overall
RATINGS: 262   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 235   ABV: 7.85%
This strong, dark lager was originally brewed as a liquid bread to sustain Bavarian monks while fasting. Its complex malt character comes from brewing with many varieties of dark roasted caramel malt and long periods of cold storage.

jebert (500) - Watertown, Wisconsin, USA - APR 9, 2006
This seasonal beer poured a beautiful tawny red with a tan head. Its initial aroma was sweet and malty. Very crisp on the palate, full bodied and fully carbonated. Very clean aftertaste.You want this beer to linger in your mouth. If, as the commercial description states, this beer were still used to sustain monks during the Lenten season, I daresay there would be no current shortage of priests. Heavenly.

yooper4299 (6) - Up North, Michigan, USA - OCT 28, 2001 does not count
This was my first experience with a Doppelbock. I was instantly hooked!....

StewardofGondor (2088) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 29, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2005 2005 bottle, consumer December 2005
Still pretty damn delicious and sweet, but you can taste some alcohol this time around. I see no need to adjust any rating points outside of bumping aroma up by one. Someday I’ll give this one more attention, now that my rating skills are more fine-tuned from my earlier rating days (as you’ll be able to note below.)

Tap at Sprecher, December 2004.
Yes! With its beer line, it seems that Sprecher either hits it right on the mark or is way off. Their dopple bock is right on the money. Smells of yeast, malt and dark chocolate. In the mouth, it’s full-bodied and rich, and softly sweetened with caramel. Great tiny-bite in the aftertaste. This is good.

jde123 (775) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - DEC 31, 2005
Wow, I really really enjoyed this beer! I received it from a friend as a present for Christmas and couldn’t have been more pleased. Not as malty as many other lesser dopplebocks on the market with a flavor to rival the best in the world. I really love the bottle sizes from Sprecher, too. One can really appreciate a beer when give the full pint. One of the best out there, in my opinion.

ecbeerguy (86) - East Chicago, Indiana, USA - APR 1, 2006
What can I say!?!? The aroma didn’t bowl me over, and the head was okay, but the color was great. Smooth, smooth, smooth!!! The carbonation is just right, with plenty of flavor. Carmel, chocolate, roasted malt, raisin....wow!! This is just fantastic beer!!!

doublebock (558) - California, USA - APR 14, 2007
UPDATED: JUN 18, 2008 Smells like a chocolate bar. Deep auburn color. minor layer of foam. Notes of red wine and oak. Carbonation is persistent. Closes with a subtle hopiness.

bonbright7 (182) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - APR 29, 2007
This brown to black beer with a slight head appeared to be a majestic treasure in my 50cl glass. The first taste of the chocolate malts and the sweet caramel made a great after dinner impression on me with elements of hops in the background.

jstraw (1967) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 10, 2007
Dark, almost black with creamy head / Sharp, winey nose of toffee, chocolate, and raisins / Full bodied, almost chewy, with coffee, toffee, coca cola, and raisin flavors / Rich wine and roast coffee finish.