overall
Serve in Tulip

RATINGS: 668   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
It’s a saison of sorts; hellaciously herbaceous and hopefully contagious. This was not a ready made ale. But it is a ready made collaboration. Meaning Stone and Victory are 2 breweries that are exactly like Dogfish in that they do/brew exactly what they love and they do/brew it exactly like no other brewery out there. (Love - lots of it in this bottle)

-Samuel A Calagione

Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

murphym45 (779) - New York, New York, USA - OCT 3, 2010
On tap at Rattle N Hum. Golden with a medium head. Strong herbaceous aroma with some basil and rosemary and some spicy, malty notes. Very smooth and well balanced. Not too bitter with a long, dry finish.

wilderthanyou (758) - Guelph, CANADA - OCT 3, 2010
I’m giving this beer a 3.7 because it’s a well crafted brew, and deserves a good mark, but I did not enjoy this beer all that much, it just wasn’t my thing. That being said, I went out and bought another one, because i’m sure it will make a great marinade for a roast. Pours a off golden colour with a short lived head. The aroma reminds me of a properly seasoned roast cooking in the oven, it is a pungent aroma of parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. The flavour starts out lemony, ends lemony, and all through out the middle is herbs. Think it would probably go along great with certain meals, like maybe some fried cod and chips or something, but by itself it was just too much of a departure from what I generally drink. So i tried the dogfish version of this beer aswell, and I gotta say, they are pretty much the exact same beers, however, i did feel like the stone version was a little heavier on some bitter hop notes, the lemony bits seems a bit more lemony. Right now I have a prime rib in the oven cooking in this stuff, and have high hopes for the final product.

bubbleflubber (2244) - Swannanoa, North Carolina, USA - OCT 2, 2010
Yellow-gold pour into the glass, with a soapy head that leaves a decent coat of foam lace. Cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg to the nose, intermingling with an underlying farmyard hay and silage. Lots of pie spices, some alcohol, sour grains, grassy hops and light herbs on the tongue. The finish has a touch of alcohol and generous allspice... decently retentive. The body is of bourbon and club soda, dried by the spice contingencies. I really like this saison a lot, and think that the combo of Stone, Dogfish Head and Victory has produced a real winner here.

JaBier (8396) - Capital City, Ohio, USA - OCT 1, 2010
Bottle from Blacklick Wine & Spirits. Clear yellow/gold pour with a medium white head. Malty nose with some Belgian yeast, rosemary and sage. The sage is dominant, almost giving it a eucalyptus smell. Malty and yeasty flavor with a significant herbal character that’s better balanced than the nose and it also has a bitter hoppy finish.

redlight (2325) - Orlando, Florida, USA - SEP 30, 2010
White pepper, cilantro, thai basil, with hints of mint in the nose. Slightly hazy gold color. Herbal and spicy with eucalyptus notes, basil with hints of sage, finishes very dry.

Beerman6686 (6611) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 28, 2010
This poured a medium cloudy amber colorw ith an off whitet head. Aroma was if citrusy and Piney hops with light caramel and 2 row nots. Flavor was a bit yeasty and wheaty, with a nice balance of hops. Didnt really tastes the spices in this, just tasted like a decent belgian IPA, but interesting.

andyhwcinc (1886) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 25, 2010
I picked this up at Archer Liquors in Chicago, IL, enjoyed at home on a Saturday night. I’ve had the Dogfish Head version of this, was interested to try the Stone version. Appearance is a slightly cloudy yellow with a very frothy head, much more frothy than the DFH version...at least more noticeable. Aroma very consistent with the DFH version, spices, light Belgian yeast, and citrus hops. For the taste, I believe Stone uses a proprietary yeast which could be used in this, as the taste is similar but more distinct as a Stone brew. I actually like this one slightly more than the DFH version, but both are extremely similar. The spice profile and malt/hop character balance is there, but perhaps it’s the yeast that makes this one a bit more unique. Maybe I’m just a Stone fanboy, but I like this one a little more.

Rastacouere (6177) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - SEP 22, 2010
Minimally hazy golden ale wearing a 1-inch white foam that slowly diminishes. Surprisingly well integrated spicy peaks supervize the fluffy, bright and bready yeastiness. Quite a green aroma, of course for the herbs, but also for the unripe banana esters that are more pleasant than they sound. Soft orangey and herbaceous hops are well integrated with the herbs and spices. In mouth, it manages to feel pretty dry despite the solid cerealic malt backbone. A clean, peppery, spicy and satisfying take on the style. Cushiony palate with large, but never biting bubbles. I did not expect these brewers to do a Belgian style to my tastes, but Victory’s ability with pils malts must have paid off here.

JStax (7316) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2010
Poured into a tulip glass. Carbonation is absolutely amazing. The head had filled half the glass before I could get the whole bottle in. I had to wait it out. Appearance is a hazy yellow/orange with an enormous yellow hued, white head that does not want to leave the top of the beer. Aroma is very hoppy with hints of citrus fruits and spices. Taste is very much like an American Pale Ale but there’s a little something extra with the spices used. I can definitely taste the parsley and the thyme about midway throughout each moutfull. The rosemary comes through a bit later and I must just be missing the sage because I don’t detect it at all. Finish is a nice barley and yeast laden taste. This beer is somewhat heavy on the tongue but all around enjoyable. This beer is definitely different and I am glad I have the opportunity to enjoy a bottle of it.

beachbum25 (1092) - Powellville, Maryland, USA - SEP 19, 2010
On tap @ Specific Gravity, Salisbury Md- Hazy yellow pour w/a moderate white head. Aromas of yeast, grass, & herbs. Strong herbal flavor on the front end, I’d say the sage & time come thru the most. Pepper & spice as well as some hay/grass & light fruit/banana/white grape. Reminded me more of a very dry Belgian Blonde than a "traditional saison". Pretty good change of pace brew, but I wouldn’t drink it all the time.