overall
RATINGS: 716   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Doubling down on malt & hops, DOUBLE DADDY raises the stakes. With it’s good looks & No-Limit style,DD takes the pot every time.

TBone (17530) - Pori, FINLAND - JUL 2, 2006
Bottled. Dark honey brown, good creamy head. Bready-malty, hoppy aroma. Bready malty and very hoppy flavor, of course, but not hoppy to extreme. This hides its ABV quite well. Quite balanced and even enjoyable double IPA.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 29, 2006
thanks to zeswaft for sharing. had this at somewhat of a ’tasting’ of ipa’s. this one i recall as mighty alcoholic all around. the hops seemed pretty muted in flavor, and it was a bit difficult to pick up the aroma.

Zeswaft (1773) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 28, 2006
Whoa, this was kind of disappointing. Very little aroma and lots of alcohol in the flavor. Some citrus hops but more than necessary alcohol. their regular IPA is better. pass on this.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Bottle thanks to tever: Clear copper color with a small white head. Aroma had some pale/carmel malts, floral and citrus hop notes. I thought I noticed a little oxidation though. Not sure how old the bottle was. Flavor, quite sweet for an IIPA, some subdued hops, a little lingering bitterness, but nothing special.

jason (1834) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 26, 2006
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2016 2005 Bottle.Great smell. Very pleasant with lot?s of hops sensation. A good crisp taste that is very californian(not that it?s bad but meaning this is their style.). Leaves a good taste on the mouth. Can not taste the 9.5 %, in fact if I wouldn?t have known I would have thought that this was just a typical IPA.

bindpmc (88) - San Diego, California, USA - JUN 24, 2006
No head, little lacing. Molasses nose rife with dried fruit. Malt flavor would be downright cocoa/mocha if it weren’t for the hop bitterness that mellows it out. There is some kind of burnt flavor in there too. Nose is grassy but less malty than the flavor reflects. Crystal clear copper liquid in the glass as far as appearance goes. Not much in the way of bubbles. Finish is dried fruit and a little astringent from the hops I guess. A very malty IIPA. As a resident of SoCal, this is very different from SoCal IIPAs that I am used to. More like an East Coast interpretation of a San Diego IIPA. Not that SD has the market cornered or anything, but this is not what I usually expect from a CA born-and-bred IIPA.

Bartzilla (622) - La Mesa, California, USA - JUN 24, 2006
Who’s your daddy? Double Daddy, that’s who. And don’t cross him or you’ll be stumbling around like you got smacked upside the head with a mummified deer leg. Thick, rich, hop explosion with a shivering malt backbone. This is the kind of beer that I could drink all night... at least until I shot off my mouth and some dude puts me down for the count. Which is likely to happen if I had the opportunity to drink this all night. I’m almost glad I don’t have that chance. Well, at that price and it’s limited appearances down here in San Diego, I think I’m safe. For now.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUN 22, 2006
12oz. bottle thanks to Tever. Clear amber/orange color with a good sized dense head that left nice lacing. Pine and citrus hop aroma with some caramel sweetness. Reading other reviews, many people seem to think the alcohol is well hidden. The first thing I noticed when I took a sip was the alcohol, not that it is a bad thing. Mildly sweet caramel malt flavor along with a bitter hop finish. A bit astringent.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - JUN 20, 2006
12oz - thanks zug4abby - Aroma of sweet chewy hops with carmel malt backing it up. Pours transparent brown/orange with a small head and great lacing. Flavor is sweet and hoppy. Interestingly balanced for 9.5% and that alcohol is hidden very well. Palate is clean and tart. Easy drinking (aka dangerous) high ABV brew and very tasty.

oh6gdx (26488) - Vasa, FINLAND - JUN 19, 2006
Bottled. While waiting for the bus I ran back a while to Oliver Twist. Orange, hazy colour with small white head. Aroma is strongly hopped, and slightly acidic. Flavour is hopped (acidic) and also the alcohol shows, but balances the bitterness up a bit. Decent Imperial IPA.