overall
RATINGS: 231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.65/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 81   EST. CALORIES: 252   ABV: 8.4%
Hop on board and experience three "All American" hop varieties; Warrior, Tomahawk and Simcoe. which the brewers have worked into this Imperial India Pale Ale. The brewers focused in on the key attributes of each hop for the best possible interplay of aromatics and bitterness with the malt extraction. The result is a floral,citrus nose, bold bitterness and a hint of sweetness. Once again the Steam Team is on time and on track.

dmschefke's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
dmschefke (583) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - MAY 22, 2009
Pours an a nice amber with thick off-white head. Aroma of very floral hops, slight citrus hops, and a little bit of pine. Flavor is interesting, but nothing unexpected from the aroma. A bit of sweetness balances this a bit too much. This just doesn’t have the bite that it should. Enjoyable, but nothing I would search for again.

Bill Becker (1775) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 27, 2017
From Sep 2007 Purchased at Wilbur's in Ft Collins. Pours from 22oz bottle(best by Feb 2007) a clear gold with a nice thick head of foam that's a very slow shrinker. Lots of lacing and the foam is there for the duration. The smell is grapefruit to the max but some malt sneeks in there as well. The taste on first sip is...huge on flavour. Big citrusy hops literally explode on my taste buds. Big notes of grapefruit and some grass give me an intial impression that here's no malt to be found here but...there *is* some malt. The more I sip, the more I notice that malty sweetness in the background and it's doing a good job of trying to put some real balance in this DIPA. Yep, the caramel is there and I can taste it best when I swish the beer in my mouth but even without doing that, I can taste that malty goodness. That's pretty much what I've grown to *expect* from the style; Big hoppiness followed by a more than ample malt presence. And this one did not disappoint in that regard. In fact, I'm really happy sipping on this 8.5%abv(found on their website) because I think it's a very good example of the style. The mouthfeel feels right and the carbo is lightly done and the finish? To me, it's yet again a fine balance of malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness. I'm pretty impressed with what Steamworks has done here. Would I buy it again? You betchya! Further notes: I read some of the reviews saying that it was on the "hot" side when fresh and could probably benefit from some aging and...I did that(drank my sample 7 months after best by date). I think you guys were spot on and thank you for throwing that suggestion out there. I wouldn't be surprised if more aging would give even better results.... Btw, if on my next trip to Colorado I can find some more, who amongst my traders would like a sample? I'll do my best to get you some. ;^)

Imaena (2359) - Maputo, MOZAMBIQUE - SEP 30, 2016
Drught. This is a good hop forward DIPA with enough malt backbone to hold the whole package together.

zoucrew102 (2104) - - JUL 4, 2016
Bomber, bought in Durango. Floral hop aroma with notes of tropical fruit, citrus hops as well as some caramel malt. Pours dark amber colored with a large soapy off white head that has excellent retention and decent lacing. Starts with caramel malt flavors with a bit of tropical fruit and citrus hop sweetness. Finishes dry with floral hop flavor and some bitterness from the hops. Nice double IPA.

BeerRenter76 (1035) - Texas, USA - APR 16, 2016
Originally rated on 8/27/08. Upon smelling this for the first time it reminded me of my grandmothers pineapple upside down cake. Aroma of canned pineapples and brown sugar were very pleasant. It poured a nice looking amber hued body with ample carbonation, a thin off white head that left very heavy lace on my glass. The most surprising aspect of this was the bitterness, hop bite was present but not as much as expected for an IIPA, in fact i didnt know it was an IIPA until looking at the bottle this morning to review it. Overall this is a pretty good brew, a little on the sweet side

snoworsummer (6069) - baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 25, 2015
Draft at the brewery. Pours clear bright copper with a thick, creamy off white head and lots of lacing. Tastes like grapefruit, hop resin, caramel malt, pine, and creamy orange. Medium body and low carbonation. Smells like pine hops, grapefruit, resin, and faint caramel malt and orange.

Slipstream (2702) - USA - MAY 24, 2015
This was on draft at the brewpub. Resiny hops dominate this brew, with solid results. It isn’t mind-blowing, but it is a good big IPA.

Gription79 (2892) - Bountiful, Utah, USA - NOV 29, 2014
Had on nitro at the brewery. Huge citrus hoppy notes. Soft bready malt notes, citrus, pine. A great beer on nitro, ’nough said.

DarkElf (3066) - La Jolla, California, USA - MAR 30, 2014
30-Mar-14 (22-oz bottle)
This Imperial IPA pours a hazy, amber body with over half an inch of light-tan head that settles to a ring, leaving a wide ring of doily-like lacing on the glass. The aromatic nose offers sweet and caramely malt, candied orange, and citrusy and lightly piney hops. On the palate, it’s nicely balanced between malt and hops, the malts tasting caramely, toffee-like, and fruity with medium-plus sweetness, the hops giving citrusy and piney flavors with medium bitterness. It’s a full-bodied, medium carbonation beer that’s very smooth and goes down way too easy for an 8+% ABV beer. Very enjoyable.

Taosmax (25) - - OCT 26, 2013
Amber with a creamy, off white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of floral hops, pine, citrus, toast, and toffee malts. Taste of pine, citrus, toffee, spruce, with caramel malts, a grapefruit and alcohol finish.

Westchesterco (2188) - mclean, Virginia, USA - JUL 20, 2013
At the brewpub on tap it is a clear golden color with a minimal head. The aroma is citrus and that is what cones through with the taste a slight bitter ending that lingers on the palate.