overall
RATINGS: 75   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
St. George American Brown Ale is the typical American take on a classic English style. This beer exhibits an assertive American hop character overlying a malty richness which lends it a slightly sweet, toasty flavor and aroma. Dark brown in color with a thick tan head our American Brown Ale is a brewed from a full malt base and is well balanced by a spicy/citrusy hop bitterness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Butters (4049) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAY 18, 2008
On draft at Retros Good Eats in Colonial Williamsburg. This is a hot dog joint which boasts a "Retros Draft Lager" on tap - the only beer they serve. The commercial description is: "Brewed to bring out the best taste of our all Black Angus beef hot dogs, by our friends at St. Georges Brewery" Turns out, its just the Brown Ale. Not that great as a stand alone beer, but in all fairness it does complement the hot dogs extremely well. Pours a clear coppery-brown with ample, sustainable light-tan head. Nose of malt and corn. Malty backbone with a nutty flavor and evident spicy hoppiness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
BelgianBeerGal (3934) - Panama City, Florida, USA - NOV 3, 2011
The last bottle I picked up from the brewery and the second of two brown variants. This version was more complex, had a thicker mouthfeel and more roasted notes. Finishes with coffee and baking chocolate. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - DEC 4, 2005
Bottle from the dragon pack: Deep cherry color with a light brown head. Light nutty aroma. Slight roasted malt aroma with some light bitterness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Kinz (3786) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - MAY 16, 2004
Draft. Virtually no aroma detectable. Medium brown, OK head. Slight vegetal hop bitterness, medium to thinnish malt body without distinctive flavor. Not the best beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
Ron (3747) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 21, 2006
one bottle from my trip to OBX 06. This beer pours with a small light brown head on a deep brown body with a nut like aroma on malts. Nice nut flavor with a deep bitter finish on a medium body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
beastiefan2k (3718) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - AUG 17, 2006
So I got a package today from Immy, thanks (and yours will come soon, again sorry for the delay). After opening it I had a bunch of St. George beer staring me in the face. So I wanted to pick something middle of the road for tonight b/c I wasnt sure if I would even rate or drink anything. So the porter was eliminated b/c that had the best chance of being really good for me. The lager was immediately eliminated b/c I really dont like....ah...I mean... appreciate them enough, yeah thats right. So it was between the golden and the nut brown. Since I recently tried a Nut Brown Lager, I thought I would create some pattern here. So I put this 12 oz bottle in the fridge for about two hours. While I got some work done mainly I slacked during that time. I took it out and poured it into a Tripel Karmeliet big tulip glass. Why you ask, well a) I dont like to drink from mugs b) I am moving and I only have three beer glasses not packed, a pint glass, and a Duvel glass and finally c) b/c I love using this glass. Out of the bottle the pour looked very light watery brown. In the glass a bit nicer- a glowing dark amber. No head however, surprising to me, just a bit of lacing around the edge. Fine enough of a color to garnish a three. So one of the reasons I love this glass is that I can stick my big shnoz in there and really get it all in without beer in my nostrils. Its definitely malty but not in a wea heavy kind of way. Its burnt - too burnt. Slight coffee aspect and wood. Toasty and earthy. But you know it kind of combines to be a bit off putting. I found the Moose Droll (I just like to throw that name in as much as possible) to have a very similar aroma but better combination of those elements. So here is the taste. Its a bit weak for me, a lot of those elements from the aroma are lost, which in this case is actually a good thing. All thats left is a mildly nutty taste or what really is the watered down burnt aspect I mentioned earlier. No bitterness or "spicy/citrusy" aspect but there is a very slight tea-like aspect in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average. I actually usually enjoy brown ales but this one just doesnt tickle my fancy. Recently, I had a Nut Brown Lager (Dunkel) from a new label called Kelso and even though that had many similarities I found a lager doing this much more interesting that an ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alexanderj (3577) - Branson, Missouri, USA - NOV 29, 2007
On tap; pretty good tasting beer. Flavor was dominated by a nice combination of chocolate and caramel. Hints of nuts. Color and aroma were as expected. Palate was pretty solid. I would say it is an above average version of the style.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
Elwood (3336) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - SEP 12, 2009
Serving: 12 oz. bottle. Appearance: Almost black with small ruby highlights. It has a small, foamy, light tan head. Poor head retention. Aroma: Very nutty with nice roasted notes and even a hint of chocolate. Taste: Definitely on the roasty side, but a little thin on the body. Earthy with hints of mineral and coffee. I didnt get the spicy/citrus hop bitterness they talk about. The flavor isnt bad, but it lacks a punch. Palate: Medium carbonation with a medium, slightly watery mouthfeel. Medium-long, roasty finish. Just kind of meh. Overall: A very average brown ale that is pretty forgettable. You arent missing anything if you dont have this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jb (3067) - Rochester, New York, USA - JUN 17, 2006
Nice looking beer - dark reddish brown, tan head. Aroma of nuts and roasted malted. Can taste and feel the chocolate malt in the palate , adds some depth and the chocolate taste. I liked this one, thanks Ron.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Capa (2960) - Kitsap, Washington, USA - MAY 15, 2011
Deep brown pour with a thin brown head. Chocolate, molasses, toasted malts, milk aroma. Medium, smooth body. Chocolate flavor with toasted malt, molasses, biscuit, and a lightly herbal, fruity hop finish. Light bitterness. Very nice, full fledged brown.