overall
RATINGS: 779   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Prohibition Ale is a boldly hopped amber ale that strikes a perfect balance between caramel maltiness and its aggressive hopping.

Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 17, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 27, 2003 Much too many peoples surprise I’m a very sentimental person, memories mean a lot to me, and some of the best days of my life were spent in San Francisco, that beautiful city by the bay. A city filled with beautiful old buildings, the Golden Gate Bridge, the Wharf, and it’s also home to some exquisite beers, and one I love, but rarely sample is “Prohibition Ale”, sad to say my quest for the “Ultimate beer” has caused me to shun many of my past triumphs.

Hazy and beclouded deep amber color on the pour, the head portly in size, spumescent in texture, winsome light tan in color with a velum like curtain of lace to seal off the glass from view. The aroma of hops, followed by sweet malt with a lemon like crispness, fresh and appealing with the start heavenly sweet with a nice malt profile and the top moderate in its feel to the palate. Finish is sternly acidic, the hops dynamic in their spiciness, hop bitter and dry aftertaste, a wonderful beer, that I must say “WOW’s” me still.

Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUN 12, 2002
Dark red appearance, very lively brew, with a slight hop aroma. Full, crisp palate, which was very refreshing for the temp. It seemed like a lightly hopped IPA with a great red color to me, rather than an amber. Great beer, I would love to have it again.

beerguy101 (5360) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Dark red color, medium head. Richly hopped amber ale. Nice roasted malts, slightly sweet. Nice balance to hop bitterness. Finish is crisp. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. Etched beer bottle.

mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - MAR 11, 2003
(8Mar2003--draft) Now this is what an ale is supposed to be! Almost as good as Arrogant Bastard, but less arrogant. Deep, inviting amber color, nice lacy head. Cascades mingle with fruity esters in the nose, though both in perfect amounts. Wonderful malt spectrum, very akin to Deschutes Jubelale in terms of its excellent use of specialty malts. Easily a top-10 beer for me.

JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - MAY 9, 2003
Beautiful amber hue, flowery aroma. Caramel malt flavor with a sharp, hoppy flavor and a long bitter finish. Better as it warms, very tasty.

Flipbrewer (33) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 19, 2003
Man, the hop aroma hits you the moment you pop open the bottle! Poured with a light beige head that dissipated into a thin layer after a few minutes; some lacing. Nice clear deep gold-amber color. Spicy-citrusy hop aroma dominates with malt and caramel underneath. Bold hop flavor start to finish; malt sweetness appears soon after the start and dries out towards the finish. Slightly rough hop bitterness and vegetal character linger in the aftertaste. Medium bodied with creaminess from the gentle carbonation. At cooler temps the hop character is quite assertive and tends to dominate the malt character. Drink at 55F for a nicer balance.

dwyerpg (6287) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - AUG 11, 2006
Hops throughout the aroma. No head. The haps are in this so much to the point that it makes you think of an APA more than an amber. And I’m not complaining. A little caramel in the finish.

beerguy80 (2) - - JAN 10, 2014 does not count
I really like this beer. I go back with these guys since the days when they owned the beer making shop on Clement in the Richmond (SF) and I am super happy to see how successful they have become. There are a lot of heavily hopped West Coast ales on the market but this one has a great balance, a nice, soft amber malty-ness, and a strong but not overwhelming punch to it. One of my favorite beers.

jamestulloch (4214) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - DEC 28, 2015
Bottle from Fyne Ales’ brewery tap. Clear amber body with a medium beige head. Lively carbonation. Good lacing. Aroma of coffee, caramel, orange and stewed apple. Flavour of toffee, coffee and red fruits. Medium body with an oily texture. Light fizz. I really enjoyed this. It reminded me of Coronado’s Mermaid’s Red Ale, but with added bitterness and drinkability.

tsd08460 (1208) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - JAN 25, 2016
Aroma: caramel, floral, citrus, Appearance: clear amber with a beige head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate: medium body, sticky, average carbonation, long finish, Tasty