overall
Style: Bière de Garde
St. Sylvestre-Cappel, France
Serve in Stem glass, Tulip

RATINGS: 882   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
The 3MONTS beer : A wonderful return to nature, with its flavour of yesteryear, this is a beer that was drawn from the wooden metal-circled barrels to fill so many mugs in our Flanders bars! Its bitterness comes from our hop fields scattered throughout the region. Brewed by infusions, it is an old-fashioned rising beer made with strong and hearty Flemish hops. Fermented using top yeasts, like the barrel brewers of yore and clamped like bonderised barrels.

joe1510 (501) - Illinois, USA - MAY 25, 2007
750ml. Bottle $5.99 Sam’s Downers Grove 3 Monts poured poured a crystal clear straw golden. The body of this beer was so light it actually looked like water as it left the bottle. A big fluffy white microbubbled head formed on the pour and stayed strong with the rapidly rising carbonation. A really nice looking beer. The head stays throughout. Left spotty lacing. Smell is very soft. Muscat grapes are the dominate smell. Dusty pollen and bubblegum show up in the background. Smells refreshing and tasty. Really unique scents on this one that go together very nicely. This is my first of the style since being on this site. The other I tried in the past I remember nothing about. This on the other hand will be remembered and sampled again and again. Starts off with a solid muscat grape flavor. It’s the dominate flavor but in no way overpowering. Powdery yeast and mild hay overlap each other. Finishes with some white pepper spiciness and a quick hop flash. Very soft and controled flavors that go together perfectly. Light body that moves through rather quickly with the high carbonation. Light mouthfeel with a refreshing crisp snap of prickliness on the finish. Finishes dry. I’m going cliche again but this is a dangerously drinkable beer. Zero alcohol detection and the light body makes this beer disappear far to fast. I bought this beer figuring it would be good but this is simply an incredible beer. All the flavors go perfect together and the body really compliments all the other qualities. A very refreshing and delicious beer. 4/8/07

Mungo (2470) - Southampton, Hampshire, ENGLAND - MAY 24, 2007
Bottle (from Bitter Virtue). A quirky cork fastening which didnt quite leave enough cork showing to pull by hand. I reach for the corkscrew and turn back to see the cork climbing for freedom, I decided to put my hand over the top to prevent it shooting off and ricocheting bullet like around the room and got a cork fired at high velocity into my hand - suprisingly painful. Despite my initial run in with the cork I couldnt help but like this. A gourgeous multi-layered hop profile with earthy grassy notes and zippier citrus and pleasant spice. There is a pleasant mild yeastiness adding a softness to the body which has a suprisingly light but flavourful feel for a beer of this strength. Not too sweet, not too bitter with noticeable but not unpleasant heady strength and mild acidity. Really enjoyable.

lgklotet (432) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 21, 2007
Bottle 75 cl, one year old. Had a gusher.. Very thin and metallic. Also, confusingly - very little yeast sediment!?! Always a bummer when a bottle that you’ve been holding on to turns out to be infected :-(

Nicko (223) - Ashfield, AUSTRALIA - MAY 19, 2007
I broke my cheap cork screw on this one. Opaque gold, kind of a sharp green apple aroma. Frothy heard, with bubbles like champagne; big ones in the middle, tiny ones rising up the side of the glass. Very smooth and mild for a beer of this alc%, light bitter aftertaste.

Braudog (6804) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - APR 20, 2007
It was a pain in the butt to get the cork out of this with it’s metal strap. When I finally did, this poured much lighter than I’d expected, even for a "godlen ale" ... very light yellow, with a fizzy appearance and light white fizzy head. The aroma is damn near American macro-like, starchy and stark. Likewise, the first impression of this beer almost suckers me into thinking "American light lager" ... but there is a stronger undertow here, a more boisterous cacophony of flavors and a clearly more muscular pull that develops and develops and develops the more I drink. Quite a nice strong, yet beguiling ale. (#2801, 4/20/2007)

jpm30 (1587) - East Central, Georgia, USA - APR 18, 2007
From a corked 750 ml. bottle with "ORDER N: 3037" on the back label and "14-15" on the cork, I have no idea what they mean, stored at cellar temperature and allowed to warm up a bit before sampling in a tulip glass. Poured a hazy bright yellowish golden with a foamy, bubbly, creamy white head, good retention, small amount of laced sticking. Aromas of clove, herbal, a light mustiness, nutty, hints of wood, sugary, sweet malts and sweet fruity alcohol. Good steady carbonation and a crisp, dry, airy, velvety smooth light bodied mouthfeel. I found this to be delicious tasting, balanced and with the dryness I like, grainy and sugary, vanilla, tropical fruity, mainly pineapple, musty and nutty, a trace of wood, clove and herbal, an earthy spiciness to the alcohol, the alcohol provides a low warmth in the palate, and a dry, sweet, grainy finish. This was very enjoyable, easy sipping drinkability, I’m glad I have a few more bottles of this in my basement "cellar."

Snoro (306) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - APR 18, 2007
Bière très effervescente, très pétillante, amusante en bouche. Rafraichissante se boit agréablement tout doucement.

ClarkVV (6839) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 20, 2007
750mL bottle consumed on 3/17/07
Not sure how old the bottle was upon arriving in the States, but it’s from a batch that got here probably in the late Spring/early Summer of 2006. So somewhere between 1 and 1.5 years old, most likely.
I don’t know what it is about this beer that so many people seem rather put-off in their ratings. I remember 4 or so years ago, this stuff was considered a pretty high tier beer. But recently, I’ve seen a lot of comments of it being too sweet (it’s a biere de garde), lager-like (it’s an ale), overly estery or fruity (again, a biere de garde, with a Belgian yeast) and too spicy (hops, come on people, the hop profile on this is about as traditional as it gets). And the rest of the people seem to have nothing bad to say, but still give it a poor score.
Well, anyways, I like it, obviously. I liked it quite a lot. Not overdone on the hoppiness, and seems to allow plenty of fun yeast nuance. Quite stinky when you first open the bottle, signs of a healthy yeast and quite a strong fermentation. It comes out with breathing and leaves behind it rich honey dough, almonds, lemons, sugar cookies and light caramel. Very zesty lemon-orange bitterness and hop flavor on the finish is delightful and very cleansing on the palate, though the beer never gets too sticky/sweet, being well-atteuated. Wonderful carbonation levels when given time to breath properly, allowing for a creamy, engaging carbonation, full lacing and strong head retention. Not thin in the least, despite what some people say.
Wonderful take on the style, without all the breadiness/earthiness that can sometimes muddle the style. Many similarities to a Belgian Strong Golden, but without some of the obnoxious alcohol apparency or dominant phenol character. I’m sure this takes to the cellar wonderfully. Now if they’d just bring back the Biere Nouvelle my part of town.

Hoser (387) - Cowtown, Alberta, CANADA - MAR 9, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 11, 2007 Bottle bought at the LCBO in Ottawa years ago. A great example of the style and dare I say benchmark. Spicy yeast, hoppy and enjoyable wish I bought more than one bottle. Page 396 of Michael Jackson’s Great Beer Guide and only 199 of his 500 Classic Brews to go.

cgarvieuk (25705) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - MAR 3, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 14, 2012 very clear pale golden,full low level malt fruit with a bitter linger on back on tongue. bottle at home ... glden amber ... tghin white head ... soft floral pine zezty hop .. light fizz... soft floral lemon peel zezt ... decent ...3.5 but it went awsme with my dinner 3.9