St. Bernardus Abt 12 Special Edition

overall
Formerly brewed at St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 568   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.09/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is recognized as one of the best ales in the world. For the occasion of our 60th anniversary, our brewmaster Bert Van Hecke created a unique and special variety of the St. Bernardus Abt 12. This "Special Edition" contains hops from Poperinge: Challenger and Golding, and has been brewed with black, amber, munich and pale ale malts.

Bill Becker (1905) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 18, 2017
From Nov 2006

Poured from corked and caged 750ml bottle(room temp) a clear brownish gold with a large billowy head of foam that initially grew sitting in the glass. After a few minutes, it settles down to a solid layer with lots of lacing.

My first smell from this brew came straight from the bottle and it was filled with an abundance of sweet malt, candy sugar, and fresh baked bread. My first smell from the glass gave me a strong medicinal nose with some dark fruit.

The taste is a complex mix of flavours. I note fairly sweet maltiness along with some bready tones that give ground to ample hop bitterness and a touch of cloves and anise. A few more sips in and the dark fruit makes a play to be noticed. Plum, raisin, fig are all well represented and most welcome and they balance out the other flavours nicely. And man, I'm appreciating the warming from the 11%abv right now; we've got some cold temps and it's snowing outside. ;^)

I'm now on my second pour and the brew is still clear and the foam is still wonderful and the taste seems to have a stronger sweet malt/candy sugar presence than the first pour but it is not a tad less complex and tasty. Wow. This one's kind of reminding me of the Westvletern 12 I've had in the past(got 2 more bottles of that-yeah me!;^) and I've already made up my mind to try and find some more the next time I cross the border in to Colorado.

Ok...on to the third pour and I get the sediment in the glass and I'm finally getting the cloudy rusty hue from this Quad that I *knew* I was eventually going to get. The appearance factor *alway* shoots up when I get that from a Belgian or Belgian style ale. :^)

The taste from the third and final pour has some solid caramel sweetness to it and more of the dark fruit that I noted in the intial tasting. The bitterness is all but gone except in the finish. Dang...I *just* finished the last bit, and, oh look, my Chimay glass has oodles of lacing sticking to the side reminding me of the wonderful brew that just occupied it a short 30 minutes ago. Yum.

Bottom line: For me, this is a Belgian Ale that needs to be revisted and revisted often despite its rather hefty US$13.49 a bottle. I *realy* hope that I can find some more the next time I visit Colorado. Oh yeah, I already said that didn't I? lol. Great stuff!

SpringsLicker (3681) - Tennessee, USA - DEC 16, 2016
Bottle from my cellar.
Brilliantly clear dark garnet body with a minimal off-white head.
Aroma of dark dried fruits and molasses.
The flavor follows the aroma pretty much. Moderately sweet with a good deal of alcohol warming.

bytemesis (9327) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - SEP 10, 2016
Bottle. Pours hazy hazel, medium beige head, long lasting, none lacing. Aroma is malty, Belgian spice, dates, figs, candi sugar, toffee. Flavor is medium sweet, light bitter, rich and malty. Full body, creamy mouthfeel.

walleye (1102) - Sterling Heights, Michigan, USA - MAY 13, 2016
had this awhile ago just getting around to rating it. pours Mahogany with a off white head. aroma molasses, sherry, raisins, caramel, Malt, alcohol. flavor cherry, fig, dried fruits, vanilla yeast.

deyholla (12439) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2016
Bottle shared by John, thanks! Pours a clear amber with visible carbonation with a white head that dissipates to the edges. Aroma has a decent amount of fruit, Belgian yeast and some sweet grains with a bit of caramel. Flavor combines caramel and sweet grain with a bit of Belgian yeast and light fruit supporting.

BVery (11385) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2016
Bottle shared by John - thanks! Man, one of the beers on my very short list of have to haves. This is awesome. Plays like regular Abt 12, plus a little mint on the nose. 10 years and it’s aged remarkably well. What a privilege to try! Thanks John!

thomashall (999) - New Hope, Minnesota, USA - JAN 23, 2016
Bomber shared by John, thanks for sharing this whale. Caramel brown pour. Amazing sweet dark fruit aroma. Taste follows, so smooth and delicious. Glad I got to try this, amazing beer!

Rubin77 (2650) - Brussels / Bratislava, SLOVAK REPUBLIC - NOV 5, 2015
F: pale brown, stable, creamy.
C: dark red/amber, hazy.
A: caramel, molasses, cherries, cherry, raisins, wine, oak, some bread, some “good musty” tones, plums, dates, even some mint like tones.
T: 0,75l bottle from Zottegem beer fest, BB: 18/10/2011, more than 9 years old beer, full complex body, malty caramel, toffee, cherries, wine warm tones, vanilla, sweet plums, some spicy, oak, brown sugar, little chocolate, alcohol warming after finish, smooth, fair carbonation, simply on of the best quad, a must to try.

Sarlacc83 (2301) - Portland, Oregon, USA - AUG 14, 2015
Bottle. Thanks Homer! A: Mahogany body with a drifting creme head. Legs. N: Raisin, prune, toffee, rye bread, peppercorn, damp leaves, biscuit, some fig. Toast. Light T: Sweet and a touch bitter. M: Medium body, creamy carbonation, no alcohol. O: Excellent beer. Aging great. Bready and delicious.

BOLTZ7555 (3027) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JUN 28, 2015
Muddy Sedona red with a tightly packed cream head that left a spattering of sudsy, soapy lacing. Loads of plum, brown sugar, flaky pie crust and honey-baked biscuit. Invisible ABV makes this dangerously drinkable! Yum!