a round malt flavor, caramel, light toffee and light nutty touch; a pleasant residual sweetness and correct bitterness; it provides a light fruity impression, with bitter oranges and something more mellow; in the end the combination of elements reminds me some sweet liquorice.
Even if not close to a Belgian Tripel, it’s surely a pleasant, balanced, interesting and well brewed Belgian Strong Ale, the sweetness and fruity touch being the best of it.

IPFreely (1470) - Sanborn, New York, USA - OCT 28, 2004
Hazy golden color, thick andf firm white head. Fruity, estery, and yeasty. A decent dose of hops for a tripel but it blended well. Smooth and creamy, some alcohol cam e through but it was more of a warm and inviting alcohol warmth than an off putting type. Very good. I went back for thirds.

DocLock (11236) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 9, 2004
Another winner from Southern Tier. These guys are an up-and-coming brewer. Pours great deep dark straw with a medium, creamy, white head. Aroma of malt, light fruit, hops, chardonnay, slight barnyard. Tastes malty, hopcity, fruity, with some candi sugar and barnyardiness at the finish. Great complexity and balance. Not as dense and overpowering as some Belgian Tripels I’ve had...which is a good thing in my estimation. This one is excellent.