overall
RATINGS: 155   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 270   ABV: 9%
Imperial Stout has been complemented by a generous bourbon flavor after aging five extra weeks in white oak bourbon barrels. Already saturated with dark roasted malt flavor, bourbon and oak highlights perfect the balance in this enormously rich ale.

HappyHandsClub (32) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - MAR 26, 2015
UPDATED: AUG 8, 2015 My bad . . . Barrel aged for 2 years (not available again until autumn 2016), I have aged cases on my basement canning room floor for over 5 months & this brew is blossoming into the finest barrel aged imperial stout I have ever had the pleasure to drink. Came in 12oz-4 packs, not bombers. This Czar Brew is the best TWO YEAR barrel aged beer I’ve ever experienced. Couldn’t be more balanced with mega-punch alcohol content well beyond label designation. No obnoxious bittersweet chocolate, just full bodied bliss. The 11.9% ABV is understated. Must be up to 15% alcohol by now. 2-12oz bottles & I’m not leaving the house. Makes Goose Island Bourbon barrel stout seem amateurish by comparison. I hope the cases of Sprecher 2 year barrel aged old Scottish ale Commando age as well. 3/26/2015 My mistake . . . the 1st bottle of this brew I drank cold & all I could taste was chocolate. The 2nd bottle was at 58 degrees & I could stomach it. But in comparison to Sprecher’s Commando Scottish barrel aged ale, it’s substantially inferior in fulfillment. I like my Russian Imperial Stout heavy weight, thick, one bomber suffices. Although Czar Brew is an improvement on the vast majority of ’less than thick’ stouts, even the non-barrel aged standard Straight To Ale Laika has an unrivaled thickness & uncompromising quality ingredients that barrel aged Czar Brew can’t come close to replicating. Just use Laika as your reference & just about every barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout inevitably is a disappointment. 8/8/2015 Although TWO YEAR barrel aged, I’ve rested cases on my basement canning room floor at 58 degree for about six months. Czar Brew has matured into the best Russian Imperial Stout I’ve ever experienced. Talk about balance, smoothness and intense punch all wrapped up in a 12oz bottle. Too bad the next batch won’t be available again until autumn 2016. I will have to be very careful not to run out of my cases stock aging magnificently just like my stock of Sprecher TWO YEAR barrel aged Commando Old Scottish Ale.

mmcdowell3 (13) - USA - OCT 15, 2007
finally a bourbon barrel that’s not all bourbon smell and taste. respectable tan color lace head, hints of espresso and chocolate malt flavor at its finish. very smooth and flavorful. Nice bottle as well.

spatenfan (86) - Wisconsin, USA - OCT 8, 2014
Poured from a 22oz bomber. This is one of my favorite RIS’s. Very well balanced and not acidic or cloying. I get hints of vanilla, whiskey, and chocolate.

BDR (2535) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - JUN 9, 2007
Thanks to Joebrew for sharing this gem. 1 liter flip top bottle, just like their other bourbon barrel releases. Excellent dark brown body almost black. Faint brown head. Excellent bourbon and roasted malt nose. Similar body with hints of chocolate.

katrinaez (2242) - norristown, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 21, 2015
Nice deep rich black and coats the tongue, but isn’t thick. Heavy scent that lingers. A nice bourbon flavor but not bitter or harsh. The oak is even and lends to the idea of a stinky cheese pairing. Tap

onceblind (10549) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 2, 2016
Inky black pour under a thin tan head. Lovely woody and dark malty nose with cocoa and whiskey and dark chocolate. Smooth but richly sweet and boozy flavor that’s roasty and full of dark chocolate, caramelly oak, whiskey/bourbon, light wood char, light vanilla and caramel, and a black malty linger. Delightful.

jimbowood (1036) - Freeport, Georgia, USA - SEP 15, 2007
Bottle courtesy of kingpinIPA. Beautiful pour w/ a dark tan head. Bourbon, oak, and chocolate nose. Mouthfeel is a little watered-down. A little bit heavier mouthfeel and this is near perfect. Nice balance of vanilla, coconut, bourbon, oak, and chocolate flavors. Very good.

zoucrew102 (2104) - - JUN 13, 2017
Bomber, 2015 vintage? Rich bourbon aroma with notes of vanilla, roasted malt, dark chocolate, caramel and oak. Pours dark brown with a thin light brown head that has little retention and good lacing. Starts with rich roasted malt, dark chocolate and caramel flavors with a nice, full body and slick, viscous mouthfeel. Finishes very smooth with bourbon, vanilla and oak flavors and just a hint of booze and sweet dark fruit at the very end. Very nice BA Russian imperial.

Skyview (6099) - Papoose Jct, Minnesota, USA - JUN 12, 2007
Thanks goes to Joebrew for sharing this bourbon aged brew. Label even reads "Czar Brew" Pours a near opqaue dark amber brown brew with little head if any. Aroma is complex, lots of dark pitted fruit, sweet toasted chocolate malt, coffee, and some cabernet red wine. Taste is thick and chewy with a very sweet tongue feel. The finish is where I detect more of the bourbon flavor and then a light chocolate aftertate.

aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - SEP 3, 2007
A gift shared with Stretchmonster Black cola in color with a active beige head. Smells like hot choclate and bourbon tasted like chocolate chip cookies. Bourbon warming sensation and finish. Spicier nose at room temperature. Is the 2006 smoother?