overall
RATINGS: 309   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.43/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%

505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - JUL 8, 2006
Nice aroma, sweet, and pretty hoppy. Amber pour. Nice flavor, caramel, hops, licorice. Pretty full boddy. I liked the beer pretty well, but it was my third of the night, so taste buds were starting to disappear. PRetty nice stuff though.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 27, 2006
Bottle thanks the tever: Slightly hazy, red/brown pour. Very thin white head. Aroma, musty, sweetness some caramel. Flavor, not much to speak of, some sweet malts. It’s kinda flat and thin. Really not much to say.

Andrew196 (1902) - Katy, Texas, USA - JUN 27, 2006
I was disappointed in this one. I expected it to be pretty hoppy given where it was brewed, but they went overboard. I almost forgot that I was drinking a b-wine a couple times during this session. It was thin, boring, and the hoppy punch overshawdowed the malts or fruitiness that you would find readily available in say.....a Foghorn. I can say though that this thing carried the 10.2% very well. I’ll pass...

Gorbalev (3000) - Ontario, CANADA - JUN 26, 2006
Man, I’ve been looking forward to trying this one, I like Speakeasy and this is pretty elusive. Big thanks to Blankboy for sharing (sampled with him and Hogtown Harry). Golden copper, neat copper like slick head. Boozy, malt aroma. Sweet boozy taste - thin mouthfeel. Hops kick in nicely at the end. Lots of burnt sugar. Man, this is potent stuff, I taste every bit of the 10% alcohol. Simple, and a little thin, but enjoyable.

blankboy (7689) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JUN 24, 2006
Bottle shared with HogTownHarry & tupalev -- courtesy of DarkElf. Pours a clear copper with a spare diminishing off-white head. Mild aroma of citrus hops, fruit and caramel malt -- quite sweet and boozy. Flavour’s somewhat one-dimensional, it’s sweet and boozy with some burnt elements to it and has a harsh finish. Medium bodied. It’s O.K. but I was dissapointed, I expected much better.

HogTownHarry (6872) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - JUN 20, 2006
Bottle (12oz). Shared with blankboy and tupalev, blankboy’s bottle - "kiss the ring 001". Clear deep copper with a small tan creamy head. Mild boozy / sweet citrus aroma, a bit boozy, hints of wood and cream - more like an ASA. Taste is very bitter, almost like burnt hops and booze, pretty much obscures the malt. Burnt and a bit watery, acidic mouthfeel, boozy with a long almost harsh finish; not crazy about it, too bad.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Poured a clear dark golden orange with a thin off-white head. Citrusy hop foward aroma with light pine notes. Caramel and fruit also show themselves. Light alcohol in the nose. The flavor was malty and fruity with a fair amount of piney hop. Medium body.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUN 15, 2006
12oz. bottle 2006 thanks to Tever. Clear copper color with a small off white head. Tempting caramel malt aroma with some citrus hops and tropical fruits. Flavor was much more on the hoppy side. Drier than expected and the alcohol really kicks in at the end. A bit of a metallic aftertaste takes a lot away from the beer. The aroma gave me high hopes but the flavor let me down a bit.

AlabastorJones (814) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 6, 2006
super hoppy nose, amber/ruby body with a thin white head, alcoohol is well masked, all around just a super hopped barley wine which is just super in my book

BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - MAY 31, 2006
Bottle: Tawny amber color, light head and lacing. Nose of light vegetal hops and caramel malts. The flavor isn’t very bitter. Light sweet musky malts and grassy notes. The flavor also lacking any hop and malt character. Not bad, oh wait, no, it is. Just kidding, but not really. Nothing really going here.