overall
Brewed by Spaten-Franziskaner-Bräu (InBev)
Style: Doppelbock
Munich, Germany

RATINGS: 1907   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   EST. CALORIES: 228   ABV: 7.6%
The classic German dark beer, bottom fermented ’Doppel Bock’. Full bodied with a deep dark color and rich roasted malt flavor.

Supposedly only available in USA, at least not in Germany.

Reid (2626) - Salem, Oregon, USA - NOV 23, 2003
This beer is like an old friend..its been a while.. The beer looks fantastic poured into my mug..great frothy off white head atop a dark red /brown beer..very impressive. As would be expected the malt is very evident in the aroma..also slight coffee and chocolate accents ..very inviting. MM i like the taste of this beer..its slightly sweeter than many doppelbocks..but I believe it to be well balanced by the astringent after taste..and the dark chocolate flavour.Not the greatest but one of the best in my opinion. Feels pretty comfortable on the tongue not too carbonated at all..smooth. Overall a very very drinkable doppelbock..I have had better tasting Doppels but none as drinkable as this . NOTES..This was my very first doppelbock..way back in 2001..LOL seems like a life time ago..my first real taste of German beer other than bloody Becks. It has fond memories for me..I first tasted it on a camping trip to the Oregon High Desert..me and the wife went to get over a terrible tragedy in our lives..I drank this out of the bottle ( 8 of them) It helped me forget for a while..like I said It's and old friend..

elnadeau (786) - Laguna Niguel, California, USA - NOV 21, 2003
I had been passing on this just by appearances - the green bottle being part of what turned me off. So I finally picked up one and I was very pleasantly surprised; now I would go back for the sixer. A very decent doppleback, big brown sugar malt profile, enough bitter to balance and provide a satisfying finish. My wife even liked it.

wulfhere (218) - Billings, Montana, USA - NOV 21, 2003
How can you not love the Optimator? Other than Salvator, it's the shit when it comes to German Doppelbocks. Malt forward with milt hopiness to add depth and balance. Bread in the glass! Candy sugar brown with hints of clove, molasses, lots of carmel,and body that makes you think you're drinking a velvet painting of Elvis.

ZepolK (102) - South Side Montebello, California, USA - NOV 15, 2003
I was very surprised by this one. Poured out very rich dark brown with a medium tan head. Very spicy hop aroma with hints of smoke. Flavor was rich and Smokey with mild hints of coffee, but only mild with slight tracings of caramel. Smooth and balanced with creamy essences across the palate. I really enjoyed this beer! Not too rich, not thin! I will definitely be drinking more of this one, and if you like dopplebocks then so should you.

ukoolaid (580) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 14, 2003
Not so impressive head, but a nice dark brown color. Smooth and malty but not quite what I was looking for out of a dopplebock. Still, that being said, it was a good beer.

Kingfish (5) - Washington, USA - NOV 14, 2003 does not count
Aroma: Rich crystal-choco malty tones with pleasing alcohol sweetness. No hop aroma perceived. On warming, there is plum, black current, then turning towards dried fruit, & I think I just want to crawl inside the glass! Appearance: Very dark brown with ruby highlights & clear as one can tell. Low tan head that persists & is creamy. The carbonation is very fine & well-done. Yum is an understatement! Flavor: Rich semi-sweet choco-malty with hints of tobacco hop flavor. Residual crystal-like sweetness approaching cloying but steering clear at the finish. Definite alcohol warming. A very faint acidic-fruity sherry character denoting of oxidation: I am impressed that this should be so well preserved from Safeway (well – I did grab from the very back of the shelf). Bittering is enough to support the malt for the style & is not obvious. On warming, the malt flavor slides more towards a light blend of molasses & not overtly heavy; even later this matures to raisin with a hint of diacetyl which I am willing to accept. Mouthfeel is generously full & round with a nice creamy texture, moderate carbonation, & a hint of grain astringency that in my perception complements the delicate balance & supportive of the dominate malt signature. Overall, this is another of my favorite styles & it is well represented in Spaten as oppose to Paulaner which has thinned over the recent years. Truly a meal into itself, but I shall save some to have with my dinner…maybe :o) Outstanding!

Libeerian (209) - Garner, North Carolina, USA - NOV 13, 2003
This brown doppelbock has a short-lived head, smooth malty sweet flavor and a malty, somewhat dry finish.

spatenLA (4) - California, USA - NOV 11, 2003 does not count
One of my overall favorites for Doppelbocks. Smooth and creamy with a hint of something sweet that conceals the higher alcohol content. Wonderful brew for sitting by the fireplace and staring out at the snow as it warms from within. Spaten did well with this one.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - NOV 11, 2003
Wonderful deep brown with a frothy cream head with some lacing. Deep nutty caramel smell. Tasted quite light, a little sourness in the flavor but quite smooth and inoffensive. As it warms it becomes a little more nutty and hoppy. Nice beer for Spaten. I enjoyed this one a lot.

auto (163) - California, USA - NOV 8, 2003
coca-cola like colour and a slight alchoholy taste.. head disappeared fairly fast. i was expecting a bit more from this, it was a tad on the bland side.