overall
Brewed by McAuslan Brewing (Brasseurs RJ)
Style: Barley Wine
Montreal, Canada

RATINGS: 514   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 58   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Also known as St.Ambroise Millésimée.

In honour of our tenth anniversary, McAuslan Vintage Ale has been brewed to continue the centuries-old tradition of strong ales and barley wines. Vintage Ale is rich and malty, with a surprisingly well balanced and clean hop finish provided by classic Goldings hops. The ale is unfiltered and derives its orange hue from wheat malt blended with pale and Munich malts. The malts also provide a hints of caramelized fruit reminiscent of a Christmas pudding.
McAuslan Brewing will celebrate each new year by brewing Vintage Ale on our anniversary. As a vintage product, we estimate this ale will remain in good condition for a number of years.
The 2006 edition is down from 9.4% to 9.2%. In 2007 this went to 8%. In 2009 this went to 9.8%, and in 2011 it went to 10%.

All vintages of this barley wine (1999, 2000, 2001, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011) are to be rated on this page.

kook (2033) - Perth, Western Australia, AUSTRALIA - AUG 27, 2005
RBESG05: Strong caramel and raisin aroma. Dark amber with a dark beige head. Sweet caramel, dark fruits. A little cloying in some parts, but nice and warming. A real winter sipper.

Emil (6064) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 23, 2005
Bottle. Vintage 2001. Brown colour with a baige head. Hoppy, malty fruity aroma and taste. Medium to full body and a light alcoholic finish.

rickgordon (3878) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - AUG 21, 2005
Bottled. RBESG -05. Amber colour. Gognac-like nose, with dried fruits. Flavour is clearly alcoholic and has notes of dried fruits and cognac. Body got lighter I suppose?

joergen (29216) - Frederiksberg, DENMARK - AUG 17, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 12, 2007 Bottle, tahnks to MPA for sharing. Hazy golden coloured with a small white head. Sweet and fruity aroma of caramel and dried fruits. Flavour of malts, caramel, dried fruits and hops.

JensenTaster (1719) - DENMARK - AUG 16, 2005
(on bottle at RBESG 2005, vintage 2001)Even though is has had some 4 years to mature, this beer is still very alcoholdominated. Nose of alcohol and peat-honey. dark amber colured and with a small, lasting, white head. Not complex in taste either; burnt figs and alcoholwarmth is overwhelming. Too much for me.

hammenlind (737) - Sundbyberg, SWEDEN - AUG 16, 2005
Hazy dark amber, thin white head with some lacing. Malty nose. acidic, vinegar flavour. Somewhat alcoholic. Slight woody in finish.

TBone (18223) - Pori, FINLAND - AUG 14, 2005
Bottled @RBESG’05 (vintage 2001)
Nut brown, small tanned head. Strong "barley wine -nose". Licorice, liquerish palate. Alcoholic punch in the finish. Full-bodied. Good, maybe could gain even more when it’s really old.

Pernille (518) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - AUG 14, 2005
Bottle RBESG. Vintage 01. Rich, chocolate, malty aroma. Full, herby, sweet, hoppy flavor. Feels thick and soft in the mouth. Sticky finish.

collieman (191) - montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 30, 2005
I know I scored high, but I am disapointed. bought this bottle in 2001, kept for a special ocasion, forgot about it for years, found it last month and shared with wife last night. It’s amasing, well aged mild/barley wine hybrid, but I was hopeing for somthing more based on the standard st-ambois pale ale, with domonant bitter american variations of hop, loveing nothing in this world more than extremly bitter beer. So while I was expecting somthing diffent, this was still amasing. Pored fairly clear amberish yellow, High major sediment in the bottle, was probably much cloudier before it settled. Aroma is complex. Oak barel, strong malt, vinila, grass clipping, dry barley and a slight roseyness, and tropical air. Flavour is strong malt, oak tones, vinila, strong earthnotes, dried apricot, brown rice, rich caromel and tea dipped biscut. Aftertaste is where I can finaly taste the hops, bitter aftertaste with notes of mellon, moist fruitcake, grape skins and a final chewy finish. Not my choice, could be called an "Imperial Mild" but it’s great, just great. Maby my next long age barley wine will be as bitter as I’m hopeing for. Cheers

jzzbassman (1638) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JUL 24, 2005
2001:I’m so grateful to my Secret Santa for sending me this. I saved it for a worthy occasion and was glad to share with Mike and Ann. Everything I love about a barlywine, with hints of oak and vanilla in the aroma. The flavor was strong caramel and biscuity, with a bit of dried apricot.