overall
RATINGS: 779   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52/5   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%
Prohibition Ale is a boldly hopped amber ale that strikes a perfect balance between caramel maltiness and its aggressive hopping.

Oscbert (1318) - Lincoln, California, USA - JUL 27, 2012
~Aroma of woody, spicy, earthy hops with sweet candy caramel malts ~Dark brownish red color with big creamy fluffy off white head ~Sweet malty caramel, chocolate flavor with woody, earthy, spicy hop flavor. ~Medium body med CO2, clean spicy hop finish. ~Well balanced amber. Love the choice of hops. Great brew

beerguy80 (2) - - JAN 10, 2014 does not count
I really like this beer. I go back with these guys since the days when they owned the beer making shop on Clement in the Richmond (SF) and I am super happy to see how successful they have become. There are a lot of heavily hopped West Coast ales on the market but this one has a great balance, a nice, soft amber malty-ness, and a strong but not overwhelming punch to it. One of my favorite beers.

jamestulloch (4211) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - DEC 28, 2015
Bottle from Fyne Ales’ brewery tap. Clear amber body with a medium beige head. Lively carbonation. Good lacing. Aroma of coffee, caramel, orange and stewed apple. Flavour of toffee, coffee and red fruits. Medium body with an oily texture. Light fizz. I really enjoyed this. It reminded me of Coronado’s Mermaid’s Red Ale, but with added bitterness and drinkability.

tsd08460 (1208) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - JAN 25, 2016
Aroma: caramel, floral, citrus, Appearance: clear amber with a beige head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate: medium body, sticky, average carbonation, long finish, Tasty

Gromit (479) - Port Orchard, Washington, USA - JAN 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 4, 2004 Found some new ones at the store today. Very cool line by this brewery. Nice bottles that are painted, not just stuck with labels. I *think* there's a date stamp of "003," but I'm not sure. I can't think of what else that number would reference. And personally, if they're only going to put part of a date on a bottle I'm *far* more interested in the year than the month. Pours a dark amber with a beautiful head and a great lace. Smells amazingly hoppy. At first sniff I thought it was an IPA.The bottle claims the beer "...is a boldly hopped amber ale that strikes a perfect balance between caramel maltiness and its aggressibe hoppings." Amber my butt lips, this is a Pale Ale in the tradition of Sierra Nevada. Tastes wonderfully hoppy but not really bitter. There's something else there that is interestingly intriguing, but I really can't put my finger on it. It also seems to be missing something. Mouthfeel takes a bit of a dive because of what it's missing. It almost tastes watered-down but it's not. Plenty of carbonation. It's just...well, missing something. Granted, I'm comparing it to SN, but there's just something about this that's keeping the mouthfeel weak. Drinkability is great. I could easily drink these all night long. This is a really good beer that I recommend. It's a lot like Seirra Nevada Pale Ale but different; a bit more hoppy but good in its own right.

dkazuk (248) - winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - OCT 11, 2007
355ml bottle. Pours a hazy bubbly brown. Medium coffee-stain head. Very nice shelved lacing. Aroma is fruity citrus and nice hops. Similar flavour with a blend of balanced sweetness. Med-full bodied, lightly carbonated feel. Long lasting bitter finish. A good ale.

VertBaconStrips (2391) - Blerkablerka, VENEZUELA - JUN 17, 2009
Thanks, B...this stuff is the shit! Nice orange beer...I’m not going to say that this is hazy since there seems to be an endless ammount of suspended sediment. The head created was on the small side but has very good retention albiet only just above a skim. Some of slippery lacing. The aroma is very complex and very fragrant with lots of floral hops, a somewhat sweet rich slilght roast malt content, lots of hops (how fuzzy peach candies would taste is they looked ’darker’...I tried to exlpain this to 2 people and they didn’t get it but I do so tough titties for you) and a slight spice. Flavour...yes...there is flavour...a crazy ammount. Man, this is a great tasting beer (for me, arguably a 10). Large malt content (sweet, thick biscuit), an odd hop blend that was something that I could not quite figure out but it was very cool - floral, candy and orange (seperate), foam (yes, something tasted foamy)..did I say nice malts already? I’ve also noticed a slight earthy quality here and there (very faint). A very smooth and creamy beer, medium bodied, great middle to end malts with a nice muted, shortlived bitterness. Excellent beer!

popkow (308) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - JUL 5, 2010
Nice amber color with a small tan head. Hops aroma but does not overwhelm. Hops are balance with a very mellow malt that has a nice sweet taste of sugar. The body is medium the texture thin and a slightly bitter finish. Enjoyed this beer because of the malt.

strongpieman (1651) - Mount Airy, Maryland, USA - AUG 6, 2011
Bottle. Resist amber color, a little cloudy, full tan head. Smooth and satisfying. Light caramel aroma, medium full body. Very good amber.

Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 26, 2011
Serving: 12 oz. bottle from Total Wine Sterling. It pours a slightly hazy deep amber color with a dense meringue like off white head. The nose has notes of cocoa powder, slight pine hops, and some caramel. The flavor carries straight from the nose. What you smell is what you get. A good bit of chewy malt mixed with a nice hoppy bitterness. Wow, what a surprising brew! Medium bodied with softer carbonation and a medium to long malty then bitter finish. This is a great amber ale.