overall
Brewed by McAuslan Brewing (Brasseurs RJ)
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1519   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout consistently beats out international stouts in blind tastings and competitions. This intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. The oatmeal contributes body and ensures a long-lasting mocha-coloured head. If you like stout, you will love St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - FEB 18, 2005
This is a great Stout very drinkable and not overbearing. Chocolate mocha, coffee, and toasted flavors. Finishes clean, smooth, and rich. Thanks Phil.

Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2005
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2006 Yum. Black with a thin brown head, this has roasted coffee, chocolate, and some floral hops in aroma. Pretty darn smooth, this tastes like rich coffee flavored with bitter chocolate. Good dry finish.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Liquors, Calumet City, IL<font size=-1>

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - FEB 9, 2005
Pour jetblack with nice milk chocolate head...smell is heavily dark coffee with light notes of cocoa...something perfume-like too...taste is rich coffee and notes of cocoa throughout...a little fizzy, and somehow I think this is over-rated...delicious, just not astoundingly so...I would drink this everyday if it was available though...tiggmtl big ass thanks!!

steview (1037) - Petaluma, California, USA - FEB 7, 2005
english pint / awesome, huge, cascading brown head that eventually only just sits upon itself as a rocky, frothy, mess... lots of lace, lots of head. black inactive body, but probably because it’s thick, and darker than midnight. good, cremey palate. chocolate, roasty espresso... oatmeal (i would never guessed oatmeal) stout with character. excellent. seriously, why guinness? do you like sour milk? this is neither sour, nor--at least--completely milky.

Jan Primus (160) - Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 30, 2005
Pours almost pitch black with a generous dark tan head. Mild aroma of strong coffee and maybe a bit of cookie. Medium body and all I can really taste is coffee/expresso and dark btter chocolate. The flavours are perfectly balanced and there is a slightly oily testure. Carbonatiion is just right for me. Nicely biter aftertaste. One of the few great beers readily available here in Ontario, I’ll be buying this one regularly.

Brian (145) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 29, 2005
Black and thick, with a head that sticks to the glass. Burnt coffee aroma and a strong, chocolate flavor that lingers for ages on the tongue and throat. Brilliant.

Murphy (1759) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 27, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2005 Pours dark and thick, with a nice dark brown head. Aroma is 100% chocolate malt. Medium bodied, could be maltier. Taste starts with coffee and chocolate, then moves into a nice pure chocolate malt taste with strong bittering through the finish. Leaves the mouth roasty. Suprisingly low alcohol for a taste this big.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - JAN 23, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Black as the largest depth of the ocean with a huge, creamy, mocha colored head that redefines long lasting and lacing. Intensely roasty malt accented nose that especially emphasizes the use of an extreme amount of black malt, which gives strong hints of coffee, expresso and chocolate. The powerful malt flavor is piercing and big, especially with its black malt (unsweetened coffee) flavor, chocolate, expresso and its cunning bitterness.

arjoseph (642) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 20, 2005
GABF 2004, in somebody’s hotel room. I was looking forward to this beer. I was so psyched that someone brought it. I poured it. It looked as good as expected, tight tan head over black but not inky beer. I tasted it. I became disappointed. Perhaps I should reevaluate my liking for the genre of oatmeal stout, if this is the best they get. The armoa was underwhelming, but I could already sense the funky graininess to come. Yes, I know oats are involved, but they totally masked the stout roastiness that I was expecting. This was like an oatmeal porter, but with burnt oatmeal. Once I got past the bad parts, the taste rounded into some subtle dark fruit, which I’m sure I would have liked as one component among many enjoyable components. The finish was nice and long, but since the oat funkiness reemerged, I wished it wouldn’t have been. In my opinion, overrated. I feel cheated.

Commodore (112) - Ontario, CANADA - JAN 18, 2005
Very dark ale, decent yet short-lived head. Pleasing scent of ripe fruit. Taste has a tad too coffee-ish for my liking, but still very drinkable and a nice warmer. 341ml bottle at the Alex.