overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 4257   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic ’Quadrupel’ style of Belgium’s best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. It’s a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

jaghana (6278) - Strasbourg (Alsace), FRANCE - OCT 19, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 6, 2009 Quite intresting Abij beer (near to the trappist beers). Very complex aroma, taste of malt, fruits, caramel as well as yeast. The finish is not so coherent and bitter. This beer is seen as a clone of the Westvleteren but for me there is a gap between them. Anyway the candy smell is very fine at the end.

hirigalzkar (3271) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - OCT 19, 2008
Bottle. Hazy dark brown colour. Big head. The aroma is sweet with a touch of soy. Flavor is sweet and reminds me of port wine. A lot of dried fruits, raisin... But it´s too sweet and therefore not very complex.

twinkie (3) - Brighton, Texas, USA - OCT 18, 2008 does not count
Delicate beer, more delicate than I’m used to. Has a very homebrewed quality. Me and my girl thoroughly enjoyed it. Not a beer to be taken lightly, please sip with full enjoyment. I picked it up for 10.95 per 1pt9.4oz.

Schultsc (572) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Carbonation swells up out of the bottle and thoroughly disturbing the chunky layer of sediment in the bottle--no chance for a clear beer here. Pours a dark mahogany brown with garnet highlights and a big, medium-loose tan head. Dark fruit esters in the aroma with caramel malt and spicy hops along with dates, spicebread, and some alcohol sweetness. More dates and dried figs in the flavor with a dark caramel and molasses maltiness. Additional general spicy hop flavors and fermentation esters. Though hints at some complexity here, it end result is not terriblycompelling. The flavors tend to die out in the light, somewhat watery mouthfeel. This impression is confusing, however, because of the high alcohol content--it is well hidden. Certainly a good beer, but doesn’t leave me with an impression of great depth.

hoplover (166) - Corpus Christi, Texas, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Wow! THis is just outstanding. My friend told me this is one of the few beers he can find nothing wrong with, and now I know why. It was hard not giving this great beer a perfect score. It pours a murky redish light brown with an off white thick but dissapating head that leaves a mighty fine lace. The aroma is amazing. Bananas and prunes, and yet so much more that I can’t put my finger on. And the flavor...mmmmm...it’s fruity and balanced well with hops. Yeah, theyr’e there. The reasin that I gave a 9 for flavor is that the alcohol is quite detectable where I think it could be hidden a little more. The palate has a nice dry, lasting bitterness. With an alcohol sting. Overall I think it’s by far the best Abt ever.

gringo332 (645) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 18, 2008
Smells of caramel and fruit. Beautiful copper color. Largest head I think I have ever seen. A must try.

SphinxTX (2878) - Mata Gorda, Texas, USA - OCT 15, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2010 Bottle. Pours a dark, murky brown with a dirty white, bready fizzy head. Aroma of some dark fruit, light brown sugar, musty, light farm house, a little yeasty. Flavor has a faint sweetness, some toast, light brown sugar, alcohol spiciness, black pepper, a little dirt, burnt caramel, some cobweb. Mouth feel is medium body with a medium-high soft fizzy carbonation. Overall, it’s a very tasty treat. Easy to drnk given the alcohol level. I very much enjoyed....Wish it had a little tang to it....But none the less, has alot of complexity to it. I enjoyed!

movezig (137) - Pensacola, Florida, USA - OCT 15, 2008
A perfected quad. Amazing. Very complex nose and palate. You’ve got raisins, dates, prunes, dark fruits, chocolate, coffee, light caramel...so much. Somewhat bitter rich palate. Just great.

NJJereme (387) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 15, 2008
12 oz. bottle. Pours a dark brown/mocha color almost porter like in its appearance with a medium sized off-white head. Malt and spice flavors with a hint of bread. Light to medium bodied. Finished a little peppery. Quite enjoyable.

borgination (101) - Lee, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 12, 2008
This is a nice beer. A little fancy for my taste. Definitely a sipping beer. Pours a nice brown with a off white head. You can definitely taste the alcohol in this one.