overall
Brewed by McAuslan Brewing (Brasseurs RJ)
Style: Stout
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 1454   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.92/5   IBU: 45   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout consistently beats out international stouts in blind tastings and competitions. This intensely black ale carries strong hints of espresso and chocolate. The oatmeal contributes body and ensures a long-lasting mocha-coloured head. If you like stout, you will love St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout.

VDuquerroux (1821) - Airvault, Haut-Poitou, FRANCE - MAR 8, 2017
Bottle, 33cL. Home. A pitch black beer with a medium coffee beige foamy head ; good retention ; ok lacing. Roast, cereal, black chocolate, light herb and some unpleasant notes I don’t recognize (soy sauce?). Light to medium sweet, round, medium dry bitter ; quite refreshing. Good body, oily texture, soft carbonation, chocolate dry lasting finish. Overall, very good !

Kauge (2064) - Tallinn, ESTONIA - FEB 25, 2017
Tap sample at beerbistro. Black with very persistent yellow to beige head. Sweet aroma, like some chocolaty delight with vanilla and cinnamon; same goes for the flavour. A rather strong roasty character once you get past the sweetness. Very fine and rather inactive carbonation, dry roasty palate. Light to medium body. Soft. Slightly boozy even... like, really? A surprising brew. I’m kinda parted. Not sure it’s up to the hype... No 9 of all Stouts and in the 100 percentile and all... BTW I only managed to have this on my 3rd stint in Canada despite the many tries... so I’m especially disappointed... Will definitely try and grab a bottle when I see one. I’d gladly up my score.

caribou43 (1154) - Lausanne/Sevilla/Lima, SWITZERLAND - FEB 24, 2017
I bought this beer at amstein. I drank it at home with my wife in Lausanne. In my opinion, it is a regular oatmeal stout, easy to drink and refreshing for the style. The carbonation is regular for the style, nice black body color, brown foam, malt, wheat giving a side of sweetness, a bit salt like soja sauce, hop, a bit watery, dry at the final good relation with the price and quality.

eRock_2013 (501) - South Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2017
Finally got to try this reputable Canadian stout at the Columbia World Beer Festival 2017. Poured an elegant solid black color with a khaki head, unleashed a quite unique aroma of tart, sweet milk chocolate with some roasty notes. Flavor is a fresh coffee roast with a more subtle chocolate accent, along with what struck my palate as some licorice. Relatively light mouthfeel for a stout, but with the signature silkiness of the oatmeal. Finished with a bitter coffee bean aftertaste. Thoroughly enjoyable, I will look for this again!

BlackHaddock (7583) - Shropshire, ENGLAND - FEB 9, 2017
Pint can from Hollingshead Deli in Orange: drank on 8th Feb 2017. Poured into a Corsendonk badged stemmed tulip (twice): looked good, deep, dark and moody, the head a good tanned blanket of tight foam. Malty with the Oats coming through in the flavour, some coffee and chocolate esters in the nose: they also stayed for the taste part of the brew. Nice, easy drinking Stout with a sensible alcoholic content.

nasty3939 (33) - Fort Walton Beach, Florida, USA - FEB 7, 2017
Bottle at Destin’s WOB. Great ebony body with a mocha colored head. A great beer, no flavors are overbearing, just a well balanced beer with hints of espresso and chocolate. Carbonation is not too intense leaving you with a highly drinkable beer.

Saeglopur (2294) - Vienna Woods, AUSTRIA - DEC 29, 2016
341 ml bottle from Saveur Biere. Thanks to Werckmeister.
Black, oily body, with a medium, creamy, coffee-colored head.
Aroma of melting chocolate, toffee, vanilla, coffee, a banana like fruitiness, toast, some dark bread.
Tastes of coffee, spiced bread, dark chocolate, wood, toast, banana notes again, some liquorice.
Medium, creamy mouthfeel, with an average carbonation.
Finishes smooth, roasty, dry, wooden, with coffee, liquorice, some toast, slight spices.

Tasty! Perfectly balanced, very aromatic, but also pretty refreshing to drink for the style. Just the right levels of roastiness and sweetness, with a lot of diversity and some unusual, but perfectly fitting notes, like banana and spices. Outstanding style example, among the best I’ve had so far!

ChadPoole (478) - Ontario, CANADA - DEC 27, 2016
Pours black with a thick mocha head. Aroma is rich chocolate, and roasted coffee. Malty, chocolate, coffee, milk and ash flavours. Full bodied and smooth, very nice.

fuzzcro (295) - Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2016
Excellent! I liked everything about this one and found it quite a surprise in every way. I simply wasn’t expecting much but it blew me away. Aroma is over the top so I knew it would make my mouth sing...the malt comes through nicely as such a great compliment to the espresso.

ghostbeer (241) - Nebraska, USA - DEC 7, 2016
Smooth, delicious malt and intensely creamy. This might be the best oatmeal stout I have ever had. I love it.