overall
Brewed by St. Bernardus Brouwerij
Style: Abt/Quadrupel
Watou, Belgium

RATINGS: 4196   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.14/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The St. Bernardus Abt 12 is the pride of our stable, the nec plus ultra of our brewery. Abbey ale brewed in the classic ’Quadrupel’ style of Belgium’s best Abbey Ales. Dark with a full, ivory-colored head. It has a fruity aroma, full of complex flavours and excels because of its long bittersweet finish with a hoppy bite. Worldwide seen as one of the best beers in the world. It’s a very balanced beer, with a full-bodied taste and a perfect equilibrium between malty, bitter, and sweet. One of the original recipes from the days of license-brewing for the Trappist monks of Westvleteren.

SAVertigo (20) - Shillington, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 3, 2009
Most amazing beer I’ve ever had the pleasure to drink. On Tap @ Canal Street Pub, and in bottles at my house :) Very smooth everything. Hides the 10% ABV extremely well. Anyone who wants to argue USA Vs Belgium Beer need to look no further then this beer.

Shambles (35) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - NOV 6, 2009
wow. This beer is ridiculous. Find one and drink it. Huge creamy head, i could eat this beer with a knife and fork. plum, sweet, brown sugar. this is incredible beer.

TheDoctor (67) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - NOV 30, 2009
a transcendent drinking experience. beautiful large white head, dark reddish brown pour. malty aroma, chocolate, nuts, dried fruits.

elilyon (3) - Colorado, USA - APR 5, 2010 does not count
Dark, full color, strong flavor. Careful when uncorking the bottle, the beer has a tendency to overflow.

micbk (22) - Jacksonville, Florida, USA - APR 15, 2010
My first quad, and I fear I could be spoiled. Aromas are yeast, brown sugar, dried fruits, alcohol. Appearance is a dark ruby reddish brown with a nice smoky tan head and beautiful lacing. The flavor and palate are so complex I fear I can’t do them justice. My favorite brew to date.

rubbishystuff (2537) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 21, 2010
UPDATED: SEP 26, 2016 If you don’t think you’ll get a chance to try Westvleteren 12 this is not too far off, approaching almost as good, but much easier to come by. Yummy. Serving: Bottle and tap

Sir_Brewster (4) - Texas, USA - SEP 11, 2010 does not count
chocolatey and very malty, very dark brown color, caramel colored head, heavy sweetness, full body, creamy, a sweet finish, alcohol Overall: This beer is so rich its like eating a chocolate bar! While thick and creamy isn’t my personal favorite way to have my beer, this really is a must try for all beer lovers.

joesant324 (2) - New Jersey, USA - NOV 20, 2010 does not count
This is a fantastic beer. Fantastic on the palate and gets better as it goes down.

puboflyons (3447) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - NOV 20, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 14, 2017 Re-rated higher on Aug 14, 2017. From the 25 fl. oz. corked bottle. The pour is a handsome looking dark amber tone with about a three inch puffy beige head. There is licorice, molasses, and anise in the aroma. I also get a bit of mellow roasted malts along with plum. raisin, and dark fruits. There’s a dank, cellar-like quality to it but the dark fruits lead the way. The foamy head tickles the lip. The taste is sweet and malty at first and then on the bitter side with a powerful although muted alcohol sensation. A warming and mildly sweet sensation as it goes down. But it is soft, yet full on the palate. A delicate coasting on my tongue. A very likable Belgian style ale. I rated this back in 2008 and then again in 2014, which was 4.5 and I’m not sure why because I consider this to be my all time favorite beer. When someone asks the question "What beer would you like to have for the rest of your life?" I could easily answer this one.

BillZav (22) - Sarasota, Florida, USA - JAN 24, 2011
A wonderfully complex balance of spices, ripe fruit, & sweet malt. The gold standard of Belgium quads, and one of the world’s best beers period. http://www.billysbeerblog.com/2010/02/m