overall

RATINGS: 67   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22/5   IBU: 13   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%

EBROVIAK (40) - - FEB 29, 2016
I guess I get the ratings I’m seeing if you call this a lager. I’d call it a Belgian-lager cross and very good. Not strictly a lager but I’d sure order it again. Good flavor and body - my fave out of a flight of 4 that included 2 porters.

Bogenschutze (1) - Sterling, Virginia, USA - FEB 26, 2015 does not count
Frankly, I’m drunk and, from an outside-looking-in perspective, wouldn’t trust my judgment (as regards rating this beer on it’s 5-point scale). Nevertheless, this was my introduction to this particular beer and I found it to be EXACTLY what I’ve been searching for.....perfectly seated between Russian Stouts and brown ales. I was also overwhelmed with the fact that it’s brewed right here in Virginia (F--- Yeah!) This beer gives me a mouth-feel and richness in between the two......and thoroughly kicked my ass after about five beers (I’m 6’1" & 235lbs)......perfect! Not too rich (like the former)......not too thin (like the latter)...and perfectly balanced alcohol to allow me to socialize before becoming too inebriated to perform. Okay, so if you like light beer.....take a hike; I’m obviously not talking to you. If you’re feeling "manly" and can’t even begin to consider anything below "Stout" rating, good for you.....go dead-lift a castle. But if you’ve been looking for that "kick your ass" beer with a full flavor and refreshing beer taste, try this beer; it is the shiznit. And that’s all I have tuh say about that...

bigben873 (257) - Virginia, USA - JAN 27, 2016
A nice malty doppel without being overpowering. A little better on draft when I can get it.

Braudog (6717) - Yorktown, Virginia, USA - NOV 23, 2013
Draft at Park Lane Tavern. Dark, ruby brown. Dreamy consistency with a nice smooth malt character. Roasty and caramel flavor components. Very clean and drinkable, not heavy at all. Well done. (#5340, 11/2013)

OnTheTrail (508) - Virginia, USA - NOV 21, 2015
Pours black with thin tan head. Sweet toffee caramel aroma. Taste is straightforward caramel malt. Smooth mouthfeel.

AmericanHobo (70) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 8, 2015
A nice winter warmer beer. Malty and sweetness with slight aroma of hops. Refreshing palate with crisp, smooth finish. Bold taste of roasted malts and toffee with maybe some carmel. Nice beer to enjoy by the fire on a cold winter night.

StoutDr (48) - Virginia, USA - MAR 16, 2014
Not a typical dopplebock. Interesting complexity with hint of winter spice blend. Very light on the palate. I would have liked better with heavier mouthfeel.

dlovell2 (2141) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - DEC 15, 2014
Pours dark brown/amber with a off white head. Roasted & sweet caramel malt aroma with fruity yeastiness. Sweet caramel malt flavor roasty notes. Dark dried fruit flavor in the middle with slight molasses. Finish is sweet dark dried stone fruit booziness.

jgb9348 (6266) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - JAN 7, 2014
Slightly hazy, muddied ruby and violet tinted deep brown body with a thin, one centimetre tall tan head. Aroma of nuts, earth, caramel, oak, toffee and a bit of cardboard. Full-bodied; Deep earthy, malty and very nutty flavours up front with some pecans and peanut butter right afterwards, followed by some lighter earthy and caramel bite and finishing sweet. Aftertaste shows some good complexity with the nuts and caramelised sugars battling it out for supremacy. Overall, a good complex beer that is very deep and strong, but the depth of flavours and intensity is a bit too much. I sampled this twelve ounce bottle purchased from Trader Joe’s in Bailey’s Crossroads (Falls Church), Virginia on 21-November-2013 for US$1.59 sampled at home in Washington on 07-January-2014.

guzzler67 (1696) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - DEC 5, 2014
Deep copper appearance with a medium size tan head and decent lacing. Aroma of dark fruit, caramel and tobacco. Lightly hopped, caramel and toffee flavors sit on top of toasted malts. Medium bodied, modestly carbonated mouthfeel with a lingering finish.